Sarah's Pregnancy and Baby Diary

Oh, we're like you on names. We find it easy to agree boy names but much harder to choose girl names. We were the same first time round too!

Thanks IB, sorry to hear about your MiL and the stress she causes and is causing you :( The only person we've had mention that was my Grandad saying I hope it's a boy, but I don't know why as I've changed my surname since marriage! And he's already got a great grandson in my nephew. Bless him, he also said to me (and to my Dad), at least DH wasn't firing blanks! That's an 83 year old for you :)

The only people that have touched my bump besides DH are a couple of family members. No one else has yet and must admit it felt funny even when they did, but I'm okay with family and close friends, it's just total strangers that are worrying me from what I've read! It is very strange how people suddenly want to talk to you, and for some, seemingly trust total strangers just because you're pregnant.

We've found with the names that girls names are either too old fashioned or too, too modern for us. Need to find the middle ground. I think once we find out the sex next week then we'll worry if it's a girl! And at least DH can tell people we definitely don't have a clue! ;)

All the best for tommorow Sarah, you must be sooo excited, let us know how you get on ;)

For some reason I thought it was today DOH:eek::)

Ohh yes! when your pregnant suddenly your body is public property!
Everyone wants to know how long you got left.....and when you say 20 weeks, They look on in horror and say things like, gosh your going to massive! or what a big baby you must be having! whilst you look on smiling but thinking to yourself fu(k off and mind your own bloody business my baby is growing just fine!!!!!

I know this might sound silly but when I start to show i fel like people look at me and think ''so she's having sex then!''lol silly I know!
I just don't like the thought of others knowing i do for some reason!

As far as your sil is concerned tell her to mind her own flipping business and then blame it on the hormones! or every time she asks you a question just sit there with a blank expression and go ''ummmm, i don't really know!'' lol

Monday morning, quick weigh in, put on 1.5lb over the weekend :( I'm surprised as it was an energetic weekend! So now I'm on +3.5lb, which I'm not happy with. So no more icecream (well one a week maybe), and need to get more fruit and veg in me which I think I've been lacking a bit recently. It was great when the sun was here, all I wanted was salad, but now it's like winter in the NW, it's too cold to get cravings for salad!

In other news, the baby is feeling fairly active now. I spent half of last week with constant wind and burping (much to the amusement of DH). Most of the time it wasn't painful indigestion, just the constant need to burp. This most likely coming from the little acrobat inside! I'm still getting winded once in a while but most days I can feel tiny little kicks below my belly button which I love to feel. DH possibly felt his first kick on Thursday night, either a kick or a big bubble, which came from the baby anyway, but I think it was a big kick. Only had one or two of those as it made me jump too! So just hoping it gets stronger and he can feel them more often.

It's nice as now I go to bed around 10pm, and then he comes up and lies there with his hand over where the baby is for about 20 minutes waiting to try and feel something. No TV on, no computers. Despite spending all day together working etc. it's nice to have a quiet period of time together like that.

Tomorrow morning is scan day, so keeping everything crossed that the results are good, and if the baby is behaving itself, hopefully we can find out if it's a boy or girl :)

Had my 20 week scan today and got the all clear, everything all fine, and it's a boy! Spent a good 10-20 minutes staring at the ceiling, and spotted that DH was trying to record the scan from behind the sonographer (she didn't see!). Not sure how well it came out. Unfortunately the photos we got weren't great, although you can see the head quite well. She showed us a better shot on the scan after she'd taken all the pictures she needed, he was on his knees bending over with his hand behind his back, and you could clearly see the head, spine, legs and hands.

I had to wait after and then see a consultant as I'm high risk. My BP was fine for once (probably because I didn't expect it to be taken today!). They also checked my weight and the consultant then declared how I'd lost weight (which I pointed out no I hadn't!! you'd think they'd taken into account factors such as liquid/food in your body, clothing, and in my case, hospital vs surgery scales!) According to my notes I'd lost 6-7 kilos in a month and now I've put almost all of it back on a month later!

She also measured me and said the baby was measuring correctly for the dates which I presume is good news! Finally I've been booked in for a GTT test, despite the last consultant/registrar telling me I wouldn't need one as my BMI was under 40. I'm not fussed, better to be safe and get checked, I'm just getting a bit lost and confused with all my appointments now, especially as I have 2 within 2 days now at the end of next month, and probably a midwife appointment at the end of the same week!

Still... all good news, and back on cloud 9, especially that now we don't need to worry about girls names (which we're both useless at!) :D

So glad all was well for you, I have to have a GTT test because my BMI was over 31, it must differ between health authorities, I don't mind as my G.mother was an insulin controlled diabetic it developed during her 2nd pregnancy, so I am at an increased risk anyway.
I wouldn't worry about too many appts , I think 1st time mums don't get enough :rolleyes: you may find that your regular MW won't want to see you if you are already being seen that week.
Measuring correctly is good news, it means your baby is average size for the weeks that you are, its as precise as they can be and a fairly good guide.

Thanks both. IB - yes, high risk here is BMI 35+. I was 7lb over that at my booking in, so at the low end of it.

Jo - I must admit, there's been a couple of long periods where I've felt I'd like to see my MW again, although we have a MW shop in town (if you've not heard of this before then I kid you not!), where you can just drop by if you have any concerns or want to chat.

At first, having to wait 11 weeks to see anyone was the killer, just to remind/prove to myself that I hadn't imagined it all! :)

Last edited:
Awww wow Jo, thank you! I'd not gone looking elsewhere yet (only saw it last week and been working 8+ hour days most days since!). Will get DH to get bidding on eBay, he knows the system (despite being a web dev, I've never used eBay...!).

I figured NCT would be at the higher end costwise. Most of the stuff in their catalogue I've seen cheaper elsewhere.

Loving the results of your boredom ;) You're as bad as me. I think I need to put a block on our router to all baby clothes sites during the day! Already had a good look through the new Debenhams sale!

No problem, just glad to put my boredom to good use LOL, Havent been on Debenhams yet so will have a look later thanks;)

Jo - Currently the only bidder on that suit on eBay :) Got DH to buy me the support pillow of your other recommended link while he was on there yesterday too!

---

Eek! I've put on another 1lb, and am now up to +4lbs. Need to take some measurements today. It's been a while so will be interesting to see if much has changed. I'm definitely 'sticking out' a lot more as I noticed the other night (when I couldn't see my feet!). Yesterday I managed to pull or snag something inside which caused tremendous pain when it kicked it. I bent over to pick up something, and in the lower left of my abdomen this stabbing pain kicked in, but only when at certain angles. Sitting still I was okay for the most part, but getting up and walking around hurt.

A few hours later I was a bit worried as I'd not felt the baby all morning and called the midwife or reassured me and suggested either ligament pain or possibly my appendisectomy (sp?!) scar just feeling the stretch! Oh dear, I've got a couple of other scars in the potential stretch region... could be fun! The stabbing pain lasted on and off all day, but thankfully has eased today else I'd have been down the GP!

Plus I felt the baby kicking on occasion in the afternoon and last night he was full of energy, around the time I was going to sleep! I'm guessing it was just ligament pain. Feeling like an old woman at times!

So glad it's finally Friday. This week has dragged on a fair bit. Spent half of it doing paperwork, quotes, admin etc. Not stuff I really enjoy doing, but it must be done. Plan for the weekend, besides rest, is a bit more tidying and getting some old clutter cleaned up and on eBay, see if we can get a bit of cash for stuff. Need to make more space in the house ready for the baby!

Have a good weekend all :)

Am mildly annoyed. The suit we bid on, on eBay, was removed on the weekend. It seems that over 24 hours after we placed our bid the owner rejected it and delisted the item. At a guess either not happy that they'd only had one bidder, although there was 48 hours still to go, or they sold it away from eBay. This is why I don't use it... frustrates me! So I'm keeping an eye on eBay, but I know at present where I can get the suit for £26 and at the moment that's the cheapest option. It'll be used quite a bit so I'm not overly concerned at spending out on it, especially as we don't really need to buy any other clothes besides a few bibs.

We went to a carboot sale on Sunday and picked up a cute little newborn fleece baby grow and hat for 50p. Probably been worn once by the looks of it as it looks brand new! So much baby stuff for sale at this carboot sale, so we'll definitely be going there again (and it's in the afternoon, even better!). We also got a baby bouncer chair for a few quid, but I'm hoping to see if we can get a new seat cover for it. Plus some story books to give us something to read to the baby and eventually for them to read themselves.

We're off down to my parents on the weekend after a pitstop at a wedding reception Saturday night. There's a couple of showrooms near them where we can go and look at pushchairs and other accessories, so we've got one planned for Sunday and another for Monday! At least I can get a third opinion from my Mum then on the pushchair we're considering, and then start to work out the cheapest place to buy it! Plus we'll be going through all the clothes my brother's lent us, work out what's there and what we need to get.

The little bambino is still semi active inside but his kicks still aren't noticeable from the outside besides the occasional one. I really hoped you could feel him by the time I saw my parents again so they could. I know they've 'been there, done that', but I'm sure they'd still have liked to feel him kick. Still, we've got a week so he's got time to practice and get stronger!

Ooooh how annoying :mad: thats never happened to me but I know it does happen although its not supposed to. Still its def worth the price if you have to buy it new and its gorgeous:)
Well done at the bootsale, I just love a bargain, 2 of my ebay bargains came this am, 3 new in packet sleepsuits from M+S and 2 newborn outfits (all in ones) also brand new with the tags on, they are all gorgeous and am very happy, paid 7.00 for the lot and that inc postage :) I tend to look at the items without much time left and you can grab a bargain ;)
I love looking at prams , which one are you considering. I have ended up with 2 :eek: We have the Brio Sing and Cosatto cabi in Free as a bird. Its too long a story to explain why we have 2 brand new prams and car seats !! but I have decided to keep the Cabi as it is just gorgeous and the chassis is much more compact than the Brio, all I need to get now is a footmuff for the carseat otherwise I know with baby due in Nov I will be paranoid about her getting cold without one.

We're now considering (I say now as it keeps changing as we keep 'dropping' our previous choice due to various reasons!) a Baby jogger city mini. Not a 3 wheel fan, don't know why, just don't like the look of them, but the pros outweight that single con. It's lightweight, can be used from birth, and most importantly, you literally lift a handle in the middle of the seat and it folds over. It goes so small that it could fit behind a car seat, no need to put it in the boot if you didn't have the space. Which means it could fit behind a couch in our lounge or, at a tight squeeze, in our 'hallway' (about 1m squared space!).

The wheels just pop off too by pressing a button, so the space saving is very impressive. It'll last the LO up to about 2-3 years and if we intend to have a second (well we want to have a second...!) then we'd probably aim to have a 2 year age gap so then we'd get a cheaper stroller for the toddler and use the baby jogger for the newborn. That's the intention, depends if it works out like that!

Lifetime guarantee on the chassis which I think is good too!

But I have to say that the world of pushchairs is phenomenal! We've gone from Gracos (don't do isofix bases, which is a must round here), to just reading about every brand going I think, to Britax (their new line for 2010 lacks in quality and the car seat is a bit too upright), now to baby jogger!

So we'll see what my Mum thinks as Mum's know best (most of the time!) ;)

Oooh its so exciting buying your pram, enjoy the experience :)
Now I REALLY don't want to put you off but I have had 2 3 wheelers, I had the Mothercare Urban extreme (they had only just started doing 3 wheelers then) and found that on corners I would become unstable, then about 2 yrs ago I had a Britax verve thinking that they may have rectified the centre of balance problem but I sold it about 2 mths after as it was worse than the Urban:( However I have a very good friend who has a standard version baby jogger and says she has no problems with it at all, so could depend on who is pushing it? Just try cornering it in store and make sure you are happy with the way it handles ;)
You will probably go to look at that and find yourself loving loads of others, that what usually happens to me, but then I am a self confessed Pramaholic, My long suffering husband has given up protesting now LOL.
Also and I am sure you have already check online for reviews (remember that some people like to complain about silly things, so take the broader picture) and unless the shop has a sale or special you will find it cheaper online so don't let those pesky sales people push you into anything cos your excited :rolleyes:
Enjoy :)

Back