Serialslimmer's journey back to bohemian slenderness

Still sore and aching. My back feels worse - as though someone had kicked it hard while I slept. My shins are killing me. Not used to walking a distance greater than the few metres between my bedroom and bathroom. Going slowly up and down my stairs prompts many an 'ouch' at the best of times.

I'm quite proud of myself for deciding to go out and then actually following through. As others here with mobility problems will know, when you walk with difficultly and lean on a stick (or use a wheelchair or crutches) everyone STARES as you approach and continues to stare after you've passed by. When you lean on a stick and are overweight, they stare even harder. There's nowhere to hide! And son's gf, so slender, provided a marked contrast. When I began to puff at an early stage she insisted on carrying my shopping bag. Little Old Lady-time.

When I had sciatica recently - a very painful 18 months - I couldn't even stand up. My leg muscles are still weak from sitting and lying down all the time. So I plan to walk a bit indoors - do a few rounds of the kitchen every day! - to help strengthen legs and back.

I bought some fruit when I was out. Yes - fruit! I haven't had any since January. I bought bananas (naughty), Gala apples, Kiwi fruit, oranges and tomatoes. Bought fresh broccoli, too. If they slow my losses, too bad. I need raw, fresh food for a change. I ate kiwi fruit and bananas yesterday. Just polished-off two chopped tomatoes on low carb pasta with cheese. Only a small portion but delicious. Ate half so I can enjoy the rest this evening.

Run out of Exante bars again xx

Dear SS. I used to feel like everyone was staring, especially when I ended up in the wheelchair but after a few trips out and the help of friends I soon realised people weren't staring, in fact being in the wheelchair I was quite often invisible, walked into or bumped with trolleys. The more you get out then it feels like normal and the more your perception will change. some people look because they wonder what your story is, they recognise you is or you remind them of someone or its a phased glance because their heads are too crammed with their own lives to care. It's mostly confidence in yourself. You're doing a great job making steps to improve yours. Well done!

Have you thought of doing slimming world instead? You can do it online and maybe you could make it a regular thing to go to your new found tesco express for shopping. Your fitness will improve rapidly just walking. You can do it online too so no meetings and lots of food. You're doing great Hon. I can't wait to be in the 15's because I start to look a 'normal' size in photos once I drop below 16. Have a great day.

The weight losses on SW are notoriously slow. I'm not a 'club' type of person to begin with. My saviour when I lost a ton of weight and maintained the losses was low carbing. It's still my saviour although not always easy to stick to. Besides I couldn't face a room-full of people at this early stage. All slimming club members do is talk about food! Truly. I've been told that many times by SW and WW members. I think WW might be better as it is highly thought of but again I don't want to be weighed in public LOL. And I honestly couldn't afford the subscription and transport costs as I pay bedroom tax for TWO rooms and also council tax. My income has been decimated.

I know what you mean about seeming invisible in a wheelchair but trust me I really was stared at the other day. I walk with obvious difficulty and I was also puffing along, breathless. As I lose weight and gain strength my stamina and breathing should improve. I won't give up, that's for sure. Thank you so much for your encouraging words and your unfailing support xx

Last edited:
Keep going hon. You'll get there. Both SW and WW can be done online, no meetings but they are expensive. I just love exante. Saves me a fortune. Watch out for fruit on low carb. Fructose can make cravings worse. You'll know what works best for you and with your determination I'm sure you'll succeed. X

I know I shouldn't be eating fruit but I feel that after four months I deserve some. I'm really enjoying it, too. Tomorrow or the next day I'll be low-carbing again because it's the only thing that works for me. This is one aspect of VLCD-ing I dislike - no fresh fruit and limited fresh veg (mostly green). Same with low-carbing. Greens and salad and maybe melon and berries in tiny amounts!

Need Exante bars but the BOGOF on packs of 7 has ended xx

Hi SS

Just catching up on your diary - I'm glad you went into town, it must have been scary so well done. I know what you mean about weighing in public, but I used to do the weigh in's at a WW class for years and it really is just you and the weigher (and the leader of the class) that see the numbers, it's all sensitively done. But I agree it is expensive.

Anyway - good luck for this week!

L
x

Thank you Lesley! Tomorrow I'll be back in the saddle on my trusty steed Exante LOL. I'm loving the fresh fruit and tomatoes etc but enough is as good as a feast (so they say!) x

I had fruit yesterday, too, as it seemed an awful shame to waste it (LOL). Today I'll use up the broccoli as it's low carb. I have to say that fresh tomatoes are gorgeous and I've really missed eating them. Bananas, likewise.

So this week may be another STS or even a slight gain but that will disappear on Exante. I had apple crumble and custard for brunch. May have risotto for dinner and choc pudding or porridge for supper.

Simply can't afford more bars so will have to manage on the packs I already have. I might look-up some online recipes for home-made low carb protein bars xx

PS

Just remembered - I bought mixed peppers, also. Omelette coming up at some point.

Last edited:
No Green I just had the one cup LOL. It's amazingly chocolate-y. One tbsp of cocoa powder is only 12 calories (I use two tsp) and the cream is 20 calories (0.64 carbs) per tbsp. I use no-calorie sweeteners. Bit of boiling water on top and - Bob's Your Uncle! Ha Ha. Tastes much better than Options and has way fewer carbs.

Good day again today. Tomorrow I add scrambled/boiled/fried eggs mmmmm. And maybe some mashed cauliflower xx

I had fruit yesterday, too, as it seemed an awful shame to waste it (LOL). Today I'll use up the broccoli as it's low carb. I have to say that fresh tomatoes are gorgeous and I've really missed eating them. Bananas, likewise.

So this week may be another STS or even a slight gain but that will disappear on Exante. I had apple crumble and custard for brunch. May have risotto for dinner and choc pudding or porridge for supper.

Simply can't afford more bars so will have to manage on the packs I already have. I might look-up some online recipes for home-made low carb protein bars xx

PS

Just remembered - I bought mixed peppers, also. Omelette coming up at some point.

Well done on your excursion..!! Your son's gf seems lovely :)

Hope you get your stone off for doc visit xx

Thank you, and hello again! I won't manage the stone now. So I'll try for eight pounds between now and May 28th. Mini-goals are sometimes easier and more manageable x

Thank you, and hello again! I won't manage the stone now. So I'll try for eight pounds between now and May 28th. Mini-goals are sometimes easier and more manageable x

Agreed
.. I make hard to reach targets all the time I'm a disaster... I just like to reach for the stars hahaha

And why not? Might as well aim high. Even if we get halfway there you've done well. So long as our goals are fairly realistic it's good thing and helps provide motivation. The important thing is to not beat ourselves should we fall short at any time. Any loss is still progress x

And why not? Might as well aim high. Even if we get halfway there you've done well. So long as our goals are fairly realistic it's good thing and helps provide motivation. The important thing is to not beat ourselves should we fall short at any time. Any loss is still progress x

That's the thing I don't really set realistic goals lol... But I don't lose interest/faith if I don't make them either... So it's not detrimental in that way ha...

How you feeling today?

Feeling good, thanks. Haven't lost much weight in many weeks but haven't regained it all either. I've been experimenting I suppose with different foods and levels of calories/carbs. My cravings for real food were too strong to ignore. I'd be fine on TS for a few days then whammo I'd crave fruit, veggies, eggs, cheese... Mixing-up Exante and food is not easy but it's better than not dieting at all x

Feeling good, thanks. Haven't lost much weight in many weeks but haven't regained it all either. I've been experimenting I suppose with different foods and levels of calories/carbs. My cravings for real food were too strong to ignore. I'd be fine on TS for a few days then whammo I'd crave fruit, veggies, eggs, cheese... Mixing-up Exante and food is not easy but it's better than not dieting at all x

I'd say so!!! Making it harder on yerself with no ketosis I suppose... So do you think what you're doing no is what's going to work for you??

I just want a few days' worth of raw fruit and lightly cooked veg. I may have one Exante meal every day for the protein, etc. I will take on the chin any STS this may cause. After four months of mostly Exante I really need a break x

I just want a few days' worth of raw fruit and lightly cooked veg. I may have one Exante meal every day for the protein, etc. I will take on the chin any STS this may cause. After four months of mostly Exante I really need a break x

That's a great attitude to have :)

Whatever works for you SS. We are all different and have to find our own way to keep on track. Not regaining is a valuable skill to have. Enjoy your fresh produce. Yum.

You're doing great SS. Diets need to meet our needs not the other way round & you are being sensible with your food choices. Well done x

Have you looked at the Exante Sam Bailey plan? It includes fruit & veg but they say you should stay in ketosis...

Back