Secret Slimming in Paris

Red Day

Breakfast: Banana, apple
Lunch: 15g cheese, ham & chicken toastie (HEB1 1/2HEA1)
Snack: 3xwasa crackers with 3 light dairylea (1/2HEA1), lettuce and ham
Dinner: pulled pork with cabbage, Taillefine coconut yoghurt
Snack: hot chocolate with whipped cream (4.5 syns!) Taillefine yoghurt

Last edited:
Went to the supermarket this afternoon. Food shopping has kind of become an obsession! I seem to be going so much more often and spending so much more money than before! I'm trying not to worry though. My thinking is I might as well spend that bit extra and treat myself to healthy stuff that I actually enjoy eating - especially at the beginning! I know you can get cheap stuff (like apples) but if I had the choice between a bar of chocolate and an apple i'd definitely choose the choccy! However, I actually look forward to eating mango and blueberry etc. So, not the cheapest option but I'm worth it!

I suppose I'm going more often because i'm stocking up on more fresh ingredients and every meal we eat is home made! Before we'd both eat out at lunchtime and then still get a takeaway of an evening! I'm sure that, overall, that must have been more expensive - surely??

Anyway, the pulled pork was loooovely. I've put some of the BBq sauce aside for my next green day or the next time I have a burger. It's def a keeper!

I'm so bored of being off work now. I'm feeling so much better and so so bored! One of my friends is coming over from London tomorrow though, so I'm meeting him at 9am at Gare du Nord then we're going for a coffee.

Fabien has found out he has to referee an important basketball match on Saturday afternoon so we'll have to postpone our trip which sucks. But nevermind!

X

How sad is Dallas Buyers Club? Jared Leto's character was heartbreaking :(

I started spending much much more money on food when I started SW. I want to fill the fridge and freezer and cupboards with tonnes of healthy food. Plus, healthy eating IS expensive, I don;t care what anyone says ;) I find it very expensive!

Bored already?! I dunno ;) I'm sure you'll survive....

Such a shame about your day otu on Saturday though. Will you do something while he's working instead?x

It was soooo sad! To be honest I didn't even recognise Jared Leto until you mentionned it! It was soooo sad! But really inspiring too. His character's story sort of reminded me of a film called House of Boys that I saw at a film festival a few years back in Paris. Very sad.

I'm glad I'm not the only one spending all this money! Luckily my husband is really supportive of it as it does make a big dent in our budget!

I'm sure I'll do something tomorrow. Most of my friends will be off so we'll do something, I'm sure!

I went to pick up my friend from the train station this morning and I got there just as the train was pulling in - result!! I hate getting the timing wrong, it means one of you is stood around looking like a loser for ages!

We then went to Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast. I had a small soya-milk cappucinno and a boiled egg with a slice of wholemeal bread - no syns just healthy extras!

We then walked around the Marais for an hour or so, looking through all the kooky shop windows then went along the river to Palais Royal to have a quick coffee (black, unsweetened) at a friend's restaurant. All in all a lovely morning - despite the drizzle!

Just got home now, going to have turkey for lunch then make a start on tonights meal! My hubby is soooo lucky I'm off this week! I'm never such a housewife! I'm actually enjoying it!

x

I agree that SW appears to be more expensive - I certainly spend more at the supermarket - but I think we spend less on takeaways and 'little extras', so it probably balances out in the end. In fact, as I've got used to it, learned what I do and don't like of SW recipes and generally got better at planning, it's possibly a bit cheaper in real terms. Unfortunately, the price of food as gone up a lot during the last year or two. Certainly, at the beginning I was buying loads of fromage frais, quark, cooked meats etc but I've since learned to adapt recipes we always liked and decided I don't like things that use quark etc as a substitue - I'd rather Syn and use a HExA for a decent cheese sauce, for example, than have a quark-based pale imitation of one. I also use some frozen veg and buy seasonal fresh produce - frozen berries (which I eat a lot of) are half the price of fresh, although I draw the line at frozen strawberries!

It sounds as though you've had a lovely morning with your friend - and managed to keep on plan too. Yay for you! Sorry you're not getting your trip but as you've gained some time (and are bored), could you use it to make some things in advance to freeze. Things like soup which you can to work when you go back, for example?

Thanks for the encouragement, Patty!

Quark doesn't seem to exist in France. It's frustrating as a lot of SW recipes call for it but, as you say, I can always substitute and syn. I also find French supermarkets so expensive! There are never any offers on and never any reduced priced food, even when it's going out of date! They must end up throwing so much out!

I have ended up, after my good start, having a very snack-y day!

Breakfast: boiled egg with slice of wmb (HEB1) and soya cappuccino (HEA1)
Lunch: turkey leg with lots of green beans
Snacks (over the afternoon): 1xwasa cracker (2syns) with light dairylea triangle (1.5 syns) lettuce and ham, special k bar (4syns) 1tsp cacao powder (0.5), free yogurt, free fromage frais with 'lemon curd'
Valentines Dinner: French style free onion soup with 1 slice wmb (3 syns) and 30g cheddar cheese (HEA2), chicken drumsticks done in actifry with 1tbsp olive oil (HEB2) with oven roasted veg. Taillefine free vanilla yogurt. 70ml champagne (3 syns)
(14 syns in total! Really pleased, thought I'd gone really over! Can now go to sleep with a light conscience!)

Patty, you inspired me to do some cooking! We have plenty of bolognaise, lasagne, chilli, soup in the freezer so I decided I'd try SW baking - it was a DISASTER!

I followed two recipes: free lemon curd, 1/2 syn brownies

The lemon curd tastes quite nice but is really really runny. I mixed it in with some fromage frais to make a lemony yoghurt. The brownie was horrrible. I found the recipe on a website and thought I'd give it a go because it doesn't call for any flour. It was really not nice! It was just like a sweet omlette, I ate it but I def won't be making it again! My expectations probably weren't very realistic, hence the dissappointment.

I'm going to have a nap before my OH gets back.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening x

Last edited:
Thanks for the supermarket info - I'd better bring more money than I planned to when we come in the summer!

I'm sorry your baking went funny. I tend to stick with genuine cakes etc but in smaller amounts. I'll buy individual portions which OH and I will often share for example - and I'll give him more than half. It means I still get a taste but don't have enough to spoil my diet (and it saves money too)! Have a look for cake bars which are individually wrapped as I find the unwrapping seems to act as a sort of deterrent. I don't recommend buying from a patisserie!

A lot of SW baking seems to end up like sweet or chocolatey egg!! I haven't bothered trying lol. I'm like Patty, would rather have the real thing and seal with the syns in some way. I have got most of the ingredients to make Barbette's Weetabix muffins with boozy mincemeat in!

Some days are just snacky, picky days aren't they? Do you enjoy it?x

It's my pleasure, Patty! Yes, if you're comparing what you'd spend in a supermarket in Britain you'll definitely need more. I guess it also depends what part of France you are in and what supermarkets are close to you (stay far far away from Monoprix!) but I'd definitely suggest baring it in mind when planning your budget!

I wish I wasn't so greedy! In the past, admittedly before I came to France, I'd go to the Co-Op, buy a chocolate cake and a carton of whipping cream and down the lot! The worst thing is it was unintentional! I'm scared that if I have one of something I just won't be able to stop. I did buy some Special K bars to test me (at the end of the day there are only 79cal per bar so if I did eat 6 of them the world wouldn't stop turning!) and so far I have managed not to gobble them all

I'm really proud of my SW friendly valentines meal (I updated before I went to sleep as it helps me really think about the syns and know if I should feel really guilty or not!) Yesterday was a high-syn day but the meal wasn't, it's mainly due to my afternoon munchies ! Fabien really enjoyed the meal too, which is the main thing!

I spent today with friends as our Rouen trip has been postponed (indefinitely). We wanted to try a new English-style tea room in the Marais but it was packed. We ended up going to a café. One of my friends ordered a cheeseburger and another ordered a cheese plate and I ordered a diet coke (I'd had a big breakfast) We went on a 7km stroll and ended up at an American-style diner (big day for the anglo food today!) and I cracked! One friend got an amazing milkshake, with loads of peanut butter and cream and the other got a NewYork cheesecake and I was staaaaaarving! So I ordered a chicken cesar salad. Although it was probably quite synful I'm proud of myself!

Just got in and am going to relax until my OH gets in from basketball :) x

Red Day (again!)

Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs, 2 yoghurts and a banana
Lunch: Chicken cesar salad 6.5 syns (lettuce=free, chicken=free, oil chicken fried in=HEB1, dressing=3.5syns, cheese (at least 50g)=2xHEA, slice of wmb=3 syns) & an apple
Snack: Small bowl of roast veg and 1 chicken drumstick

I think you did really well with all the eating out options you were bombarded with. A Caesar Salad is fantastic considering what you could have ended up with. You should be really proud of that :)
Sounds like a really lovely day with your friends too.
And glad Fabien liked the Valentines Day meal!xx

Thanks!!

Had another nice day. Got up quite late and had a big breakfast with Fabien. He then went to the gym and I cleaned the house from top to bottom.

Went to meet some friends at around 4ish (I skipped lunch at McDonald's with them!) and went for a wander. Ended up going to three different cafés on our walk, had one Monaco and 2 black coffees.

Came home to find that Fabien's wardrobe had exploded! We are currently in the middle of trying to fix it...it's going to be a looooong night!

I'll put my food in another post!

x

Today I decided to have a green day, despite it being the day before WI!

Breakfast: egg, cabbage (bubble&squeak) actifried new potatoes and baked bens - it was loooovely!
Lunch: Spinach lasagne with 30g cheddar cheese (HEA1) and salad
Dinner: Rice, mushrooms, courgette, garlic and 30g cheddar cheese (HEB1)
Syns: Monaco (around 5 syns)
Snacks: Special K bar HEB2

Oh no about the wardrobe!! Hope it's not too much of a nightmare!

Sounds like a good day friend and food wise too :) One of my best friends is a MacDonald's monster! And towards the end of last year I was eating there a lot with her - out of convenience! But have decided if she wants to go while we're going to the cinema/between films I'll walk the extra 5mins and go get a Subway Salad! Yup.... This hasn't come up yet though and kinda disappointed I've had this plan and not been able to put it in to action Lol!

Good luck for this week :D xx

Hmmm, when I first moved to Paris for Uni (and hardly spoke French) I got a job in a Subway. I ended up staying there throughout Uni so I ate Subway practically daily for 3 years! I must admit it's put me off a bit now! But, it is much healthier than McDonalds!

So just had my WI aaaaand.......I've lost 2kg!!!!!

I'm so so happy!! I was really sceptic as I've had quite a synful week but apparently I had nothing to worry about!

Just need to lose another kg (eeeek!) this week for my 1 1/2 award!

I go off to work a very happy lady!

Hope everyone has a good day

x

Hey Sophie, I finally caught up with your diary!! What a fantastic read it is! You are doing so so well!

Do you speak fluent French now? Languages fascinate me, I gave dabbled with learning various languages but would love to be fluent in something other than English!

By the way, Wolf of Wall St is an 18 here and rightly so!! My eyes nearly popped out when you said it was a 12!!!!!!

I also get the fear factor of telling people about losing weight. So many times in the past I have done this, especially in front of work colleagues and they are very supportive but they would ask me how much weight I had lost on weigh in day and be sad for me if I hadn't lost any, I didn't want their pity - oh and if you are caught eating something naughty they, or rather one woman in particular would go pass me tut tutting!! Not helpful. So now I just say nothing and say i am not consciously losing weight, I am just being healthy!!

Hahaha! Can understand that. My friend worked at Subway as well and she hated it. I'd only be getting salad with low cal dressing, no meat coz I'm veggie :) And no bread!

Wow! 2kg is amazing :D Super well done!! That's almost 5lbs :eek:
So close to your next goal. Fantastic! xx

Hi Charley!

To be honest I'm at such a funny language stage I sometimes feel like I can't speak French or English! My hubby doesn't speak English so we speak 100% in French at home. I work in a bilingual environment but I'm the only native speaker in my direct team so we speak French most of the time between colleagues, but then my best friends are all Brits so we speak in English... It's a real mish-mash in my head! Also, working in a bilingual environment and having bilingual friends doesn't help because we just get lazy and use whatever work in whichever language comes first...something that really doesn't work when I go back home!

Cheeky, I'm a actually a bit freaked out by my loss! I'm really expecting to STS this week as thats two weeks in a row that I've lost 2kg!

I'm thinking about buying some electronic scales. The measurements on the scales I have at the moment are kilos, so if I lose less than a kilo it'll be hard to notice a difference. I think electronic scales would be more precise and stop me from being depressed when I get smaller losses! It is nice seeing the dial going down though. When I started, 6 weeks ago, the dial went the whole way round and a bit further (they only go up to 120kg and I was 125!) That in itself is quite motivating!

I can't wait till I'm under 110...my taaaaaaall muscly husband only weighs 110 and it's so embarrassing that I weigh more that him! But hey! I'll get there!

Green Day today:

Breakfast: Free yoghurt, wasa cracker (1.5 syns) with garlic cheese (1syn) & a black coffee
Lunch: rice with pepper, red onion, courgette, mushroom and brussel sprouts. 3xdairylea light (HEA) & free yoghurt
Snack: mango, kiwi & raspberry salad
Dinner: Actifried new potatoes in 1tbsp olive oil (HEB) & dry fried egg with lettuce, red onion, pepper and cherry toms followed by a free yoghurt

x

It must be pretty bizarre having conversations switching between languages. Bet it keeps you on your toes tho?!

That's amazing about your loss and definitely a victory that they can weigh you properly now! I don't have scales at home because I know I'd be on them all the time lol. But yeah, electronic ones would prob be better for weighing in kg's. The scales I use in work are digital kg ones so I can see exactly the the 0.1 what weight I am :)

I bet it wont be long before you're below 110kg :D How tall is Fabien btw?

Well done for today :) xx

Hi Charley!

To be honest I'm at such a funny language stage I sometimes feel like I can't speak French or English! My hubby doesn't speak English so we speak 100% in French at home. I work in a bilingual environment but I'm the only native speaker in my direct team so we speak French most of the time between colleagues, but then my best friends are all Brits so we speak in English... It's a real mish-mash in my head! Also, working in a bilingual environment and having bilingual friends doesn't help because we just get lazy and use whatever work in whichever language comes first...something that really doesn't work when I go back home!

Cheeky, I'm a actually a bit freaked out by my loss! I'm really expecting to STS this week as thats two weeks in a row that I've lost 2kg!

I'm thinking about buying some electronic scales. The measurements on the scales I have at the moment are kilos, so if I lose less than a kilo it'll be hard to notice a difference. I think electronic scales would be more precise and stop me from being depressed when I get smaller losses! It is nice seeing the dial going down though. When I started, 6 weeks ago, the dial went the whole way round and a bit further (they only go up to 120kg and I was 125!) That in itself is quite motivating!

I can't wait till I'm under 110...my taaaaaaall muscly husband only weighs 110 and it's so embarrassing that I weigh more that him! But hey! I'll get there!

Green Day today:

Breakfast: Free yoghurt, wasa cracker (1.5 syns) with garlic cheese (1syn) & a black coffee
Lunch: rice with pepper, red onion, courgette, mushroom and brussel sprouts. 3xdairylea light (HEA) & free yoghurt
Snack: mango, kiwi & raspberry salad
Dinner: Actifried new potatoes in 1tbsp olive oil (HEB) & dry fried egg with lettuce, red onion, pepper and cherry toms followed by a free yoghurt

x

Wow, thats so impressive. I am in awe of your language skills - its a bit Franglish!

I too think you should invest in come scales for home. And so what if you weigh everyday? As long as you don't take too much from the figures and can "handle" it. I have never worried about weighing in between weigh-ins, to me, it can only help. I used to weigh everyday, but now I have a slightly different outlook on what I want and how I will achieve it that I don't anymore. My official day is Friday, then I might weigh on Monday to look at "weekend damage"! If I am up on Friday then I will work really hard to make a difference to the official upcoming weigh in. Sometimes I do a Wednesday weigh, just to see what's going on, but more often than not I forget to.

I think that you are right, your losses may start to slow down a little soon, so the small victories may go unnoticed if you stick to kilos.

I am similar to you in that I weigh more than Mick. It really bugs me and I hate it because Mick is loads taller than me and big built himself! One day!

Back