Secret to shaping up

Need some advice from the expert swingers amongst you. As you may know I have been thinking of moving up a bell from 4 kg. I am not a mega fit athletic type but can now do most of the kettlercise for women programs in full ( well except a whole minute on two arm extensions!) It seems a big jump from 4 to 8 kilo but I can't get anything in-between. Am I being too ambitious? How can I introduce the heavier weight without killing myself?

Hi Daisy - that is a big jump but have a go with two handed stuff with the 8kg and see how you get on. Its unlikely you would be able to do every single move with it which is way once you get into the bells you end up with a bit of a collection of varying weights. I remember moving from a 5kg to a 7.5kg but I then got hold of a 15lb bell (almost 7kg) which was great as it meant that I could use that for those one handed bits and pieces where 5 was too comfortable but 7.5 was too heavy. I think having that in between bell helped me immensely in improving so quickly.

I now have four bells ranging from a 5kg to a 10kg and use them all.

I got hold of a 6kg one for my partner from the Kettlercise website.

I wouldn't be able to use my 8kg yet. I use a 4 and a 6, and nowadays mainly use the 6. I get both out for my workout and as time has gone on I've found I can do more and more with my 6. Take it steady and use your own judgement as to how you feel using a larger bell. hope that helps?

Depending on where you are located (you indicated you're not in the UK) maybe see if an eBay seller or one of the kettlebell websites could ship you a 5 or 6 kg bell? 4 to 8 kg does seem like a really big jump although Sue's advice to try the bigger bell for two-handed moves and stick with the smaller one for one-handed ones is very good. :)

(any chance to convince your UK delivery person to stick a 5kg tesco bell in their luggage? :D )

Hey all....you're all putting me to shame

I've had to lay off the KBs since Sunday and it looks like it might be some time before I can get back to swinging again - due to rather severe and sharp stabbing pains in my right (dominant) elbow, which are getting progressively worse day by day. I didn't experience any problem for 12 weeks using Kettleworx, but just a week and a half into Kettlercise I've gone and done something stupid. Bad form or something. Having googled 'elbow problems/pains' the symptoms appear to resemble tendonitis (more commonly known as tennis elbow). So, I've given in and booked a doctors visit tomorrow afternoon and I hope he says with a little rest it'll be fine. Just when I find something I really enjoy and it's making a dramatic difference to my shape - not happy, not happy at all :(

Hey all....you're all putting me to shame

I've had to lay off the KBs since Sunday and it looks like it might be some time before I can get back to swinging again - due to rather severe and sharp stabbing pains in my right (dominant) elbow, which are getting progressively worse day by day. I didn't experience any problem for 12 weeks using Kettleworx, but just a week and a half into Kettlercise I've gone and done something stupid. Bad form or something. Having googled 'elbow problems/pains' the symptoms appear to resemble tendonitis (more commonly known as tennis elbow). So, I've given in and booked a doctors visit tomorrow afternoon and I hope he says with a little rest it'll be fine. Just when I find something I really enjoy and it's making a dramatic difference to my shape - not happy, not happy at all :(

Hi Suseka - oh crap. That doesn't sound great. Fingers crossed your doc's visit will go ok and its just a minor setback. Does resting it on a hot water bottle help at all? That Glucosamine (spelling?) gel is also supposed to be good for reliving any inflammation. Keep smiling, you've done so well and this is sure to get sorted. xx

Well that's Week 3 done with Resistance. I always find a Thursday evening session challenging as its straight after a hard day at work. Physically I tire a lot quicker but it doesn't half shift the stress of the day. I kind of mull things over whilst I'm swinging away and everything just disappears. Hoping to reverse some of my 3lb gain on the scales on Saturday morning. I have stuck rigidly to my WW plan. I'll have a mahoosive strop if I don't take some off! :D

Thanks Sue - I hope those scales move in the right direction :) I've gained and lost the same 3lbs since before Easter!

Well - am back from the doctors and basically its what I thought - no long term damage, just need to rest my arm, use pain relief and be patient. So, the plan is to lay off the bells for another week and then start back with the kettleworx programme. I think I've not quite mastered some of the new moves in the kettlercise programme - and I think it was doing the 'clean to rack' move that caused the problem. I'll have a look on youtube to see if I can find some better instruction about that one, and perhaps, when I have another go at the kettlercise I'll just stick to the 22 minute sessions and leave out the 50 minute one for a bit.

It'll also give me a week to get back into my VLCD plan as well - so I will remain positive.

Evening all

I've not been on for a few days as been very poorly have had continuous migrane for last 3 days so not been able to exercise! Am hoping to be back to it 2moro all being well - mind you my Daughter is moving back in 2moro so I will be doing plenty of lifting boxes up and downstairs :eek: x

Trash said:
Evening all

I've not been on for a few days as been very poorly have had continuous migrane for last 3 days so not been able to exercise! Am hoping to be back to it 2moro all being well - mind you my Daughter is moving back in 2moro so I will be doing plenty of lifting boxes up and downstairs :eek: x

Poor you with the migraine, make sure you drink loads!
I had a bad migraine before my Dort moved back too lol!! How old is your Daughter?

My niece texted me last night about KB wanting advice, so I said she could borrow my intro DVD and the two Fast abs and fast fat burn, I thought she could do the sample workout on the intro, then two sets each on the abs and fat burn. Might be a bit boring but better than nothing!

She's looking to firm up her arms before a wedding, and KB uses the arms all the time!

So anyway I thought I'll do the fast abs one, Cor loved that! My arms are killing me though.... Did someone move my abs????lol

Well, as of yesterday, thats Kettleworx completed!!!! I measured myself in week 2 and since then I have lost 7cm off my waist and 4cm off my hips! Well chuffed with that. I appear to have gained a cm on my arms and thighs but that's understandable.

So, off to edit my sig and start again on monday!

Suseka, hope you're resting that arm, it's so frustrating when you can't work out like you want to. trash, hope the move in goes well and doesn't cause too many more migraines!

Poor you with the migraine, make sure you drink loads!
I had a bad migraine before my Dort moved back too lol!! How old is your Daughter?

LOL Shirleen knwym!! She is 21 just finished Uni and is now a qualified midwife starts work officially in May! She is a right messy madam at home too so think headache could prevail for a while yet! How old is yours? x

KW week 5 is now complete after doing Resistance this morning. Ready to start wk 6 on Monday- oh my goodness I can't believe I'm nearing the end of round 1!! Am quite proud of myself :)

xx

KW week 5 is now complete after doing Resistance this morning. Ready to start wk 6 on Monday- oh my goodness I can't believe I'm nearing the end of round 1!! Am quite proud of myself :)

xx
Well done Croc - I've just started week 4 and am thinking after i've completed full 6 weeks i may go up from a 4kg to 6kg ?!

LOL Shirleen knwym!! She is 21 just finished Uni and is now a qualified midwife starts work officially in May! She is a right messy madam at home too so think headache could prevail for a while yet! How old is yours? x

Mines 20,we had to put down loads of rules, set chores for everyone etc etc!, Reminds me I have to do my chores and remind son, however we're all suffering with headaches at the mo!
Seems to be ok thus far....

Impressed at how everyone is storming through the weeks, thinking about bigger bells, etc. Puts me and my little 7.5 lb bell to shame! :D

Back