Sarah's Pregnancy and Baby Diary

Yep, I'm blown away by the amount it's saved us! Plus a few books to read too (I've never read so much as now!) :D

Well we've hit 14 weeks now. 3 more weeks and I will hopefully get to hear the baby's heartbeat at my next MW appointment, 6 more weeks and we'll get to see it again on the scan.

I'm starting to notice that my usual lounge about trackie bottoms are tight around my waist, especially come the evening (a bit of bloating after dinner?). I have picked up a cheapo pair from Tescos which still have room to expand in! My weight is still staying constant too. I have been measuring myself and I am slowly getting a little bigger around my lower waist, just below my belly button. I'm just wondering what will happen and/or what I'll feel once the baby moves up and behind the flab (or will the flab just move up higher or disperse around it. Luckily (in the loosest sense of the word!) a lot of my flag is on my backside and upper thighs, plus on my back, so hopefully my oversized belly won't cause too much restriction to see/feel the baby.

Still getting the occasional headache. I was worried at first that my blood pressure was too high and that's what was causing it. I've invested in a BP monitor anyway as I'm more prone to high BP later on, plus I prefer to keep an eye on it. When it's 140/80 in the MW's office I was worried, even though I knew it could just be because of where I was! So I've been checking it and it's actually coming in quite low, at around 110/70, yesterday it was 108/72. Now I've looked into low BP and headaches and that can also be a connection which makes sense, especially as I feel faint if I stand still for too long. However they're not so bad so I'm hoping that they're beginning to ease too. My sleeping has increased now, although I'm still waking up to the dawn chorus and needing the loo!

Still, another 2 days and it's the weekend :D

You will notice that your bump appears much bigger in the evening, don't ask me why its just something that I have always noticed, you can look about a month more than you are come the evening :) glad you are starting to fell a little better overall though;)

Thanks both. Jo, maybe it's all the fluid you take in during the day accumulating there? Waiting until you go to bed and then decides it's time for the loo ;) I've stopped having a fizzy drink with dinner (appletise, my 'wine') and last night I felt a bit better for it so I think I'll stick to doing that for a while.

---

Finally heard back from NCT about their antenatal classes and we're reserved for the late November/December babies which take place over October. Just got to wait for their pack to come through the post and confirm our place (probably involving money!). I know they cost a little but everyone we've spoken to who have been on them said they're well worth the money. We'll still go on the NHS ones too but the NCT ones I think will be much smaller groups (8 couples max) which I think I'd prefer anyway. My brother's GF meets the ladies from her group every week still which is nice, especially as I don't know a great deal of people up here.

We only have the public health classes out here but all my friends in London who've done NCT classes thought they were great. Hope you enjoy them.

Hey Kirsty, am 99% good here thanks. Hope you and Sienna are well?

Thanks IB. I've heard good things off people who have gone to them so hoping they should be worth the money, although still waiting for the pack to come through the post... I'll be phoning them up at this rate!

---

Today has been... hmm awful! We had a BBQ yesterday evening with friends over, and I didn't get to bed until just past midnight, very late for me. However, about 3am I woke up and felt awful. Seriously hungover just without having the alcohol the night before! I probably ate a little too much, but I spent all night drinking water. I can only presume it was too hot last night (it is a bit warm right now). I got up and felt so thirsty I went through half my litre of water I keep by the bed, the other half went about 8am!

I didn't sleep well and my head has been banging most the day. Took a walk out round a marine lake by
us this evening which was nice, helped clear my head a little, but I can feel the ache coming back :(

I'm seeing the registrar tomorrow in obstetrics so I'm going to mention about my headaches, although I know he'll probably just say it's a side effect of the pregnancy. I just hope they clear up soon as when I can't work we don't earn money which isn't good right now :(

Sarah, are you short-sighted? My optician told me that it's common for your prescription to change during pregnancy which could cause the headaches. However, he also said there's not much you can do about it as normally it changes back after birth so it's not worth buying new lenses/glasses.

I am a little. I have glasses for driving and I tend to put them on when watching things on the tv that I want to see clearly. I have felt that my vision has sometimes felt a little worse when watching the tv, but I put that down to tiredness. Once I have my glasses on everything is crystal clear.

I'm seeing my Uncle next week who's my optician (keep it in the family!) so I'll mention it to him and see what he says. Cheers for the tip :)

Wow, what a waste of time! In there for 9.30am, finally got taken into a room at about 10.10am, had my BP taken and urine checked by a nurse/healthcare person, then had to wait another 30 minutes for the registrar. She sat down, told me why I was there (which I already knew and had been told), advised me to see a dietician (which I promptly told her I had an appointment in 2 weeks), asked some family history which hadn't already been asked 3 weeks ago. Told me about testing for gestational diabetes but only if my BMI was over 40, which it isn't. Then said to come back at 28 weeks when they'd check for the baby's growth.

Why I've lost a morning's earnings I don't know. I appreciate I'm high risk, but it took 90 minutes and the only thing I felt was worthwhile was just my BP being checked (which was higher from waiting and anticipation of the appointment), and my urine being checked. I see the midwife in 2 weeks, the rest of the questions could have just been asked then if they'd needed to check anything.

Surely this is a waste of their time as much as it was a waste of mine?! I'm happy for extra attention, but only if it's of use. I'm in limbo right now, I can't feel the baby, I don't feel any symptoms (besides the odd headache which I think is actually now heat related and just can't be solved with strong painkillers), and I'm not putting on weight (although I look pregnant now) so I'm kind of left feeling is everything okay?! If she could have at least eased my nerves it wouldn't have been wasted, but nothing was really done.

Think I'll be working Sunday to catch up with work missed!

I feel for you Sarah, maternity care is so much less 'involved' these days, I was shocked when my midwife told me they don't listen for a heartbeat until 23 weeks anymore, with my others it was everytime you visited them , which was more frequently than now. I can in a way see why they do that as I did end up spending a day on the early assessment unit as they couldn't find a heartbeat on my DS I was about 16 weeks. When I had my last AN she was a different MW who said that although it is policy not to listen in she does anyway but not to worry if she couldn't find it.
So i do understand with this being your first you need a lot more reasurrance and to feel that you and baby are being cared for. As for not feeling movements you probably won't for a few more weeks yet, and during weeks 12 to about 16 you really do feel normal so there are no real signs of pregnancy, but please don't worry all that is completely normal, you ill soon start to feel those flutterings and your tummy will start to rise up and cause all sorts of discomforts LOL, Take care and try not to worry, Jo

Thanks Jo, no I realise I'm not going to feel anything. I keep lying still at night to see if there are any slight flutters but even if there was a chance of feeling them, knowing my luck the baby is probably asleep!

My MW said she'd try to see if she could find a heartbeat at my next appointment in 2 weeks so I'll be reminding her. She's pretty nice however, and they did say not to worry if they couldn't find it. I'm more concerned that my size will hinder that but we'll see.

Just don't really understand what the point of today was. If it was majorly about my weight I could understand but everything done could have been asked by my MW.

Was so tempted to use their doppler that was in the room (where we were left for half an hour playing how many girls names can we think of!) but didn't... ;)

Currently away at my parents for the week so being looked after even more than usual (don't want to take anything away from how well DH has looked after me!). It's warm down south! No real rain down here despite home getting hammered (at least the plants are well watered!).

My headaches seem to be easing down more this week, last week was horrendous and had them almost every day. I'm trying so much to keep them at bay. Plenty of water (I do anyway but even more!), even later at night despite it meaning I'll need the loo during the night. Snacking on fruit during the day to keep my blood sugar up. I've even got some roasted peanuts just for a little salt as I don't put salt in my food at all. I just need to pick up so isotonic drink to try in the morning. Anything to see if they'll go! However I'm getting to 16 weeks so I'm hoping, from what I've read and who I've spoken to, that they'll clear off soon after!

Otherwise am plodding along as usual. I gave myself a bit of a fright yesterday. We popped out to the shops as I wanted a comfortable, expandable blouse for smart wear, and some cropped trousers too. On trying them trousers on I bent over and a niggly achy pain started very low down on my front (I'm assuming just lower than where the baby is). It stayed all night, and if I stood on my right leg it ached, however it didn't when I sat down. It seems to have virtually gone today so I'm guessing I just pulled something whilst bending forward. I'll be taking it much more carefully from now on!

I really need to get out walking now that I have a bit more energy, and that'll probably help with any minor niggles I keep feeling too (not to mention some fresh air). At least the football has slowed down on TV so DH will be okay about an evening walk for a few nights, at least when the footie isn't on!

Enjoy the pampering! I'm always getting sharp pains when I bend or get up too quickly and it can be unnerving. Generally nothing to worry about though.

What a wonderful week away at my parents. Really had a great and relaxing time. The only bad point was the heat. They're about 5 degrees hotter down there than we are up here! It's much more comfortable up here, especially at night.

I'm due to see the dietician tomorrow so it'll be interesting to see what they say to me. I'm currently 3lb over my starting weight, but that's all from last week. Homemade scones and jam mid morning, icecream or dessert after dinner etc. I don't think the weight will stick around much now we're back to our normal eating routine.

I'm also not sure if I've started to feel the baby. Sunday night I was in bed (by 9.30pm ahem!) and whilst lying on my back and concentrating I could feel a little 'brush' just below my belly button every 4-6 seconds. It wasn't consistent (as I counted!) however I wasn't sure if it was just my insides bubbling or gurgling as I'd been uncomfortable for the 3 hour journey home that night anyway.

So last night, again whilst in bed on my back (can't feel it in any other position), I sat and read a book and felt the occasional brush. Slightly different from the previous night and not very often. Am sure it's the baby but I'm also worried that I'm so desperate to feel it that I'll think anything is it right now! I realise this is why they say for the first time mother you don't feel the baby until later as you don't realise the flutters are the baby earlier.

At least if I say to myself it's the baby then I can feel a little more confident that the baby is fine (which I'm sure it is but until Friday comes, when hopefully the midwife will try and find the heartbeat, I'm just in a bit of limbo with no symptoms and a slightly oversized stomach that could be classed as having eaten too much!).

My headaches have kind of gone, well the hormonal ones have, however I've found that I'm much more susceptable (sp?!) to straining my neck which causes awful splitting headaches. Luckily (you have to look for the silver lining in these circumstances!) a good ice pack numbs the pain and eases it. I had this when I woke on Thursday and it lasted until Saturday afternoon, and then yesterday, which I put down to the driving home and looking over my shoulders. We've got the month 'off' from travelling too far which is a welcomed break so providing I don't wrench my neck in my sleep I should be okay!

Awww it sounds like youve felt the little one moving! I was 15 weeks gone when I felt my son for the first time :) It gradually gets stronger until one day you see your tummy move :) so cute, man Im getting broody now heh heh x x

Aww thanks both. I felt more last night as well, not very consistent at all, just the occasional one, then suddenly quite a few (probably doing somersaults!), and then back to the odd one here and there. Looks like it's active around bedtime!

I really felt sorry for DH as he desperately wanted to feel it too, and I had to try and explain how it felt and how he wouldn't be able to feel it yet. He still kept his hand on my stomach bless him.

---

So yesterday I had a bit of a scare. My nephew has caught measles and we only saw him just over a week ago. I've been vaccinated but after reading a different thread here about them, and the possibility that my vaccination may have worn off, naturally I was scared.

It's frustrating with measles and the conflicting info about. Online on the NHS site amongst others it says that there can be a risk of stillbirth, miscarriage etc. yet I called my surgery and the doctor I spoke to pretty much brushed it off as nothing to worry about at all. My Mum spoke to an obstetrician where she used to work, and she said it should be okay but I may need tablets or something. I'm still waiting to hear from my midwife.

From what I've been told since, you're only contagious 4 days before and after the rash appears, and so if that's the case, and the rash didn't appear sooner than my brother spotted it, then I'm okay. It's still a worrying time, and of course I also feel so much sympathy for my nephew too. Typically the day before he was due to get his injections!

Dietician appointment later today.... :)

Well the appointment with the dietician didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know! I told her what I ate on a typical day and the only holes she could pick was the potential calorie content of the fruit smoothies (25 cals a packet - yes it's the ones for kids!) and orange juice (100 cals for a glass) that I have, plus telling me to watch portion sizes. Well considering I've been far less than normal I think my portion sizes are pretty okay.

I forgot to ask her what she recommended for a daily calorie intake, however I believe I get around 1500-1600 calories a day on a good day, but sometimes not as much. I just try and take in iron, calcium and fruit/veg when I can.

So her answer, which we pretty much told her anyway, was exercise and lack of it. It's very hard to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it, how working for yourself can sometimes be. It's easy for someone who finishes at a set time, and can leave their job, to say go for a walk. Yesterday I started work at 8am, I stopped briefly about 12.45 to eat a sandwich DH made, then was working again by 1pm. DH made dinner, so I stopped to have that and carried on with work until almost 9pm. Went outside, watered the plants and then went to bed!

Unfortunately, when the work is there is has to be done and DH and I do different jobs and he can't do mine. If I don't work we don't get paid. We're currently recovering from a couple of low income months, and need to build up money in the company to cope with when I go on mat leave too. However, I wouldn't swap it for anything. The fact that we'll both be at home when the baby is here is going to be great :)

So I'm due to see them again at the end of September, it'll give me motivation apparently... clearly, because I have none for my baby :rolleyes:

It was pretty much what I expected...!

Back