Sarah83's Tasty Food Diary

I'm Back!!!

Well I'm back!!!

Had a wonderful time on holiday, lots of walking (including some very high hills!) lots of fresh air and lots of chilling out. Think I slept for at least 10 hours every night, and had loads of exercise in the huge 10 bedroom house we were staying at as our room was on the 3rd floor!!

I did semi-try to be good but being 'good' included lots of ice-cream (found an Italian gelateria so couldn't resist!!), wine a-plenty and more bread/cheese/oil than I would usually have.

I did have a sneaky weigh before we left, and I'd put 1lb on (not bad considering week consisted of chinese, dominos, chocolate) and another 2lb from hols.

I'm pretty happy with this and trying to get back on track now... will definately once back in work.

Unfortunately though before I left for hols I found out that I'm being made redundant (hence the mega-bingeing and being too tired too cook). It's not until the end of 2011 at the earliest and they're closing the entire Cardiff office of 280 people, as well as several other offices across the UK - 2000 jobs in total, so I'm really feeling for everyone else in my situation too.

I'm ok with it though, I've been there for 6 years (will be 7 maybe 8 by the time we close) so will get an ok redundancy and tbh I'd started to have enough of the daily commute to Cardiff so hopefully this is my opportunity to do something I enjoy closer to home.

Well ramble over, and time to have a nose to see what everyone else has been up to!

Ps - have altered my goals and challenges as failed miserably in August considering this was supposed to be a good month. Once I'm back on track again I'll re-think my challenges again

WELCOME HOME SARAH!! You have been missed

I love your attitude, you can see positive about being made redundant, its good that its a long way off, gives you a bit of tired to consider what/where you want to work

3lb weight gain and missing your august target is hardly surprising taking into account the stress you have been under

Good luck for wi this week, am sure those 3 teeny-weeny lbs will drop off, donna x

Thanks hun, I'm not one to dwell on negatives for too long... I'm a very happy person so need to see the positive in all!!

Think my stress pre-holiday was because I knew it was happening before it was announced to the rest of the office as I'm part of the employee representative board - I found that really hard, not being able to tell people what was happening. Will be very interesting to see what the feeling will be like in the office after it was announced Thursday.
I'm glad we've found out now - I would hate to be told it was happening in 3 months or anything. At least we can make plans ready for that time now.

Not worried about the gain at all tbh, I know it'll come off again as long as I work hard for it.
Plus DH is keen to start being a bit healthier too so am getting him onto plan with SW friendly breakfast cereal, and lunches, so hopefully that will motivate me even more.

Good luck getting OH on board, paul and i joined together, we are both at level pegging 26lb vs 26lbs, paul cheats all weekend, starts with a couple of beers on a friday, rolls thru til sunday, with lots of "munching" inbetween, he STS week before last, lost 1/2lb last week and this week was doing brilliantly until he started drinking on friday - any ideas on how to get him to refocus?

What a terrible position to find yourself in, nobody will hold it against you, it wasn't your decision, chin up - are you back to work on tuesday?

Yeah back to work Tuesday. I know nobody will hold it against me but it was tough for me to deal with knowing when no-one else did if you know what I mean!

The good thing for me and James I think is that I pretty much control the shopping and all the cooking so he has to eat what I cook him when I'm with him... it's just when he's at work when he can be victim to vending machines, chocolate and cakes round the office...

James doesn't really have much to lose, he's pretty skinny tbh apart from his beer belly (M in most clothes and a 34 waist), so we've agreed to stop drinking as much at home (so no more buying beer) and start exercising more. He won't be sticking to plan 100% and won't be weighing but will certainly be healthier!!

Holiday Food

Well I did try and keep track of my meals while on hols. Not included is all the wine I drank :eek:

As you can see, wasn't great on a few days..

Saturday:
B: Cheese, bean and sausage pasty
L: Smoked salmon WM roll, Spring onion and cheese WM roll, Belvita biscuit and a tiny bit of bakewell tart
D: Chicken curry, prawn curry, chana masala, rice and raita (all SW friendly as cooked by me from Curry feast book!!)

Sunday:
B: Beans on WM toast
L: Pub lunch: crab salad, coleslaw, WM toast
D: Roast beef, carrots, peas, green beans, 2 small roast pots & gravy followed by strawbs and FF yoghurt
Also 2 ice creams and a M&S cookie

Monday:
B: Tinned cherry toms on WM toast & fruit salad and FF greek yoghurt
L: Chicken and cheese salad with a blob of Light salad cream
D: Indian restaurant: Poppadom, Veg samosa and bhaji, prawn rogan josh, lemon rice, bit of a peshwari naan

Tuesday:
B: Scrambled eggs on WM toast
L: Pasta salad with olives, sundried tomatoes and parmesan
D: Cottage pie and baked beans
Also an ice cream

Wednesday:
B: Quorn sausage, 'fried' egg and beans on WM toast
Orange and almond cake
L: Ham and cheese salad wrap
D: Fish with batter removed, mushy peas, peas and a couple of chips
Small bowl of white choc and raspberry trifle

Thursday:
B: Smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on WM toast
L: Pub lunch: cheese and onion toastie and chips
D: Pasta bolognese with salad, cheese and 3 pieces of garlic bread
Small bowl of white choc and raspberry trifle
An ice cream

Friday:
B: Beans and cheese on WM toast
L: Leftover pasta bolognese
D: Waldorf salad, Moroccan lamb with cous cous

Saturday (returned home):
B: 2 crumpets
L: Greggs cheese and onion pasty
D: Chinese: S&S chicken ball, beef chop suey, EF rice, chips

All in all very very naughty... but could have been worse!! :rolleyes:

Here is today's food where I tried to get back on track (think it'll be back to work on Tuesday which will get me truly back to routine...

Sunday 29th August - EE

Breakfast: Cherries

Lunch: Gherkins, Sardines on WM toast (HEXB), seafood sticks

Dinner: Paella (2.5syns) - absolutely gorgeous!! Made with chorizo, onion, red pepper, garlic, green beans, peas, prawns and mussels yummy yummy yummy

Then it started to go wrong... red wine (about 19syns) and birthday cake (???)

HEXA used in coffees throughout the day

Had a sneaky peak on the scales this morning and have lost 1lb... hopefully I can keep this up to try and lose the 3 I've put on in the last 2 weeks...

Monday 30th August - EE

Breakfast: 2 coffees made with milk from part of HEXA.
Cheese and tomato omelette made with 14g cheddar (half of HEXA)

Lunch: ??

Dinner: Roast chicken with new potatoes, carrots, green beans, peas and some sort of sauce/gravy (not decided yet)

Snacks & Syns: TBC

Hi Sarah,
Glad you had a relaxing time on holiday.
Sorry about the redundancy, but as you said yourself it may push you into finding something you enjoy more :)

Come on spill the beans, how many bottles of wine did you drink on hols?
wine.jpg

The 1lb off as to be a dead cert

Hope you enjoyed birthday cake - save me a slice x

Come on spill the beans, how many bottles of wine did you drink on hols?

Umm... no comment?? !!! :party0036:
But I'm officially giving my liver a break now and will only be drinking minimal amounts when I go out - no more wine in the house!!!

Bit late in updating but Monday was a very bad day (still in holiday mode) included trifle, choc mousse, wine and pizza!! Let us speak of it no more...

Routine of going back to work has got me right back on track though!

Yesterday's food

Tuesday 31st August - EE

Breakfast: Quorn Sausages & beans on WM toast (HEXB)

Lunch: Cous Cous, chicken, mixed leaves, toms, cucumber, apple, spring onion

Dinner: Beef chilli with loadsa veggies (1 syn) with rice and 28g cheddar (HEXA)

Drinks: 1 coffee with splash of milk (0.5syns), 2 decaf coffees with splash of milk (1syn), 1ltr water, green tea, SF blackcurrent squash, diet cherry coke

Snacks: Apple, Chicken mugshot, kit kat (5.5syns)

Total Syns: 8

Pinch punch first of the month

Wednesday 1st September - EE

Breakfast: Sardines in tom sauce on WM toast (HEXB)

Lunch: Chicken salad with mixed leaves, toms, spring onion, apple, cucumber & SF dressing

Dinner: Chicken egg fried rice with garlic, ginger, chilli, spring onion, mushrooms, red pepper, peas, and half tsp sesame oil (1syn)
Followed by strawberries and raspberry jelly (0.5syns)

Drinks: 1 coffee with splash of milk from HEXA, 2 decaf coffees with splashes of milk, green tea, 1.5ltrs water, SF apple squash and soda

Snacks: Toffee Muller, apple, 2 plums, bit of hot smoked salmon, chicken mugshot (need to get out of the habit of reaching for these when I'm peckish coming home from work)

Total Syns: 1.5

Last edited:
Thanks hun, yep the routine definately helps - plus everyone at work knows I'm doing SW so would definately comment if they saw me chomping on a choccie bar!!
Whereas at home my hubby is quite happy to lead me astray... !

Wow had a super duper day yesterday, although not happy about mugshot snacking 2 days in a row. But I guess I did only have 1.5syns so maybe that's not so bad...

Going to try and try some new recipes next week, including Stroppyfellows pasta (thanks Donna!!) and Britmums orange and almond cake, might even make a carrot cake with quark topping too... yum yum. Need new ways to spend my syns if I'm not using them on wine!!

So I'll be scouring everyone's food diaries for inspiration me thinks.
This is all before another camping weekend coming up - me and DH are going to 'Vanfest' with my Dad on the 10th, but I was pretty good last time we camped so should be ok this time... especially if I stay away from the booze!! Will also involve me trying to impress my dad as he'll be staying over our house on the Thursday and Sunday night so I'm in charge of cooking - eek!!

Thursday 2nd September - EE

Breakfast: 2 Quorn sausages and baked beans on WM toast (HEXB) with 1tsp Bertolli light (1syn)

Lunch: Cous cous, mixed leaves, salad veggies and hot smoked salmon

Dinner: Beef Casserole from the freezer (0.5syns), new potatoes, carrots and green beans

Drinks: 1 coffee with splash of milk from HEXA, 2 x 750ml bottle water, 2 x decaf coffee, SF apple squash and soda

Snacks: Cherry toms, Toffee muller, 2 plums, 2 light babybells (part HEXA), monster munch (5.5syns), kinder egg (5.5syns), tiny taste of orange and almond cake (1syn)

Total Syns: 13.5

Last edited:
Well done you on getting back on track so soon! I wish I had your willpower!

I must remember to drink more water - or even some water - I am so bad at it! And I am going to take a leaf out of your book - at least for the next 2 weeks - and knock the wine on the head. I've got nothing planned coming up so shouldn't be that hard :rolleyes: GOOD LUCK with yours! :D

Thank you - good luck to you too!!
It was definitely the routine of going back to work which helped me - there was no way I was sticking to it over the weekend!!

Back