Serialslimmer's journey back to bohemian slenderness

Atkins shakes are expensive...check out protein shakes online or in a health food shop. They tend to be lower in fat than Atkins but if you want to rectify that there's loads of good stuff to add - peanut butter, cream, coconut oil, flax seed, avocado, full fat greek yoghurt etc. in the blender. I use my protein shakes.

Yeah been looking up protein shakes online. Sooo many faddy crap out there though. Oh I hate peanut butter, the mere thought almost makes me gag!!! Same with cream, I always get weird looks when I ask for a hot chocolate with no cream on top :). Thanks for the tip, lots to learn and many habits to break!!!

The lowest carb ones I've found are Atkins. However the ready to drink ones, that once tasted good, no longer follow the US recipe. US rtd shakes are creamy and thick and have added vitamins and minerals. The UK ones are thin and nasty and have no added nutrition at all. They sell for anything between £1.60 and £2.00 each or more and I wouldn't dream of using them now.

On Amazon you can get the Vanilla (yummy) and chocolate (pretty good) shake mix for around £13 each. Ten shakes per pack so £1.30 per shake. On eBay they're around £15.00 each per pack or (much) more. They're nutritious and have added fibre which makes them creamy and satisfying. AND they produce a shake that has 168 calories and only 3g carbs! That's why I'm eagerly using-up the two 'drums' leftover from my last low-carbing stint. I highly recommend them.

I've got lots of protein shake powder - some of it was very pricey indeed - but the flavour and consistency are disappointing to say the least. So I use those for making porridge, smoothies, etc xx

Oooooo I love Coconut oil!! Xx

Me, too! And ground linseed (flaxseed). They're both wonderfully nutritious and ketogenic. Ground linseed is mainly fibre so it is generally regarded as a 'carb wash' - goes through mostly undigested. It leaves behind wonderful Omega 3s! x

Atkins shake with ground linseed for brekkie. Boiled eggs with mayo for lunch. Dinner will be Exante risotto with one whole egg, ground linseed and half a vegetable stockpot plus half a head of broccoli.

Supper - Atkins shake or boiled eggs with mayo.

Thoughtful today. Reflective.

Every day on any diet we're slowly, gradually and definitely altering and refining our food intake for the better. What suits one person won't suit another. This is why it can be unhelpful and even counter-productive to compare one's food intake, losses and day-to-day experiences with those of another.

I learned a lot during my veggie Atkins journey. Not only did I lose a huge amount of weight and thereafter maintain at goal, I came to understand how sugars in particular affect my body and mood and just how drastically too much of the wrong food impacts on my weight, wellbeing and general outlook. It's not the volume of food we eat that is the problem; rather, it's the type of food. When successful dieters bang on (and many do! LOL) about the benefits of 'eating clean' they sound almost evangelical. The fact is that nourishing, preferably un-processed food is far better for us in every way than most dazzling, essentially empty creations of sophisticated food technology. Even so, low carb shakes, etc are a great help because they are convenient, quick to make and high in protein. Temporary meal solutions that help us to lose weight. They're not intended to be a long-term substitute for healthy, fresh produce, nor our sole source of nourishment for indefinite periods. It's a question of balance.

Make no mistake, food type affects mood. When I eat the average carby diet - with only moderate portions of pasta, etc - I quickly start to feel sluggish, weary and depressed. When I eat generous portions and throw-in some sweets, cakes and chocolate the negative effects are doubled or even trebled.

Eating sugar/carbs temporarily boosts blood sugar levels so we get a sort of 'high' that falsely translates as energy and optimism. 30 minutes to one hour later those levels have dropped again and we need more carbs to re-create that 'high'. And so on, and so on, all day long, seven days a week.

In rehab addicts of all types must give up their individual poison(s). They must immediately remove from their lives whatever substance or behaviour they'd come to admit was destroying them. It's often pointed-out that overweight people have to eat - food is not optional. It therefore follows that, if we are to arrest our addiction one day at a time, we must remove from our daily diet the type of food that is robbing us of health, fitness and peace of mind. In my case the danger substances are sugars and, to a lesser degree, starches. I fought against this simple truth at first. How could I survive without my binge foods?

Well, I not only survived the removal of those goodies, I thrived. I became slender and enthusiastic about life. I made lots of plans for the future and actually saw them through. I felt FREE of food obsession. I wasn't 100% perfect, particularly at the outset, but I mostly avoided carbs and got on with living my precious life.

I need to get back to that happy state of being. And by the grace of God, I shall! xx

Atkins shake with ground linseed. Large mug lemon and ginger tea.

Four slices of quorn bacon. 2 fried eggs. 1 tbsp tinned mushrooms. 1 tbsp mushy peas. 1 heaped tsp mayo.

Supper: Not sure but possibly Exante apple crumble and custard with heaped tsp ground linseed and medium tbsp coconut oil.

Bedtime: Probably low carb cocoa.

Vitamin and mineral supplements as usual. Tea, coffee, water etc as desired!

Last edited:
EEK! Just dug-out a hoard of 0 carb icing powder. Have to use it sparingly because the polyols wreak havoc with the digestive system but Oooh all the same. Coming up: a weekend treat of low-carb chocolate sponge with sugar free choc frosting. Will make a moderate-sized cake, portion it and freeze all but two or three slices. Drooling already xx

Great reflective post above, it's soo true and we are all aiming for the same - a life free from food obsession x
I really hope to be obsessed and enthusiastic about food in a healthy way, have a hunger for cooking whole foods and being the healthiest me and my family can be. It's a dream.
Congrats on the 2lbs, you're back into your groove :) onwards and downwards !

Great reflective post above, it's soo true and we are all aiming for the same - a life free from food obsession x
I really hope to be obsessed and enthusiastic about food in a healthy way, have a hunger for cooking whole foods and being the healthiest me and my family can be. It's a dream.
Congrats on the 2lbs, you're back into your groove :) onwards and downwards !

Green, when we lose a lot of weight, particularly in a short time, we often need to 'catch up' psychologically and emotionally. Eventually we do both and become used to the thinner 'us' to the point of feeling that thinner is normal. That's how I felt for years. Normal. No need to fear clothes shopping. I loved it! No need to dread catching sight of myself in a mirror or shop window. My reflection was slim, becomingly (boho/goth!) dressed and confident.

When I first regained a lot of weight I felt weird. Abnormal. I felt like a thin person who for some unaccountable reason had gone to bed one night a slender sylph and awakened next morning a fattie. Even now I bump into things I used to glide past because my spatial awareness is shot. I can't fully adjust to this large body mass. I don't want to.

You've already started to feel that slimmer is 'the real you'. Isn't it wonderful? It makes us even more determined to keep going. Freedom from food obsession means we can carry out all kinds of activities, familiar and unusual, at will. We're not held back by embarrassment or weight-associated hangups or limitations xx

I have a compltely different outlook. I have always felt like I was ok, not skinny, but ok and i have always loved myself. Even at my biggest, it was complete denial, when I got dressed in the mornings I visualised how I looked in my head, really really well (not actual size lol)....if I happened to catch sight of myself in a mirror when I was out I dismissed it as not real lol. I carried myself like I was still thin, and have and had the same confidence at all weights. My weight never stopped me doing anything that I did when I was lighter, because I never let myself believe I was that heavy. It does sound crazy ! But I'm doing the same now, carrying myself like I'm skinny lol
It was the people asking 'when are you due' that brought me back to reality with a thud. No longer in denial, my milestone pictures have made me face up to that. And I took a top out of the wardrobe the other day to put on (one of the ones that was altered for me) and I laughed when I saw that the reality is it is still quite big! I'm not skinny, but in my mind I am!
I was so sporty and fit previously that I've never let myself believe that the me that gained all the weight is the real me, I honestly believe that the person I am on the inside is now showing on the outside and I am not meant to be overweight.

Our perceptions of ourselves are so interesting. I'm a bit of a mix.

Sometimes even at my biggest, id think I didn't look bad at all, I hadn't weighed so I'd assumed I was still in the 11s, or at very worst maybe I had crept back in to the 12s. I would get all dressed up as normal, even if the clothes were a bit tight I'd be thinking I was just bloated today, id make an effort with my hair, id feel confident and above all I'd think I looked good. Then someone would take a pic or even worse a video of me and I'd see how I actually looked when I wasn't holding everything in for the sake of the Mirror and I'd freak out. One day I plucked up the courage to weigh and I couldn't believe it. Nearly 14stone, how can this happen? I'm not over weight!!! Clearly I was!

Other days I'd wake up in a massive mood even when not at my biggest and I'd cry because I wouldn't want to put clothes on my massive body and have to take my huge arse outside. Which is ridiculous. My mood is a real dictator to how I perceive myself I think. Xx

Can I just take a wee minute to congratulate you on how fabulously you've done? Such an inspiration reading your signature! I only hope I can do similar, well done! Xxx

Hello Manda! Howzitgaun? LOL. I am from Glasgow too - Mount Florida, 2 minutes' walk from Hampden Park. I've lived in England a long time.

I cannot wait to get back to the slim me. I think the majority of people with food and weight problems will lose, regain, lose, regain over time or are at least at a high risk of doing so. The body hates us to lose weight and does everything it can to get that weight back on! We all love food so it doesn't take much to prompt us to 'just have a wee bit'. But it seldom stops at 'wee'! x

Last edited:
Green how wonderful that you have always felt like 'the real you' - the woman inside the fat suit. That's how I felt before losing a total of 11 stones. Now you're literally revealing your true self, and you feel fantastic. I'm starting to do the same at long last. One thing being longterm slim taught me - I don't do well as a morbidly obese person! I absolutely hated it. Even now I am longing to get back to mere 'overweight' LOL.

I see poor souls in documentaries who are bigger than many minimins members put together and feel like crying for them. They can't walk, can't even get out of bed. They're helpless. One man I did cry over was the late Michael Hebranko. He died a couple of years ago of complications due to being super morbidly obese. He lost 65 stones with the help of that wee American guy Richard Simmons - the always-smiling one with the shock of curly hair who runs slimming cruises etc. He taught Mike to eat right and exercise - his mantra - called him at home, and visited him. Mike appeared on TV shows worldwide. He became a celebrity. Then alas the weight started to creep back - all of it, plus more. His wife Madelaine supported 100% through everything.

There but for the grace of God, go we xx

Last edited:
@Queen Bizzle:

Women in particular learn at a very early age that to not be conventionally pretty and 'perfect' means potential social exclusion and life-long mockery. Fat is the western world's disease; the more food a country has to offer, the thinner its wealthy population tends to be. Image is all and has been since the 1960s in particular. Women must ideally be thinner than thin. Size Zero says it all!

So we learn self-hatred and self-condemnation very young and carry mostly negative thoughts about ourselves into adult life. Those who are naturally slim or even skinny also face mockery and rejection if they're not considered attractive. It's a harsh world, and the emotional bruises just make us isolate and eat even more. It takes years to change our perception of ourselves for the better.

When we're big we see ourselves as smaller. A survival techique, perhaps? And when superthin we see ourselves as fat. This illustrates how distanced many have become from reality. Fear and guilt crush us and yet they drive our lives. Both control us 24/7. Guilt also sabotages most dieting efforts because when we cheat we immediately 'hear' that old familar 'I'm useless' message. And those old perceptions and judgements are often the kiss of death to weight loss. We have to teach ourselves to value who we are and give haters the two fingers! xx

Back