Shops - Clothes Sizes

suespain

Loves living in the sun
Yesterday I headed for the wonderful Primark in Elche.

Main aim was jeans - desparately needed them as all mine are too big!

So, choice was; Skinny, Super Skinny and Skinny with flare.

Started in changing room with a size 14 Skinny - legs fitted lovely, but could have put another person in the waist (well not quite - but too big) - so chuffed as you could imagine. Went into the shop again to get more pairs to try ...

I went to get a 12 - well, I was poured into the legs and the waist fitted perfect - far too tight to be comfortable and as I am not that far off of target weight - decided it was too much of a risk to buy those. Also took in another 2 styles (all 12's) only the skinny with flare fitted nicely - so I bought 3 pairs of them (11 Euro each).

Tops - lovely short length jumpers that I was after, looked at the 14's they didn't look big enough - so looked at the 16's they looked better - tried on - fitted lovely.

Now at 10st 8lb I was chuffed to be a 12 - but a 16 top - come on!!!

Have been buying size 14 tops since I was in the 13 stones - so how come I've got bigger on the top - but I now have to buy smaller cup bras :( (another reason for Primark yesterday)!!!

Anyone else find clothes sizing strange?

OK my rant over!!

suespain said:
Yesterday I headed for the wonderful Primark in Elche.

Main aim was jeans - desparately needed them as all mine are too big!

So, choice was; Skinny, Super Skinny and Skinny with flare.

Started in changing room with a size 14 Skinny - legs fitted lovely, but could have put another person in the waist (well not quite - but too big) - so chuffed as you could imagine. Went into the shop again to get more pairs to try ...

I went to get a 12 - well, I was poured into the legs and the waist fitted perfect - far too tight to be comfortable and as I am not that far off of target weight - decided it was too much of a risk to buy those. Also took in another 2 styles (all 12's) only the skinny with flare fitted nicely - so I bought 3 pairs of them (11 Euro each).

Tops - lovely short length jumpers that I was after, looked at the 14's they didn't look big enough - so looked at the 16's they looked better - tried on - fitted lovely.

Now at 10st 8lb I was chuffed to be a 12 - but a 16 top - come on!!!

Have been buying size 14 tops since I was in the 13 stones - so how come I've got bigger on the top - but I now have to buy smaller cup bras :( (another reason for Primark yesterday)!!!

Anyone else find clothes sizing strange?

OK my rant over!!

Yes, all clothes sizing is strange, but primark really really takes re biscuit!

Next time you go in, you might get into a size 6 or maybe a 26!!

I honestly would not read into primark sizings too much! xx

Thanks, will be good to get back to the UK next month to go to other shops and see what I can get (and what size!) - I can feel a big spending spree coming on - shame weight allowance is only 20kg in suitcase (perhaps I could layer!!!)

Often I go into Primark and emerge with different items of clothing ranging from sizes 8-18. So frustrating as you can never seem to have a true 'size'. Try not to worry about it too much, I'm guessing it's the same for most of us xx

I agree Primark is weird with its sizes and other shops can be funny too, like in H&M managed to get into a 12 top but fitted a 16 on the bottom. Tesco I'm still 14 all round, Next I'm getting into 12, etc.

All shops have different sizes just trial and error and the important thing is if it fits can always cut out the label :)

Yup, Primarni is a nightmare for sizing. I have tops from there ranging from a 10 to an 18, their 18 skirts and trousers fit, but do not look flattering at all, and I was up to an 18 in their coats, but they wouldn't fasten over the boobs very well, and the shoulders drowned me! Other shops I am generally a 12 top 14 bottom.

It's only a label though I keep telling myself. But it's never nice being told "you'll have to go a size up in that duck" by whoever had opted to join me on such an expedition.

Massive congrats on nearly being at target though :D

Primark sizes are dodgy and also sometimes just plain wrong, as in the label must be mixed up. Ages ago I bought a jacket from there. I was at the top end of a size 16 and the one that fit best had a size 10 label inside. Don't take Primark sizes as an indicator of anything, seriously. You'll just go crazy if you do!

Tonight, I tried on a pair of Primarni tights. Size L, the thicker type wollen-esque ones with tram lines down them, £3 a pair. The crotch was between where it should be and my knees. Now, at 5' 2", how do normal sized women fit in these!?!?! I say this whilst wearing a Primarni dress size 12 which is too big on me.

Bl00dy Primark....

Tonight, I tried on a pair of Primarni tights. Size L, the thicker type wollen-esque ones with tram lines down them, £3 a pair. The crotch was between where it should be and my knees. Now, at 5' 2", how do normal sized women fit in these!?!?! I say this whilst wearing a Primarni dress size 12 which is too big on me.

Bl00dy Primark....
Eek, I must go and try on the tights I bought last week while on holiday in the UK. I do hope they're OK as I got 6 pairs :eek:

I've stopped shopping in primark because I got so fed up with their sizing. I would try on say a pair of jeans which fit so I would get a couple more pairs of the same jeans as well and they wouldn't fit! Grrr

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Only problem is all the Spanish clothes shops cater for the mega slim young Spanish - so I can't get anything to fit. Went into C&A the other day and everything was for the oldies (no offence intended), so Primark is a lifesaver out here - just have to spend hours trying on.

i love primark....but the sizing is v strange! i have 3 cowboy shirts from there...a 12, a 14 and a 16! but they all fit the same!

Primark is useless never ever ever ever go by the sizing!! I got some black jeggins from there last week, tried a 14 on they where too big so tried a 12 on they were to big, tried a 10 and they fit perfect!! :0/ now i went back on monday bout another two pairs but primark being known for their sizing dilemmas... i tried them on and couldnt get them past the knees, got them in a 14... its blumming weird! Its the same everywhere now but primark is defiantly the worse for sizing.. My friend is a small 10 and she gets a size 14 in vest at primark because they are too small in the 10 its daft just never go by the sizes in there... ever! lol... x

Back