SHIRATAKI NOODLES- 0 CARBS

babybaby

Hi i was wondering if anyone had tried shirataki noodles and what your thoughts were on on these...apparently they are 0 carbs and 0 calories too?
:eek:

What are '' shirataki noodles"?: Shirataki noodles tend to be a bit “rubbery”. Although this can be somewhat reduced by a short period of boiling, one food developer found that adding tofu to the shirataki produced a “tamer” texture. It also adds a bit of protein and carbohydrate. (1 gram protein and 3 grams carbohydrate per serving).

interesting though!! wonder if they taste like super noodles:rolleyes:

I've heard about these too- was wondering if i would be allowed them with my AAMs to make them seem more like proper meals? xx

They're horrible. You can't get the tofu ones in the UK unfortunately - believe me I've tried. The regular ones are really rubbery and go cold in about 3 seconds flat. They don't taste of anything so they will take up the flavour of the sauce...except that the sauce just slides right off them so you get cold watery rubbery worms in a puddle of watery sauce. Yum! Not.

As for adding things to your AAM, surely that defeats the whole purpose? ;)

anybody else got any views...i was so hoping someone wud say it tasted nice... i was hoping to use it for maintenance as i'm going to be doing kinda low carb

I've got four packets left. If you are willing to pay for the postage and packing I will send you one and you can try it. In fact I will send you all four if you want them, because they are truly truly horrible.

These are konnyaku which is a regular part of the Japanese diet. There's another thread on here somewhere about them. They're an acquired taste (or no taste really) but they are a regular item in Japanese supermarkets and are really added to soups and stuff rather than eaten alone or as an alternative to pasta or something. Also the noodles are just one way they're sold - they're also sold in blocks and various other shapes.

That being said, maybe I'll give them a go as a pasta substitute?!? I'm actually off to Japan on Sunday so will probably eat some whilst there!

hey kate.. yeah i would love to have them... and i'll pay for postage and packaging. would cheque be ok? are they within their use by date. can i have your email add and i'll msg u my address..

Hi, I get these sometimes and use them in maintenance. I sue them for days when I need pasta which I don't eat as it kicks off cravings with me.

They are not like supernoodles or pasta as they are zero carb, cals and mainly fibre. They aren't soft, but have a firm almost crunchy texture to them. You must rinse them thoroughly after taking them out of the packet. I put them in stir fries or tagines which have a thicker sauce and add them at the beginning of cooking so that they take the flavour.

They are better than PH though for keeping you regular!!

hey soraya thanks for that... do u find it totally disgusting to eat or is it ok.. what kinda things do u cook it in? and also how r u doing in maintenance? x

hhmmm interesting. I wonder where I could get some from to try ...

i would love to try these to where an they be bought?

I fancied trying some until I read the description of how they taste...!

Ooops sorry 4 not replying earlier, I missed this. I get mine from the lowcarbmegastore.com who have all sorts of weird and yummy stuff.

I rinse them out thoroughly as they smell very odd to start with and then tend to just throw the noodles in with Tescos tagine and chickpea suace and boil them for 5-10 mins.

My CDC laughs at me about the keeping you regular stuff but they really do work.

The texture is not like noodles but they seem enough like a bowl of steaming noodles to satisfy my cravings.

Hiya babybaby, sorry, I was away on holiday for a week then I forgot all about the thread. Unfortunately it turns out my other half has chucked them as they were taking up space in the fridge and I had already told him I was going to chuck them out before I said you could have them. They keep for ages and ages, but because they are packed in water you have to keep them refrigerated.

In all fairness I think if I were on a VLCD I would probably think they were amazing, but because I don't have to watch my carb intake I don't see the point in persevering with them.

I got mine from Japanese Kitchen UK: Japanese Food Shop, Japanese Supermarket, Japanese Ingredients

Back