shepherds pie

azlan

Has anyone got any advice about making the shepherd's pie? Amount of water etc. I just had it for my lunch and it was more like a soup with bits!! I used the recommended amount of water - do peeps use less??

I use 170ml of boiling water and into microwave for 30 seconds

I use 250ml water, 30 secs, stir, 30 secs. I add mustard seed, ground garlic and black pepper, and dry herbs. Yum yum, my fave meal.

Ooo - mustard seeds! What a good idea!

I use the recommended amount of water - it makes it into slop - but I quite like it like that! I microwave for 30 secs, stir and then another 30. You could try it with less water to see if you prefer it that way.

It's still thick enough for me! Not soup consistancy but not mash. I love it! I always put different herbs in, sage makes it very stuffingy!

Oddly enough, I'm finding this diet is really improving my cooking skills! I don't think I could go back to a diet of ready meals and crap now I know what adding stuff like dry herbs and spices does to food. I've bought so many things! I think as the cottage pie is so bland it makes a good base to try adding things to. Also the same with the porridge, I use garam masala, mixed spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and try different mixes!

id say experiment with the amount of water and the cooking time

i add more water than it says to all the meals and cook for longer and i end up with half as much again and a consistency i like

ive gone off the cottage pie but when i had it i would add worcester sauce to spice it up a bit otherwise its a bit bland

Back