Secret to shaping up

Hi Susie - sorry to hear your news. Sounds so painful. Impressed you're still managing to do some exercise and shift a pound or two. That's dedication! :)

Hope your Doc can help. Take it easy. xx

Does open handed make a difference?

I do more of my kettlebell open handed - so for snatch I open my hand as it passes my shoulder for example. I dont have too many hand issues but can adapt exercises to reduce hand grip issues

John brookfield's grip exercises are terrific and Ive found them on the web for free.

Hi everyone I'm still unable to exercise due to some damage I've done to my hand. I have arthritis which I keep under control with fortnightly injections but 2 weeks ago I lifted my husbands dumbbells and a few days later had tremendous pain at the base of my thumb and finger joint next to it.
I was in tears tonight trying to peel some potatoes for dinner. :(
I'm thinking I might need to see the doctor for a cortisone injection but I hate them as they muck my periods up.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

RIGHT! So after months of jetting back and forth to this thread reading about the results, I have just ordered myself a 5kg kettlebell!!

I can't afford the kettleworx set at the moment (maybe next month)...so have people just chosen random workouts to do 3x a week or is there anything in particular I should search for online?

It will arrive on Friday - I can't wait! I have faith in this already!

Any advice appreciated :)

MartinD said:
Does open handed make a difference?

I do more of my kettlebell open handed - so for snatch I open my hand as it passes my shoulder for example. I dont have too many hand issues but can adapt exercises to reduce hand grip issues

John brookfield's grip exercises are terrific and Ive found them on the web for free.

Hi Martin it's not just the pain it's also really weak, at the moment I can't even hold a pen properly or a knife and fork. But thanks for the tips they might come in handy as it gets better.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Ah Susie, sorry to hear you are struggling - arthritis is difficult and painful; I hope you see an improvement soon. It's very frustrating when something outside your control keeps you from doing something (like swinging) that you love.

Kron, hehe, yes, he did the whole workout with me (I discovered that I complain more if someone else is in the room with me - usually I exercise on my days off work before he gets home so it's not a problem). We then compare muscle soreness in the days after - the stock phrase is 'do you feel it in your buns?' as while I know it's juvenile I crack up every time Amy Bento says this. :D I do modify the planks and other difficult exercises, I have done some pilates in the past which gives me ideas about how to do so. :) Also agree with Sue, the 'pause' button is my new best friend!

The bells must be doing *something* as I weigh on Thursdays and lost 1.2 lb this week despite being away for the weekend and eating naughty stuff. Go kettlebells! :)

Morning All - well off work this week so did my workout early. That's round 2, wk3 Advanced Resistance done. Had the devil in me so thought what the heck and slapped on one of my new Kettlercise DVDs and did the 8 minute Abs workout straight after.

Dropped down to my 7.5kg and managed the first set and then about two exercises into the 2nd set thought no more as my muscles were screaming. So sat up and watched. What a load of cheats. They weren't even using their bells for some of the exercises. I hadn't noticed to start with as I was laying back and getting on with it. I just assumed the usual Kettleworx type stance and had the bell over my head and that kind of thing. Pfft! The bl00dy lightweights! :D

Have to say it was most disconcerting to be laying back and instead of having Ryan's happy go lucky american accent I was treated to a more homely Leeds accent! Just made me smile to myself - until I saw I was working harder than his bevvy of lovely ladies! :eek:

Cup of tea and a shower, methinks! :)

Week 1 cardio DONE!!!!

It was OK, actually. Found it tough in places, the second set of squat and hold was a killer, arms were shaking! And as for the second set of mountain climbers- forget it! Found it hard to keep up the pace at times as well, was defo going slower than they were, but I wanted to make sure my form was correct, and not just flinging the bell about risking injury.

All in all I really enjoyed it, looking forward to the next one on Sat. Love the fact that each workout is different, I wont get bored!

Must take my measurements later and keep them safe to compare with week 6.

Week 1 cardio DONE!!!!

It was OK, actually. Found it tough in places, the second set of squat and hold was a killer, arms were shaking! And as for the second set of mountain climbers- forget it! Found it hard to keep up the pace at times as well, was defo going slower than they were, but I wanted to make sure my form was correct, and not just flinging the bell about risking injury.

All in all I really enjoyed it, looking forward to the next one on Sat. Love the fact that each workout is different, I wont get bored!

Must take my measurements later and keep them safe to compare with week 6.

Well done. Its always best to get the worst one out of the way first, I think! :)

Yep get those measurements down and if you can bear it try and take a couple of photos as well. Its great to be able to see your progress over time.

Hello happy swingers :)

Rd 2 Resistance and week 1 finished tonight :checkmark: I do like resistance. The 10lb bell is most definitely challenging my upper arm strength, but that's a good thing. I'm also aching more that I was throughout round 1, but again - a good thing, as I think it shows I'm working it :D

It's my WI day tomorrow and I'm really hoping for a good one this time. I've been a good girl and the only straying offplan has been the odd bite or two of protein, on the days I've been 'swinging' - as I think my body needs it. I certainly get hunger pangs afterwards.

Anyway - we shall see. I think the 10lb bell will do me for a while now and probably throughout round 2 of KW and the beginners and intermediate stages of Kettlercise.

Tomorrow night BBC2 Horizon 'the truth about exercise' with Michael Mosely. This explores the high intenisty interval style training and the claims about its impact on exercise.

theres no doubt that a revolution has begun and the aerobic approach has been found wanting. Metabolic conditioning - Metcon - is probably the next big thing.

I watched the programme, very interesting! The fidget pants experiment made me think how inactive I am during the day. 12 minutes intense exercise a week would definitely save me some time at the leisure centre. However I enjoy the social aspect of getting out and meeting people.

I did a short 10 minute freestyle tonight focusing on core exercises as my tummy is bulging again though I'm lighter than I've been in years. Was good.

Just got back from burlesque class and glad I went. We're doing quite a fast high energy routine at the mo so we did plenty of stretches to warm up which felt like they were doing my hamstrings and glutes the world of good aftert this morning.

I just really hope I can do the gym tomorrow OK. It's resistance so at least I can take it at my own pace. Then I'll do Kettleworx resistance on Sat or Sun.

No more excuses. Round 2 here I come - cant believe how lazy I've been the past few weeks. My holiday is about 6 weeks away so I deff want to get round 2 done!

Hello everyone!
I've been off exercise and the forum for 3 weeks and finally got back today and found this!
Wow, things have changed -a whole new forum on kettlebells alone....
Anyway feels good to be back. I actually missed not exercising and I'm pleased at this change in me.
Well done all and keep up the good work :)

Hi Trimlee and Joanne - I wondered where you guys had got to! :) Glad to see you're both thinking of "the bells"!

My ME has been acting up this week but I was fidgety this evening and so managed the first set of kettleworx wk1 resistance with my tiniest kettlebell. Probably shouldn't have! I feel ok at the mo, just hoping I don't regret it tomorrow. :eek:

Cat Lover Sue said:
Hi Trimlee and Joanne - I wondered where you guys had got to! :) Glad to see you're both thinking of "the bells"!

Hiya! :D life got in the way but constantly thinking about my bells :) how are you getting on? X

Cat Lover Sue said:

Hi there Sue, it is good to be back! How are you?

Plumfoodie said:
My ME has been acting up this week but I was fidgety this evening and so managed the first set of kettleworx wk1 resistance with my tiniest kettlebell. Probably shouldn't have! I feel ok at the mo, just hoping I don't regret it tomorrow. :eek:

Well done for starting :)
Don't be put off if you ache; I've been off exercise for 3 weeks, I jumped back in yesterday and this morning I ache galore!
Good old DOMS!! :D

Back