Shocked!

loobylou

Reached Target. woohoo
I was looking for an item in the food directory when i noticed something that really shocked me. Not all fresh or frozen minced beef/steak are free, luckily i had only ever bought Tescos lean mince so no damage to my weight loss. For instance Tescos healthy living steak mince is free but Tesco value minced beef is 10.5 syns per 100g for chilled thats 25 syns :eek: for just 250 g and 8.5 syns for frozen.
Asda smartprice beef mince frozen is 10 syns per 100g. morrisons lean steak mince is 2 syns per 100g. If you didn't know you could really bump up your syns. When you think youv'e been really good and sts or put on weight this could be the answer. Shocked me i can tell you. Just thought i'd pass it on. xxx Loobylou

There should be a warning sign with this thread. And possibly sticky?! Yes it really could bump the Syns up . I only ever use Quorn mince as I do green days but there are loads who do red who need to know this. Well done for pointing it out

Good idea Taz, how do i make it into a sticky? Hope your problems get sorted very soon, i know it's hard but if you can stay focused as much as possible you will feel better, i always think that when we haven't been 100% on the plan we feel miserable with ourselves. Keep looking at you're beautiful wedding photos you have done so well. Lots of Love xxx Loobylou

I had just assumed all mince was free as well! lord only know how many syns I have wasted!

Thank you for this!

x

It's only the extra lean meat that's free as the other stuff is full of fat - you can see the difference in the colour of the meat as the cheap stuff has a lot more white through it. I thought it said it somewhere in the book that only the extra lean stuff was free - maybe it was my consultant who said it.

I found even with the extra lean beef mince though (which is a lot more expensive than normal mince!) I did not have a very good weight loss. Three days in a row I made my own burgers as it was that BH weekend with really hot days so we had BBQs and only lost a pound. The next week I switched to turkey mince, which with plenty of garlic and onions (sometimes even with a little cumin) made really tasty burgers and I lost 4 pounds. I really think it was because I switched to white meat instead of eating red. Plus turkey mince is cheaper (sorry, can you tell I am watching the pennies?!??!) Worth a go!!

Yes definitely only Extra lean mince is free...as already said the other stuff may have more fat in it...as well as other unmentionable stuff!! eugh!!!

KezzieB...I have found that I don't always get a weight loss on the week that I have been good...sometimes it shows up a week later...as does a bad week too!!!
What I mean is, just because you didn't lose the week that you had your homemade burgers with mince, doesn't necessarily mean they didn't work for you, they may well have contributed to your fantastic 4lb loss the following week!!

Sam
xxx

Thanks Sam, yes I have heard other people say that too! However, I think for me personally this is not the case, if I have a bad week, god don't I know it at the weigh in and vice versa!! I think also what I meant as well, which I didn't mention, is that I think white meat is better for you than red? Kerry xx

People's bodies tollerate different meats differently. I rarely do Red days as I don't digest meat so fast and can end up putting on weight so if I do reds it's usually early in the week or I just have it on a Mix2Max

Its deffo misleading but as far as im aware only lean mince is free and it states that on your SW book. For those who dont have a book well they could well and truly think its free.

Well done looby

Ruthy xxx

Back