Self-sabotage!?!

Spanglymum

Gold Member
Gah! Can anyone help/advise/comfort? I'm relatively new to this woe and had been doing really well - even going away on business I stuck to it almost 100%. But since I've got back I've been fine during the day, cooking fab Atkins-legal meals and really enjoying them - but then in the evening it's a different story. I've had a stressful few day at work and have been using this as an excuse to open the wine or pour the gin... and then I get the munchies.

I AM SO CROSS WITH MYSELF but can't seem to stop. Help! I'm GAINING at a ridiculous rate and need to sort myself out fast. Can anyone sympathise?

I totally sympathise I spent from 0ctober- February doing exactly what you are. Now Ive gotten my head down and doing it properly I only drink once or twice a week (although you arent supposed to on induction) and if I do I make sure Ive got the right food - mims, fridge raiders, boiled eggs, cheese strings, chicken and best of all pork scratchings - all life savers.

Try approaching tomorrow as if it's the first day of this woe and do it 100% clean and green for a few days, it might help change your mindset of cheating xx.

Is there anything else you can do to destress instead of opening the wine? If you can avoid the wine you get to avoid the inappropriate munchies too. Take up a new hobby perhaps? Even if it's a silly hobby like trying to beat a high score on Angry Birds or something, i think you need to find a way to get over the stress and chill out. Go for a walk, play games, learn a language online, do crafts, knitting, long soak in the bath, anything. This is going to be key not only for the diet but for the future too so you don't slip back into overeating/drinking whenever things are too stressful. Also, try scheduling a time once a week which is your time for a glass of wine to chill out, and keep protein munchies available to go with that wine so as not to make things worse.

Even if it's a silly hobby like trying to beat a high score on Angry Birds or something

Silly?! Silly?! Angry Birds is SERIOUS BUSINESS. ;)

Spanglymum, mindfulness may help you. You can get mindfulness apps which will sound a bell at intervals set by you, I expect there's a website that does this too, or just set an alarm. The idea is to bring you back to the moment, to remind you to stop, breathe, and take stock of what you're doing right now and why. This may help to interrupt any thoughts of eating, or stop you before you take the next bite. It's just a gentle little nudge out of auto-pilot mode. Mindfulness meditation might be something to consider if you haven't already. Best of luck.

I sympathize too. I find I have 3 to 4 week limit for any woe. After that it's a free for all for a day or two. I think everyone has a line where they can sustain a diet any diet and then off the rails. I don't know what triggers it? Would make a very interesting study though.

Here's too all of us on plan tomorrow. x

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and understanding replies in my hour of need yesterday. Much appreciated! I recognised the danger time last night and instead of reaching for the wine etc I (rather radically) went to bed. I noticed when I was on LL that tiredness is a big trigger for me - so I expect the after-effects of jetlag haven't been helping me make wise choices!

So - got up this morning feeling much happier. Just one night has proved to me I'm not on a rollercoaster to blimpdom, but have choices and more importantly, am capable of actually being sensible occasionally :eek:. Who knew?!

Lol. Anyway - one success is great - but now I need to be consistent - so here goes for today!

Which Mindfulness app was it, btw? There are a few out there...

The one I have on my iPhone is just called "Mindfulness", and the image is blue with a little guy sat in meditation pose. It has a "personalized meditation" option where you set the interval of the bells. I expect it was either cheap or free, as I don't like paying a lot for apps! :D

Back