Sarah's first attempt at calorie counting

I agree, I couldn't cope without occasional snacks and treats. Was just annoyed because I was trying to keep myself under 1200 cals this week (I have a christening at the weekend and will definition be going over by 1300) and two bars in a row was just totally unnecessary! My mum makes the most amazing banana bread, and she has promised to have some made when I get home at the weekend. I haven't been home since Christmas so I'm really looking forward to having a slice. And of course, seeing everyone! :)

Hope you enjoyed the cream cake Becky. Sounds good! :)

Hi Sarah,

Are you still feeling okay today? I wonder why you were all shivery last night? I guess sometimes it's exhaustion after work or your immune system fighting something!

Well done for sticking to under 1300 cals!

I think you're doing so well with planning your allowances for a treat at the weekend :) x

Thanks! Though I'm not really, because I haven't actually managed to stick to it. Don't have a very good plan about what I'm going to do food-wise for the weekend yet, except to keep my snacking to a minimum and just make the healthiest choices I can.

Hi Sarah,

Are you still feeling okay today? I wonder why you were all shivery last night? I guess sometimes it's exhaustion after work or your immune system fighting something!

Well done for sticking to under 1300 cals!

Ya, I'm fine again. Thanks Bella! :) I don't know what was up with me. It could have just been tiredness, cos I'm feeling really exhausted this week! Hope you're feeling better today too?

Got home from work to discover that I had almost burned my apartment down!! :eek: Forgot to turn off the hob when I finished my porridge - had switched off from the wall but didn't realise that only turns off the electricity. Oops! Not looking forward to that gas bill!!! :sigh:

Had to stop by a new supermarket on the way home today to pick something up, and got a few new lowish calorie snack foods. So much for cutting back on the snacking... Had a kit kat & a cheesestring while waiting for my dinner to cook. The kit kat was more out of curiosity than anything - they had loads of new flavours that I had never seen before, and I got cookies & cream ones. Gonna try not to eat anything else this eve.

Breakfast (154 cals)
Porridge & sugar
Tea with skimmed milk

Lunch (403 cals)
My usual sandwich with gluten-free bread, ham, light cheese spread & rocket
Muller light
Fruit pot
Cadbury highlights drink

Dinner (466 cals)
Quorn peppered steak with rice & frank's hot sauce
Tea with skimmed milk, and a curly wurly

Snacks (168 cals)
Cheesestring
Kit-kat cookies & cream (so tasty!)

Total: 1191 cals

Well done on another good food day.

I left an electric hob on all night once. ...woke up on the morning to discover a dried out pan on there!

I agree, I couldn't cope without occasional snacks and treats. Was just annoyed because I was trying to keep myself under 1200 cals this week (I have a christening at the weekend and will definition be going over by 1300) and two bars in a row was just totally unnecessary! My mum makes the most amazing banana bread, and she has promised to have some made when I get home at the weekend. I haven't been home since Christmas so I'm really looking forward to having a slice. And of course, seeing everyone! :)

Hope you enjoyed the cream cake Becky. Sounds good! :)

Hi there!! Well done with your journey so far :)

I think that the biggest challenge with weight loss is the constant internal mental battle we have about restraining ourselves... I have it all the time so can totally relate! Often the craving is stronger than the actual pleasure we get from the food. I've been reading lots about 'mindful' eating which really helps put things in perspective.

Got home from work to discover that I had almost burned my apartment down!! :eek: Forgot to turn off the hob when I finished my porridge - had switched off from the wall but didn't realise that only turns off the electricity. Oops! Not looking forward to that gas bill!!! :sigh:

Wow - you were lucky there. I am quite obsessed about going round our kitchen before we go out and to bed, have been known to go back for another look - gas hob, electric plugs and toilet door. (we have a downstairs toilet with a window which is quite low so have a chubb lock on the hall side of the toilet door) :D

The funny thing is that I'm the same. I always do a last check on all the switches in the kitchen and in my bedroom where I use my straightener before I go out in the morning. But 1) didn't notice that the hob was still on low and 2) didn't realise that the red switch at the wall only knocks off the electricity, not the gas. I will be much more thorough with my morning checks anymore!!

Hi there!! Well done with your journey so far :)

I think that the biggest challenge with weight loss is the constant internal mental battle we have about restraining ourselves... I have it all the time so can totally relate! Often the craving is stronger than the actual pleasure we get from the food. I've been reading lots about 'mindful' eating which really helps put things in perspective.

Thanks Rachella. I have a couple of books about mindfulness, I must start reading them.

The funny thing is that I'm the same. I always do a last check on all the switches in the kitchen and in my bedroom where I use my straightener before I go out in the morning. But 1) didn't notice that the hob was still on low and 2) didn't realise that the red switch at the wall only knocks off the electricity, not the gas. I will be much more thorough with my morning checks anymore!!

We bought a new house and carpeted the living room with very expensive cream carpet - been there about a week when I put my curling tongs on the stand on the carpet and went to answer the phone and forgot all about them.. about an hour later could smell burning and went in there to find a long straight line of charred carpet :eek: they had dropped off onto the carpet. Insurance company said it was my fault and would only pay to have a foot square piece replaced and for ever I could see that square.

We bought a new house and carpeted the living room with very expensive cream carpet - been there about a week when I put my curling tongs on the stand on the carpet and went to answer the phone and forgot all about them.. about an hour later could smell burning and went in there to find a long straight line of charred carpet :eek: they had dropped off onto the carpet. Insurance company said it was my fault and would only pay to have a foot square piece replaced and for ever I could see that square.

Oh noooooo. That's awful!! How mean of them to only replace a square of it. When we were young, my brother left a bottle of tipex beside the fire and it exploded all over our new sofa!

Oh no! at least the flat didn't burn down. It sounds like you were careful, it was just the wrong button!

I have got a bit better than I used to be about checking the hobs are off, doors are locked and my straighteners are off before leaving the house.

Re. mindfulness- I've done some mindfulness meditation but Mindful eating sounds like a really good idea.

I hope you're having a good day :)

I have a book on ending emotional eating through mindfulness that's just been sitting on my shelf for months, so I'm going to bring home with me today and start trying to read it! My internet at home has been driving me mad cutting out the last few evenings, so I might need a distraction!

Food is going good today, though still feeling pretty tired so I'm glad tomorrow is Friday! :) I have started having a Cadburys options drink at work in the late afternoon when I start hitting a slump like Becky recommended and I find it keeps me going and gets rid of any chocolate cravings for a while!

They really do help don't they? ! We have said at work we're going to stop at easter but I think I might have a couple in my drawer for chocolate emergencies!

The sachets are 4 for £1 in Tesco at the mo so I've just stocked up :) They're perfect for those times when you need something sweet!

Feeling really exhausted this week! By the time I get home from work, I just wanna flop onto the couch. It's making the eves a bit harder. Really had to force myself to get up and cook a healthy dinner this eve! It's nearly the weekend tho and I'm so excited about this weekend :)

Breakfast (154 cals)
Porridge & sugar
Tea with skimmed milk

Lunch (363 cals)
My usual ham, cheese spread & rocket gluten-free sandwich
Muller light
Fruit pot
Cadbury highlights (late afternoon)

Dinner (514 cals)
Had a big chicken stirfry with lots of broccoli & mushrooms, and some rice
Tea with skimmed milk & curly wurly

Snacks (170 cals)
Kit Kat cookies & cream
Cheesestring
Diet pepsi

Total: 1201 cals

Last edited:
Have you got anything nice planned for the weekend? :) x

Going home tomorrow for the first time since Christmas and my niece's christening is on Sunday and I've been asked to be godmother. I am so looking forward to everything about this weekend!! :) :)

Going home tomorrow for the first time since Christmas and my niece's christening is on Sunday and I've been asked to be godmother. I am so looking forward to everything about this weekend!! :) :)

That's lovely, hope you have a great weekend x

Hope you have an absolutely lovely weekend with your family and enjoy becoming a fairy Godmother! :)

Back