Puddings Scan bran recipe challenge

ladybelle

Our consultant gave us a challenge this week. She gave us a pack of scan bran and a recipe. I've got a carrot cake recipe. But being a bit of a queen of tarts I always look for a bit of variation. So am having a think but also hoping you lovely people could share your scan bran pudding wisdom with me! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Have you tried the "ferrero rocher" chocolates? They are divine!! I just made them for a taster session tomorrow morning and I used ryvitas but lots of people use scan bran.

I had seen that recipe... I may take those to group next week..... They sound lush! Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ingredients:-
5 Scan Bran (5.0 )
2 sachets of any sugar free jelly (3 syns)
Punnet of Raspberries (optional)

Tub of Quark
Fat Free Fromage Frais
1 Dessert spoon of Vanilla essence
2 Dessert spoons of Candarel
1 tbsp Tesco cocoa (2.5 syns)
Method:-
Crumble scan bran and place in bottom of trifle dish
Cover with 1 sachet of jelly (made up with 1/4 pint of boiling water then top up to half pint with cold water) and allow to set in fridge.
When set, cover with raspberries or fruit of your choice (leave some fruit spare to decorate the top) , make up 2nd sachet of jelly (also to half pint) and mix in a few spoonfuls of Fromage Frais. Pour over fruit and allow to set again.
When set, mix together quark, yoghurt, vanilla essence and sweetener cocoa and then spread over the set jelly . Add fruit if required.
Could serve up to 6,depending on req portion size .
4 servings = 2.625 syns, so best round off to 3
6 servings = 1.75 syns, so best to round off to 2
The whole trifle is 10.5 syns.

but id suggest making choc scan bran cake and using the pieces, say 5 of them for a syn each. just that using the direct scan, i thought quite dry and flaky like.

and the scan bran choc cake for base,makes 12 pieces but id prob put like 5 pieces in bottom of trifle.
information
Syns per whole cake 12 if B choice scan bran then 7 for WHOLE thing
ingredients
5 Scan Bran 5 syns
3 beaten eggs
2 level tbsp golden syrup Tesco value 2 syn
1oz cocoa powder Tesco cocoa is 5syns for 30g
½ mug sweetener
method
Soak the Scan Bran in boiling water to soften. Then drain and mash. .separate the egg from the whites,
Mix all the ingredients together and pour into a microwavable bowl.
Whisk up the egg whites then when done,fold into the other mixture
Microwave on high for 7 minutes. When cooked the cake will be springy to the touch and will have pulled away from the side.
Tip: Chef's tip: For a free topping, pile with (defrosted) frozen forest fruits or top with chocolate spread (4½ Syns per tbsp).

It's just 12 Syns for the whole cake and can be divided into as many portions as you like and syns will need to be adjusted.

Hi anyone have any ideas for a topping for my scan bran cake

2 eggs
5 scan bran
2 tbsp coffee
2 tbsp nutella

I dont have any quark I do have yoghurt eggs and options plus other stuff let's see if anyone can get creative...

I've a recipe book that has a beetroot cake. Says it comes out the same consistency as carrot cake, and in cook yourself slimmer they made a chocolate cake with beetroot in to make it fudgy.

Can't help with how to incorporate it but might be worth trying for something different?

The beetroot cake? It's from a womans weekly cake book, so not slimming! That said for each portion (1/22 of the cake) it has 10.5g of fat and 853 KJ which I think is around 213 calories so not really bad. I've never made it but have recently been converted to beetroot so might give it a go!

250g or 3 small fresh beetroot
250g butter
3tsp lemon rind
220g caster sugar
4 eggs
150g currants
150g plain flour
150g self raising flour

1) Heat oven to 180C. Grease and line base and sides of a deep 20cm round tin
2) Peel beetroot, then coarsely grate
3) Beat butter rind and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time until just combined. (It may curdle here but will come together later)
4) Stir in beetroot, currants and flours. Mix thouroughly and spread into tin
5) Bake for around 1.5 hours
6) Stand cake 10 min then turn out to cool.

The recipe says carrot or courgette could be substituted for the beetroot.

And the chocolate cake:
Beetroot chocolate fudge cake - Channel4 - 4Food

Back