Scales - how often do you get on

Piglet

Is so doing it this time
Hi everyone
I was just wondering how often everyone else weights themselves. When ever I start a healthy eating plan aka 'A Diet' :rolleyes: I keep jumping on the scales... sometimes more than twice a day! I have gone for months without bothering to weigh myself but now that I have started SW I'm obsessed again. The nice thing at the moment is that it says I've lost 4¼lb!!! :eek: :D :eek: :) which is what is keeping me going and away from the toast with butter AND peanut butter and the Twix in the fridge!
Piglet x

I've done LT TFR for about 8 weeks, am now in 2nd week of refeed and then plan to do maintainance to loose some more. I weigh myself every day! On former diets, I would have weighed often, but not that often. I would always have weighed myself on the day of an official WI, so that I could compare their scales and mine.
With a TFR diet, the weight loss is fast and dramatic. In the first week, I literally saw 2 - 4 lbs down a day! After that it did slow up, but I still weighed every morning. I might miss weekend mornings if we were away - first time that happened, I took scales with me, but that's not great as different position on floor etc etc. So now, it's in the spare room and is not moved at all. I get up, go to bathroom and then go in and weigh myself. I have continued to do this through my refeed as if there is any increase on the scales, I want to deal with it.
I know that most people advise against this, but when I was quite young I heard someone tell my mother that her secret to staying slim was weighing herself every morning and if she weighed anything above what she wanted, she dealt with it that day. It has stuck in my mind ever since - that's about 30 years!! That's what I hope to do with my maintainance - well once I get to goal. I'd like to have lost another stone on TFR, but life and events got in the way, so I'm going to give this a go for a few weeks and see. I think I'd find it very hard to go back now, having tasted food again.
I do need the motivation of the daily WI. I'm not nearly as tempted by food as I used to be, but last night, I was at the fridge, looking at these chocolates I was given about a month ago - I even took out the box and looked at the descriptions - but then I put them back. My worry wasn't having 1, it was if I could stop at 1!!

Generaly not a good idea to keep hopping on the scales all the time ,can really mess with your head as at different times of the day your weight goes up and down .But just like you I get on them no less than twice a day usually a lot more :confused:.I have my night weight and morning weight tracked .Think when you are on a diet like sw /ww it is better to just weigh once a week but easier said than done for peeps like me and you xx Good luck with your journey

I'm a daily weigher, I not it's not the best idea, but I can't help it, it's a compulsion!! :p But at least it's only once a day! It's not so bad if you're doing a VLCD as when I did Cambridge, you could see a difference just about every day, which was awesome, but not I'm doing Diet Chef, which is higher in cals and a lower weight loss, the scales move a lot slower - not that it'll stop me tho' :D

Chocs in the fridge for a month is amazing Frankiec!! Thats real willpower! :cool:

And you're right Mandye but like you I cant help myself :sigh:

Px

I weigh daily. I like to see how different foods and the time of the month affects my weight so I'm not scared to death if I weigh in on a 'heavy' day?! I use a graph that has a 'trend' line (i.e. show the average weight as well as the 'actual' weight) so as long as that stays stable or goes down, I'm happy enough to fluctuate from day to day. I always weigh at the same time on the same scales though, and wouldn't recommend it if a 'heavy' day will demotivate you?

vlcd = very low calorie diet like cambridge diet or w8 .they are total meal replacment diets .I lost my wweight this way xx

I dont mess with scales at all really. I think i will eventually, but right now I am content with the positive changes in my levels of exercise, strength gains and general shape of body.

I weigh daily. I like to see how different foods and the time of the month affects my weight so I'm not scared to death if I weigh in on a 'heavy' day?! I use a graph that has a 'trend' line (i.e. show the average weight as well as the 'actual' weight) so as long as that stays stable or goes down, I'm happy enough to fluctuate from day to day. I always weigh at the same time on the same scales though, and wouldn't recommend it if a 'heavy' day will demotivate you?

Sounds like you've got it right there & I agree as long as you don't get demotivated by it going up as well as down, you do get to see your trends. I've just loaded an application onto my iPhone called True Weight, you enter your weight daily and it's gives a true weight by averaging it out, which is quite interesting. :)

vlcd = very low calorie diet like cambridge diet or w8 .they are total meal replacment diets .I lost my wweight this way xx

Couldn't have put it better myself ;):p

x

Hi everyone
I was just wondering how often everyone else weights themselves.

Oooh roughly every hour or so. Before a pee, after a pee, after a cuppa, after a chocolate, if I have wind, after I've come back from the gym. You know, nothing too obsessive lol :D:D

Seriously I do drive myself up the wall weighing myself, but I only record it at the same time each week - Monday morning, post pee, before I've eaten/drank anything. The gazzillion other times are just for my own monitoring, ie if I go up after a big meal I'll cut back. I know it's silly, but it becomes a compulsion.

Was away last weekend and it was wonderful not to know what I weighed until I got back! I ate quite a bit ie dinners out, entertaining etc, so was over the moon to be the same when I got back. Hurrah!

I hope you don't get a dippy as I do!

Good luck hun

so far this time on SS, I have been very disciplined, weighing once a week (Fridays) first thing in the morning, naked, after wee! I actually wish I had the patience to weigh monthly as was my original plan, I know for most SS'ers, sometimes a small loss (1-2Ibs) can be followed by a big loss but can be really gutting. Weighing monthly will always show a big loss, hopefully a stone!!

But nooo.... I can't wait a whole month!

Humm... not sure how to do the quote thing but in answer to 'I hope you don't get a dippy as I do!' I think I already am!!

Was really upset this morning to find that I had gone up ½lb :cry: esp as have been sooo good :confused: and am now in serious danger of 'blowing it' today and that will bring on 'well now I've blown today thats blown the whole week' Its all down hill from there. :break_diet:

I keep going into the kitchen just 'looking' and coming out again... but I can feel the inevitable is going to happen :sigh:

Piglet

I know that most people advise against this, but when I was quite young I heard someone tell my mother that her secret to staying slim was weighing herself every morning and if she weighed anything above what she wanted, she dealt with it that day. It has stuck in my mind ever since - that's about 30 years!!

Yes that's actually true. Well...not necessarily for people who haven't had to ever diet, but certainly for maintainers.

The National Weight Control Registry who has a huge ongoing study of maintainers (those who have lost a fair amount of weight and kept it off) and found that most of them weighed daily :)

Okay- you need to step away from the scale! Thats why I warned if weighing regularly and having a 'heavy' day would knock you off track- Don't weigh so often!! If worse came to the worse- give the scales to a friend who will weigh you once a week or so, so you physically CAN'T weigh everyday (hour, 1/2hr, etc.!) My weight religiously is 4lbs heavier at night than first thing in the morning. After a chinese meal I will weigh 3lbs heavier the next morning. When my AF is due my weight fluctuates all over the place by 3-4lbs every day for 5-6 days! You need to eat 3500cals to put on 1lb weight- did you eat 1750 more cals than usual yesterday- thats a lot of food! If not, then calm down, or you will blow it!

Hi Irishmum
No I didnt, thats just it I have been really good and was expecting to have gone down not up. I'll be so upset with myself afterwards if I do blow it. Perhaps you're right I think I will give my scales away, thinking back this always happens to me when I go on a diet and I start doing the weighing thing again.

Thanks Irishmum, Px

It could have been caused by any number of things, thats all I wanted to point out. Your weight WILL fluctuate daily, all kinds of things will affect it. But if you know and accept that then you'll be fine. If you stress over daily ups & downs you'll get demotivated and end up where you began? Giving the scales away might be a bit drastic now that I think about it, but you know what I was saying? Try & chill a little- it'd be worse if you 'gained' 5lbs overnight unexplainedly like I do occasionally! Take it one day at a time and you'll be fine. XxX

I weigh my self daily, first thing after going to the toilet and before I have breakfast.

I have a mechanical set of scales so I find it really motivating seeing the difference to where the marker used to point to and where it is now. That ever increasing gap gives me a real buzz in the morning. However, no movement or even a small gain dosen't have too much of an effect on me. I just look back to where I started and say to myself 'at least I'm not back up there, keep going'.

Humm... not sure how to do the quote thing but in answer to 'I hope you don't get a dippy as I do!' I think I already am!!

Was really upset this morning to find that I had gone up ½lb :cry: esp as have been sooo good :confused: and am now in serious danger of 'blowing it' today and that will bring on 'well now I've blown today thats blown the whole week' Its all down hill from there. :break_diet:

I keep going into the kitchen just 'looking' and coming out again... but I can feel the inevitable is going to happen :sigh:

Piglet

Thats precisely why weighing yourself every day is a bad idea. Especially if youre on a diet like WW or Sw where the losses are slower.

If youre going to classes get rid of the ones in the house! Youre only going to get an accurate indication once a week.

Weighing yourself every day is ok if you can ignore the ups and downs and focus on your weekly wi. As you cant you really do have to stop the habit or youre going to completely self sabotage your hard work

Back