Shopping for low-fat stuff

anjuschka

Dukan Ancestor!!
Sorry, still obsessing about shopping for yoghurt etc., so I need to get this off my chest.

I'm having real trouble getting my dairy: as well as the WW and activia Vanillas that I have only ever seen in Sainsbury, around here it is like this:
0% Fromage Frais: Tesco
0% plain yoghurt - all
0% greek yoghurt - all
low fat quark: Sainsbury if I'm lucky, could not find it last week, local Budgens might have it.

I also like FF better that Quark. I have right from the start used the greek yoghurt instead, esp, for sauces and so on, becuase I could not find anything else. However I think for cooking and stuff the yoghurt splits more.

I do my usual shop at Sainsbury and I'm not prepared to do a 3 mile round trip for a pot of FF. I don't think the ASDA here helps with this at all, but has a good extra-low cottage cheese...

Oh and Oatbran - again Sainsbury only, and I've not yet looked for wheatbran, I can definitely get that in a health food shop in town, but not the oat...

Why does it have to be so hard :(

Anja

i got mine online - ebay... as my local stores were out of stock on quite a few bits...hope this helps xx

I think it's part of the fun of this diet that I like - I'm doing far more cooking from scratch, really enjoying the recipes etc, great if you like rhubarb too as I'm mad keen on the rhubarb brulee :)

Hey do you have a morrisons nearby? I'm getting my stuff from them. The eat smart range is good for fat free yoghurts and fromage frais. They also sell Quark made by a company called Kingdom made british milk which is nice only 65p a pot atm.

I had trouble with the oat bran but then I found it hidden in the cereal aisle with the porridge. There's a brand called Mornflake that do it. I'm also pretty sure I got some Quaker oat bran from Tesco or Asda (I can't remember which though) which was a massive bag.

I've decided that for the sake of my sanity (and possibly my insides) that a pot of fat free Activia at lunchtime isn't going to kill me. So it has a tiny bit of fruit in it... C'est la vie. It isn't stopping my weight loss. And the peach one is deeeelicious. :)

I'm also going down the stewed rhubarb, touch of cinnamon and fat free plain yoghurt route, which makes for a scrumptious dessert.

I think the quark tastes like philly?

Thanks everyone,

yes I have been checking the cheese and the yoghurt aisles but will try again. I think though that some of these things are only stocked 'at the managers discretion' or whatever hence the variation. It was Holland & Barret that didn't have the Oatbran last time...

ATM busy trying to get someone to look at our CH boiler that broke down last night. Cold showers - not recommended!!!

Meanwhile I have just passed the 3kg weight loss mark - jippeee! :D

Anja

Well done on the weight loss!!

Where oat and wheatbran are concerned, over here, both are only available in health food stores and so I buy them in bulk when I'm there! (Also they often run out, particularly of wheatbran, so this way of shopping ensures that I never run out!!).

I can't say I go crazy about dairy otherwise... a tub of fat free fromage frais (I buy it at the market on the cheese stall...)... one lot of yoghurts per week, and that's it!

Skimmed milk I buy long life in bulk (only use for poaching fish in!)

Cold showers - not recommended!!!
oh yes it is!!! Dukan recommends a cold 2 min shower - burns off a 100 cals you know!!! (or was is ten mins lol)

skimmed milk i buy in bulk too.

Back