Sarah's first attempt at calorie counting

Thanks for the lovely messages. I had written an entry on here on Saturday before I left, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have posted. I had a great weekend, it was so lovely to get home for a couple of days and it was lovely to see my niece and nephew! :) :) I obviously didn't manage to stick to 1300 calories either day, but I don't think I went over 1800 (which would be maintenance cals) either day, so not too bad. I just tried to make the best choices I could rather than obsessing over cals for the weekend.

On Saturday, I had porridge for breakfast, and brought fruit with me to eat on the way. My mum had dinner ready when I got home, so I had that earlier than usual. I had chicken casserole with 2 potatoes. I also had about 3/4 cups of tea throughout the day, as well as a couple of slices of my mum's banana bread. I also had a chocolate hob nob (I was visiting my mother in law and she had opened them specially for me, so I didn't want to offend her by not taking one. In the evening, I had one sausage, and a sandwich with spelt bread and ham. I think I came in at around 1700 cals (though a lot of it was estimated, so it could have been much more!).

On Sunday, I had porridge and a cup of tea for breakfast. For dinner, there was a choice between beef & chicken. I had chicken and rice with salad on the side. Luckily it wasn't a creamy dish. I did have a couple of glasses of white wine throughout the day, but I stayed away from the desserts. I was delighted with my willpower because there were 4/5 different types of desserts, so most people were having seconds (the afters were in the house, so it was a help yourself buffet). In the evening, everyone else had ham sandwiches with white bread, but I knew I had already gone over my calories, so I just had a couple of slices of ham on its own, and a small slice of banana bread. I think I came in at around 1600 cals.

I travelled back yesterday, and managed to stay under my 1300 cals :)

I had also weighed in on Saturday morning instead of my usual Sunday weigh in, and had lost 1lb, bringing me back into the 11s! :) I was 11st 13 1/2lbs. Weighed again this morning to see how much damage had been done, and was 11st 11 1/2lbs!! So I'm not sure if I got confused on Saturday (sometimes I forget how many lbs are in a stone, so maybe I had actually lost 3lbs) or if I actually lost over the weekend (which wouldn't make much sense!). Either way, I was expecting to see a 12 again on the scales this morning, so was very happy to be a couple of lbs below that! :) :)

Hope you all had a lovely weekend!! :) :) :)

Tuesday:

Breakfast (154 cals)
Porridge with sugar
Tea with skimmed milk

Lunch (403 cals)
Sandwich with gluten free bread, ham & light cheese
Muller light
Fruit pot

Dinner (593 cals)
Quorn escalope, rice & rocket with balsamic vinegar
Tea with skimmed milk
Curly wurly

Snacks (130 cals)
2 mini pepperami
1 stick of kit kat

Total: 1280 cals

Last edited:
Yay, well done for the loss! 3lbs is fab.

It sounds like you had a lovely weekend with the occasional treat but lots of healthy food too. :)

Thanks! :) Yesterday was an unofficial weigh in so hopefully it will be the same when I officially weigh on Sunday!

Haven't been able to get on here much this week. My home internet has been gone for nearly two weeks, and i find it hard to post from my phone (several times I've had long posts written only for the app to cut out & delete everything!). Official weigh in this morn and I'm 11st 11 3/4lbs. Up a 1/4lb since my unofficial weigh in on Monday, but down nearly 2lbs since my last official weigh in so I'm over the moon with that. Especially since I had the christening at the weekend, and also had a work dinner do on Friday night (did my best to stat within cals but it was a set meal and have no idea how many cals was in any of it!). Other than that, I've managed to stick to my cals all week. My husband has been away for a few weeks and got back this week, so it's great to have him home again. I think I'm going to find this week trickier trying to think of meals we can both have. Made a lovely chicken and bacon pie yesterday and just had rice with mine instead of pastry. We are going to nandos today, and I've planned out a low cal option. It would be nice to get down to the single digits in the 11s this week if possible!!

Had a strange day today foodwise . We had a late start to the day, so breakfast was much later than usual. Then I had a lot of housework to do so didn't eat again until dinner and we went to nandos. Was a bit lightheaded by the time I got dinner. Hadn't meant to go so long without eating but the housework just ended up taking a lot longer than I thought. So ended up a good bit below my calories for today. Had a really nice weekend. It was great to have my husband around again! :)

Sunday:

Breakfast (143 cals)
Porridge with sugar

Dinner (589 cals)
Nandos-grilled chicken breast, mash and mixed leaf salad. Not usually the biggest nandos fan bug really enjoyed this!

Snacks (276 cals)
2 tea with skimmed milk
Curly wurly
2 cheese snackajack ricecakes
Cheesestring

Total: 1008 cals

Last edited:
Thanks Systema. V.happy with my 2lbs off this week. Fingers crossed for next week's weigh in, it would be nice to end the month on a high note.

Today was a bit of a funny day. Woke up with a migraine but had a training day so had to go to work. Got worse and worse as the day went on, and eating was a bit all over the place. Porridge for breakfast, frittata for lunch (usually have a packed lunch but all people on training went out for lunch). Then i had frozen pizza for dinner, followed by a curly wurly and a cheesestring. Have no idea of cals cause the restaurant for lunch didn't have nutritional info.

Head is still very sore so hoping I'll be feeling much better tomorrow and will get back on track with my cals!

Hi,

Here to subscribe :) I really enjoyed reading your diary, you have done brilliantly, well done :) Sarah xx

Hi,

Here to subscribe :) I really enjoyed reading your diary, you have done brilliantly, well done :) Sarah xx

Thanks a million Sarah. I'm still very much in the early stages with no noticeable weight loss yet, so I'm hoping I can keep focused and get to target this time around! Are you calorie counting too? Do you have a diary on here?

Forgot to update yesterday. Woke up feeling absolutely horrible. Migraine had gotten much worse. Got better as the day went on, but pretty much had a couch day (except for a few small bits for work that didn't need much thinking). Had a lot of carbs and so bloated this morn from the pizza on Monday and toast yesterday (I usually avoid wheat cause it doesn't agree with me). I did manage to stay within my calories tho! :)

Tuesday:

Breakfast (367 cals)

3 slices of toast & 2 cups of tea

Lunch (316 cals)
1 potato waffle & 6 mini potato waffles (ran out of the full ones)
Cup of tea with skimmed milk

Dinner (450 cals)
Quorn escalope
3 mini potato waffles
Small portion beans

Snacks (128 cals)
Tea with skimmed milk, and a curly wurly

Total: 1261 cals

Last edited:
Aw you poor thing, I totally understand all about migraines as I get them too :( I hope you are feeling better today!!

I am indeed a fellow calorie counter :) I have had great success with it in the past but over recent years have struggled to find a balance......although I hope I have now :) I too am very early in my restart and have my first weigh in on Monday :) I do have a diary here to....

http://www.minimins.com/calorie-cou...-calories-out-restart-0-lb-gone-63-lb-go.html

Please feel free to take a peek :) xx

Well done on staying within when you were not well.

Glad your migraine shifted eventually x

Thanks Sarah & Becky. Feeling much better now. Though now work has gotten stressful. Can't wait for the weekend (though it's looking like I'm going to have to do lots of work over the weekend too). Had a sneak peak on the scales this morning and it looks like I've lost a bit. Hoping for a 2lb loss this week to reach my goal for March.

Forgot to post my food again yesterday. Ended up going a bit over so I'm aiming for 1200 cals today to make up for it. Finding it a bit harder to stay within my calories now that my husband is back because I don't want to have to make two separate dinners and I'm using up more calories now for dinner. Need to get used to not having as many cals left over for snacking.

Wednesday:

Breakfast (143 cals)
Porridge & sugar

Lunch (374 cals)
My usual sandwich with gluten-free bread, ham, rocket & light cheese spread
Muller light
Fruit pot
Tea with skimmed milk

Dinner (655 cals)
Chicken curry with rice

Snacks (236)
2 cups of tea with skimmed milk
2 Kit Kats (1 cookies & cream and 1 toffee flavoured)

Total: 1408 cals

Last edited:
We eat the same meals but I do cut down my portions - did you make the chicken curry and rice, if so put less rice and chicken on your plate and add some salad or veg to bulk it. out. I didn't use to like salad with anything "wet" like curry but now I quite like it or add cauliflower and broccoli.
Do you know about cauliflower "rice" - if not it is cauliflower which is grated and cooked in micro or steamed and used instead of rice - cuts out lots of cals and looks like rice and when mixed with the curry you would not know it was not real rice. Can also be used as potatoes if you mash with a bit of milk.
Hope this helps you a little.

We eat the same meals but I do cut down my portions - did you make the chicken curry and rice, if so put less rice and chicken on your plate and add some salad or veg to bulk it. out. I didn't use to like salad with anything "wet" like curry but now I quite like it or add cauliflower and broccoli.
Do you know about cauliflower "rice" - if not it is cauliflower which is grated and cooked in micro or steamed and used instead of rice - cuts out lots of cals and looks like rice and when mixed with the curry you would not know it was not real rice. Can also be used as potatoes if you mash with a bit of milk.
Hope this helps you a little.

Ooh I like the cauliflower idea. ..I may have to try that!

Back