Shopping for smaller clothes sizes

shelleylovesjelly

Hey everyone, I wanted to ask about how people have felt when they have been shopping for smaller clothes sizes, and to share a little something.

One the one hand, I really can't wait to lose more weight and fit into smaller clothes, it will be such an achievement and will really show how well I will have done.

On the other hand, I find the prospect of shopping for smaller clothes absolutely terrifying. As it stands, when I need something new to wear (note "need", rarely "want"), I go to Evans or the small selections in New Look or H&M, choose something that will fit me and that's that. When I think about the time when I can walk into any shop, go to any rack and choose any item I want, I am absolutely terrified. It feels overwhelming, the amount of choice, I don't know how people do it.

I'm sure that when it comes down to it, and I finally reach that point, my bank manager will say that I have absolutely no trouble shopping and didn't know what all the fuss was about!

I get you! I'm so used to knowing what to wear by what fits that the thought of choosing from the raft of things out there is bewildering! Will I dress too young/old? Are my legs good enough?
At the mo a full Burkha would be best!!!!

Losing weight does come with its own set of problems! When I had just the odd thing in my wardrobe that was comfortable, I had no trouble deciding what to wear. In fact, there was no decision as there was no choice!

Now I have lost weight, I have a lot of clothes that I have altered, as it would have been wasteful to throw them out, plus all the new stuff I just HAD to buy. The problem is that once you do get to a size and shape you're happy with, you no longer want to wear the "old" clothes, even if you do take them in. You want to experiment with new colours (not black) and patterns and shiny fabrics - everything you can't have when you are trying to disguise yourself lol!

I can now say I am officially over the "novelty" of trying things on in shops and buying them because I'm so delighted to find things that fit!!! But it took some doing :D

I'm just in the process of needing and buying a new wardrobe. I have sold a lot of clothes on eBay and some of my dresses I am going to have altered however even with those aside I still have 3 bin bags of clothes that dont fit.

I also have clothes that are a size 10 that I bought 2+ years ago to slim into and until now have tried and failed and I always gave in when the going got tough. Now I'm almost at target the clothes I bought to slim into don't suit me!!!!! That'll teach me!!!

I think it's going to be a slow process getting a new wardrobe however hopefully once I have, my brain will have caught up with my body and start believing that I am 9 and a half stone

I think that its something many of us will go through - I know I certainly did. I still don't know what really suits me, and because I have a low budget have gone from buying what fits to "whatever is cheapest and serves a purpose". Still find myself wearing a lot of black clothes when maybe I don't need to any more.

Still find myself wearing a lot of black clothes when maybe I don't need to any more.
Trinny & Susannah say you don't need black clothes. Try another colour instead - it can still be dark. I'm exprimenting with purple!

I'm finding it difficult to visualise myself too. When I read fashion tips, they are usually put in some sort of category - "big bust", "large hips", "petite" etc - I look at myself and think well, I'm curvy, but my bust's no longer what I'd call big, my hips are ample in relation to my waist, but I wouldn't call them large and I don't mind showing my booty. So should I just dress "petite" :confused:

I need a style makeover!

Trinny & Susannah say you don't need black clothes. Try another colour instead - it can still be dark. I'm exprimenting with purple!

I'm finding it difficult to visualise myself too. When I read fashion tips, they are usually put in some sort of category - "big bust", "large hips", "petite" etc - I look at myself and think well, I'm curvy, but my bust's no longer what I'd call big, my hips are ample in relation to my waist, but I wouldn't call them large and I don't mind showing my booty. So should I just dress "petite" :confused:

I need a style makeover!

pear shaped if hips big in relation to waist and deflated chest? either that or hourglass?

dress for your shape no matter what size you are and it will always make you look slimmer.

I've never ever been able to buy clothes I like. I was shopping in Inspire before I was old enough to have an interest in fashion, so when I did take an interest in my clothes I was stuck with Evans! I don't even bother with New Look anymore, I get so depressed seeing all the nice clothes in the front (that you can't avoid cos Inspire is waaaaay at the back) and then seeing my choice of 4 tops and 2 pairs of jeans, if you're lucky that is.

I cannot wait to be able to go into any shop I like and buy something I actually want to wear!! I'm sick of wearing ugly clothes. I'm going to be absolutely skint when I hit target. I'll probably cry with happiness when I buy my first target outfit! It will probably be overwhelming yeah, but I'm looking forward to it!!!!:D:D:D

pear shaped if hips big in relation to waist and deflated chest? either that or hourglass?

dress for your shape no matter what size you are and it will always make you look slimmer.

Definitely hourglass. And petite :)

More important than shape are colours and it's well worth getting your colours done!
I had them done a couple of years ago - I'm autumn too. I'd really love to get a set of the colour cards to keep in my handbag. Anyone got any ideas where to look for them?

Leapfrog said:
Definitely hourglass. And petite :)

I had them done a couple of years ago - I'm autumn too. I'd really love to get a set of the colour cards to keep in my handbag. Anyone got any ideas where to look for them?

No idea! Fortunately my friend and I are the same colouring (Cool Winter) she had her colours dine and got the key ring so I just borrow hers!

Leapfrog & Shirleen - what is this getting your colours done thing all about?! I'm intrigued!

evilpenguin said:
Leapfrog & Shirleen - what is this getting your colours done thing all about?! I'm intrigued!

It's from Colour Me Beautiful although I believe it may have changed names.
Originally you were categorised into seasons Spring Summer Autumn Winter and the associated colours, according to your own colouring, skin tone etc. Try googling you'll find pics of the same woman in different colours and you'll see how some colours drain her, some heighten unwanted colour, some just fade her into the wallpaper, but the right colours make you look great!

Now they split the seasons further into warm/cool.
Now just because my colours say I don't look good in brown doesn't mean i can't wear it just that I should wear another colour close to my face!
HTH

Thanks, that's interesting. Think I'll just wear whatever colours I like though:D

evilpenguin said:
Thanks, that's interesting. Think I'll just wear whatever colours I like though:D

I thought that until I caught a glimpse of myself in a shop mirror, Boy does my face not suit wearing Orange! I looked dreadful!

Oh and you can do an online quiz to get an idea of your season!

I did one just now! It wasn't a season though it was just a block of colours I got, apparently I will look best in cool toned clothes. It makes sense, I have a reddish pink top on today which I think looks good but I also have the same top in blue and prefer wearing it, think it 'pops' more if that makes sense? The test gave me lots of bright colours, greens and blues, which I love wearing so I'm happy!! :D

evilpenguin said:
I did one just now! It wasn't a season though it was just a block of colours I got, apparently I will look best in cool toned clothes. It makes sense, I have a reddish pink top on today which I think looks good but I also have the same top in blue and prefer wearing it, think it 'pops' more if that makes sense? The test gave me lots of bright colours, greens and blues, which I love wearing so I'm happy!! :D

You generally find that you'll be wearing the colours that suit you, but often not the right tone, a cerise pink will look great on some women, yet others will suit a more plummy shade or another baby pink, it's all in the tone!

You generally find that you'll be wearing the colours that suit you, but often not the right tone, a cerise pink will look great on some women, yet others will suit a more plummy shade or another baby pink, it's all in the tone!

The thing is when you're plus sized you don't have a lot of choice. A big motivation for me losing weight is to wear clothes I look good in, feel good in and actually like. There's so much better choice out there for slimmer folks.

Back