Shopping for smaller clothes sizes

evilpenguin said:
The thing is when you're plus sized you don't have a lot of choice. A big motivation for me losing weight is to wear clothes I look good in, feel good in and actually like. There's so much better choice out there for slimmer folks.

That's why we all end up in black lol

shelleylovesjelly said:
Hey everyone, I wanted to ask about how people have felt when they have been shopping for smaller clothes sizes, and to share a little something.

One the one hand, I really can't wait to lose more weight and fit into smaller clothes, it will be such an achievement and will really show how well I will have done.

On the other hand, I find the prospect of shopping for smaller clothes absolutely terrifying. As it stands, when I need something new to wear (note "need", rarely "want"), I go to Evans or the small selections in New Look or H&M, choose something that will fit me and that's that. When I think about the time when I can walk into any shop, go to any rack and choose any item I want, I am absolutely terrified. It feels overwhelming, the amount of choice, I don't know how people do it.

I think that many of us can relate to how you feel. I am still scared going into shops that I won't fit into anything and there are loads of places that I haven't yet been into. I didn't even know where to start having not been into those type of shops for 10+ years.

I would recommend a personal shopping thing either to help update your wardrobe or just to try stuff on. You don't have to buy anything and it doesn't cost anything - Debenhams and John Lewis do it but I'm sure there are others. It really helped me look at different colours and styles that I wouldn't have done before. Enjoy :)

Gail xx

Sent from my iPhone

I think that many of us can relate to how you feel. I am still scared going into shops that I won't fit into anything and there are loads of places that I haven't yet been into. I didn't even know where to start having not been into those type of shops for 10+ years.

I would recommend a personal shopping thing either to help update your wardrobe or just to try stuff on. You don't have to buy anything and it doesn't cost anything - Debenhams and John Lewis do it but I'm sure there are others. It really helped me look at different colours and styles that I wouldn't have done before. Enjoy :)

Gail xx

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks Gail, the personal shopping thing sounds like a great idea!

Ladies I'd just like to say thankyou for the response to this question, I think sometimes you can feel alone in your own mental head and that nobody will understand how you are feeling. Thanks for the support!

I'm really enjoying shopping in "normal" shops, but feel frustrated at times as I just don't know what style suits me. I've moved away from all over black and now most of my wardrobe is bright colours. I think the personal shopper idea will be fab for me when I get to target.

I'm finding jeans such a problem though. I started sw wearing size 20 Yours jeans and have gradually slimmed through all their sizes until now size 14 are held up with a belt. However, because I now have a defined waist, jeans from next, dorothy perkins, bhs and new look all gape at the back and look silly. I just want nice jeans that fit properly. I have curves, not just straight up and down!!

I have to say, out of all the shops I prefer jeans from Sainsburys! They seem to be far better quality than most others, reasonably priced and are a really nice fit :)

I'm really enjoying shopping in "normal" shops, but feel frustrated at times as I just don't know what style suits me. I've moved away from all over black and now most of my wardrobe is bright colours. I think the personal shopper idea will be fab for me when I get to target.

I'm finding jeans such a problem though. I started sw wearing size 20 Yours jeans and have gradually slimmed through all their sizes until now size 14 are held up with a belt. However, because I now have a defined waist, jeans from next, dorothy perkins, bhs and new look all gape at the back and look silly. I just want nice jeans that fit properly. I have curves, not just straight up and down!!

I hear ya, sadly it doesn't get much better. I have a pair of jeans that I had 6 inches altered out of the waist and they still gape. I don't know who they should have fit, but I was determined to have them :)

I think really good jeans tend to be the really expensive ones. One of my first target treats will be a pair of Levi's. The jeans I have from Evans and New Look are rubbish. The crotch bit is always too low down so I have to wear them up high for them to look right, the seams always come away and I have put far too many pairs of Evans jeans in the bin cos the seam on the legs ripped all the way up beyond repair!

You guys have done so well, I say treat yourself to some expensive jeans!! :D

I will probably have to do that eveilpenguin and buy some more expensive ones, but not until I get to target! Looks like I may just have to struggle for the next 3 months or so! At least it's not just me.

I used to get my jeans from a shop that's no longer on the high st and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it, it's bugging me so much!

Anyway I have a high waist and a definite difference in waist to hip size, the only jeans that look the right shape for my shape are Karen Millen jeans. My friend asked me to take them up for her!

I used to get my jeans from a shop that's no longer on the high st and for the life of me I cannot remember the name of it, it's bugging me so much!

Anyway I have a high waist and a definite difference in waist to hip size, the only jeans that look the right shape for my shape are Karen Millen jeans. My friend asked me to take them up for her!

Home | Damenmode | Karen Millen

Are these the ones? I see they go to size 16, I may have to treat myself when I get to that size:D

Was it Etam? I used to bloody love that shop! The British high street needs to wake up, Paris aka fashion capital of the world still had Etam, what does that tell them?!

shelleylovesjelly said:
Was it Etam? I used to bloody love that shop! The British high street needs to wake up, Paris aka fashion capital of the world still had Etam, what does that tell them?!

No it wasn't Etam but I too liked that store, this was quite upmarket well for me anyhow, I suppose it was like Next before they existed. Damn this is going to bug me! I can even see their window display in my memory but I can't quite get to see the name!

Anyway their Jeans were a proper shape with room for a ladies bum!

Now apparently WOW Jeans from Fashionworld are made to avoid the gape!

shelleylovesjelly said:
Hey everyone, I wanted to ask about how people have felt when they have been shopping for smaller clothes sizes, and to share a little something.

One the one hand, I really can't wait to lose more weight and fit into smaller clothes, it will be such an achievement and will really show how well I will have done.

On the other hand, I find the prospect of shopping for smaller clothes absolutely terrifying. As it stands, when I need something new to wear (note "need", rarely "want"), I go to Evans or the small selections in New Look or H&M, choose something that will fit me and that's that. When I think about the time when I can walk into any shop, go to any rack and choose any item I want, I am absolutely terrified. It feels overwhelming, the amount of choice, I don't know how people do it.

I'm sure that when it comes down to it, and I finally reach that point, my bank manager will say that I have absolutely no trouble shopping and didn't know what all the fuss was about!

Hi Shelley.
I've gone from a 16 to a 12 so far and one of the things that definitely helped me was having a good friend to shop with. Mine is a size 8 to 10 and I wouldn't have dreamt of going with her before (too embarrassing) but I think as ur size goes down, your confidence goes up. Plus, as she is my 'BFF' she tells me when we need a shopping trip! "...those jeans are far too big! They look dreadful, we need a shopping trip!"

On the subject of jeans, I found different types from Dorothy Perkins were right for me. I'm short so their petite sizes are the right length but I stuck with boot cut as a 14. Now I am a 12 i have boot cut, baby boot cut (really nice) and super skinny!!!! (these are mega stretchy and I wear them with long boots)

Without my friend, I'm not sure I'd have the confidence to get any of them or even stay in a shop like Jane Norman or oasis for more than 10 seconds!

Good luck with your journey. X

Course the other problem is that as +sizes we've been conditioned to just buy what fits and isn't throughly hideous (lesser of two evils sometimes in evans!) when you get to a point where you can buy from most shops - how do you know what your 'look' is? I mean, I'm nowhere near target (obv, after 9 weeks!) but I've been overweight my entire life, the last time I wore anything resembling normal size clothes I was a silly teenager wearing 'barbie is a slut' teeshirts and dungarees (aaah the 90s!) and if i get to a target I'll be 30 or more, so I'll need to figure out how I want to look now! I think that the choice will be bewildering, but then fashion seems horrific most of the time so i guess it won't matter!

I wont know what to do with myself when I can go into ANY shop and know that something will fit and look nice!

I cant wait to go into a shop like All Saints or Topshop and not feel like everyones looking at me thinking 'theres nothing in here for you love'.

Back