Sick of carrying 2 hitch hikers about, so this is my diary

Yes Tilly I think you are right :D I banned asparatin (sp) from this house about 6 months + ago after reading something which made my hair curl. I'm not saying its not safe etc but there were so many iffy things about it and one of them being the way it made you want to eat more etc etc. Alot of NAS squashes contain it too :( in fact most of them do. If I have squash I buy the high juice ones and just have a glass a day and enjoy it. Otherwise I buy sparkling water and add ie a slice of lemon or lime, or just drink water. It was after reading/watching about it that I converted :)

Hi Jackie, I was the same as you, I went and banned it when I saw or read about it making you want to eat/drink more and can't you taste it in the squash too. I think it's vile and I only ever drink coffee, 1 cup a day, or iced water with the odd and very very rare coke zero thrown in, only had full fat pepsi yesterday because it came with the meal ;p; xx

Hi Jackie, I was the same as you, I went and banned it when I saw or read about it making you want to eat/drink more and can't you taste it in the squash too. I think it's vile and I only ever drink coffee, 1 cup a day, or iced water with the odd and very very rare coke zero thrown in, only had full fat pepsi yesterday because it came with the meal ;p; xx

I was actually shocked at the things its in. isn't it it mullerlights too?

I have 2 mugs of real coffee every morning then water. I do have the odd glass of high juice with fizzy water but it is the odd glass so I don't worry about it. I don't even have one a day. I rather like water now I'm used to it and feel better for it.

I didn't want my kids drinking it. I can smell it now. Hence the diet coke chicken being a no no apart from fact it went wrong on me and didn't thicken, I could smell the sweetener in it. gross.

I was actually shocked at the things its in. isn't it it mullerlights too?

I have 2 mugs of real coffee every morning then water. I do have the odd glass of high juice with fizzy water but it is the odd glass so I don't worry about it. I don't even have one a day. I rather like water now I'm used to it and feel better for it.

I didn't want my kids drinking it. I can smell it now. Hence the diet coke chicken being a no no apart from fact it went wrong on me and didn't thicken, I could smell the sweetener in it. gross.

Hi hun,
It's in lots of things, have to check everything. I stick mostly to plain old tap water with ice, but if I do have anything else and I specifically stay away from squashes, never liked them much anyway, always hated the taste, too artificial, other than the pineapple high juice, now that I could drink gallons of, but I avoid it too as I know I could and at one point did become addicted to it.
I am usually very hot on checking my items to see if they contain aspartame, it is in muller light, just checked the shape delight yoghurt too and it's in them ..I am gutted, they don't actually have a list on the pot, and I didn't actually look at the packaging, but just went to their site and looked it up and yep it's there, so they won't be bought again, need to find a replacement now ...I am angry with myself for not checking, I thought I was so up on it too, just shows how much more alert I should be...but looking back I should have known, I was becoming quickly addicted to the shape delight yoghurt..oh well off to search out some that don't have it in lol ..speak soon xx

Now I'm gutted, I eat yoghurt as I won't drink milk, I start and can't stop and same for cheese, so I have avoided them like mad and we all need dairy, will have to research this thoroughly. On a good note I have just discovered that Lidl also do my sweetener in granulated form and not just tablets, that's cool xx

I wouldn't imagine the yoghurts have as much sweetner in them Lily :( I'm gutted too as I honestly thought i'd cut that darned stuff out of our diets :( I found some that are aspartame free but my Tesco don't sell them. They are called Yoplait Source 0%. reckon they are Canada only :( so far can't find any then :(

You are so disciplined, there's no way I could cut that out as it's bad enough cutting sugar out for me, I have to at least pretend I'm getting sweetness. Way I see it ive already done so much to change what I put in my body and I know that change will not make me happy so I'm not going to force myself and be unhappy...

But kudos to you being able to!!

Must say I was really happy to find my blood sugars were fine as I was constantly worrying I was in danger of getting diabetes as my uncle has it and my mum was borderline for it, she's turned that around now happily with losing weight. When I was rushed in with gall stones i'd developed acute pancreatitis so they had to do regular bloodtests. It was fine when they tested so was a relief.

You have done so well reducing your blood sugar xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Actually that could explain why you wanted to binge cos I don't know if it was that doc or another one who explained about aspartame in diet foods and drinks and how your body releases insulin when you have them for the sugar but they don't contain sugar so your body isn't satisfied til you feed the insulin. Maybe the sweetener in the 1 syn cupcakes set you off.

How's today going food wise?

OMG, this could explain alot....I made (and ate) one syn cup-cakes yesterday.

Yesterday was the hardest day I have had since getting back on track 4 weeks ago. Today...no cup-cakes...no sugar cravings....

Remaining cup-cakes are now being banished to the bin!!!!!

Must watch that video. I missed it first time round and was intrigued by comments I'd read in forums about it.

So this sweetner question comes up again, do I delete it from my diet, reduce it or take icebaby's view. Have to watch the video and see. Its one I pondered right at the start.

Love you invites by the way Lily. That font is so elegant. Perfect for a wedding. ;)

Must watch that video. I missed it first time round and was intrigued by comments I'd read in forums about it.

So this sweetner question comes up again, do I delete it from my diet, reduce it or take icebaby's view. Have to watch the video and see. Its one I pondered right at the start.

Love you invites by the way Lily. That font is so elegant. Perfect for a wedding. ;)
Having read up on that particular sweetner I would prefer to eliminate it but it is not easy its in loads of stuff... would love to find a syn free yoghurt that didn't contain it but so far no joy. Next step for me will be to use syn free natural yoghurt and add fruit etc to it and see how I cope :)

Next step for me will be to use syn free natural yoghurt and add fruit etc to it and see how I cope :)

I fancy LF greek yogurt with apple and cinnamon swirled through it. Not gonna syn one pulped down apple no matter what they say.
DH loves it with banana folded in and walnuts sprinkled on top. Not syn free but lovely at 2 syns for 2 halves crushed.

Roziee - I'm with you on the proper sugar. Went through a phase of using sweetner in my iced coffee at night but it left a twang so went back to my sugar. Much better. ;)

I fancy LF greek yogurt with apple and cinnamon swirled through it. Not gonna syn one pulped down apple no matter what they say.
DH loves it with banana folded in and walnuts sprinkled on top. Not syn free but lovely at 2 syns for 2 halves crushed.

Roziee - I'm with you on the proper sugar. Went through a phase of using sweetner in my iced coffee at night but it left a twang so went back to my sugar. Much better. ;)

mmmm going to try this. I like the tesco 0% greek yoghurt, Its a nice flavour compared to some so might try and mess around until find something I like. could even syn weeny bit of honey?

Having read up on that particular sweetner I would prefer to eliminate it but it is not easy its in loads of stuff... would love to find a syn free yoghurt that didn't contain it but so far no joy. Next step for me will be to use syn free natural yoghurt and add fruit etc to it and see how I cope :)

This is what I tend to do as not a big fan of mullerlights, shape yogs etc.

I usually get low fat nat yog, total 0% greek yog, or low fat fromage frais and mix them with fruit - Frozen fruit is good becuase it is usually cheaper that fresh and when you mix it with the yogurt and it starts to defrost the juices mix into it and give it a really nice flavour.

I have a big bowl of this most days and it definately is a good sweet fix with a far better taste than shop brought flavoured yogurts x

I don't think you'll be able to get rid of it completely. It's in most diet foods. That's why they have lower calories.

Greek yogurt with fruit I could cope with.

I like the shape yogurts so will still have them but I suppose it's like everything else - moderation.

It's just nice to be aware of what may cause us to binge and this is a biggy on that front.

Crumble - I don't know if it was this doc that it was on. It was an Irish girl. I can't remember her name but I've seen her on the telly and she followed a diet and they did regular tests and explained the science behind it all.

Hi everyone,
I have spent a lot of time this afternoon checking foods and it looks like Tilly is right (as usual lol), there are just too many items with it in for us to cut it out completely, unless we stick to just fruit veg and fresh meat. I think I will continue what I am doing, other than my daughter buying a brand of sweetener that I don't usually use (if I buy granulated sweetener it's usually Splenda, but she wasn't going to pay Splenda prices), I actually only use sweetener or sugar in my coffee (1 cup a day) and the odd cake or piece of cake, I know the last few days it may not have seemed it, but I rarely eat cake or sweet stuff, I am a savoury person, now if they could develop a way of making salt and vinegar apples and oranges I'd really be interested lol, from what I can see in my own diet, I will only really come in contact with Aspatame when I eat the odd yoghurt, now I have the willpower to eat as few or as many as I want, so from now on, it will be fewer.
The documentary you are talking about Tilly is the one with Zoe Salmon in called, The big fat truth about low fat foods...that's scary stuff...I have seen it about 3 times now and it doesn't make good viewing...let's just say I won't ever buy any Weight Watchers products in future ewww might as well eat the wallpaper paste off my walls lol
I think we are aware of the problem aspartame and the only thing we can do is just avoid it as much as possible, I don't want to go back to using "real" sugar even in the smallest amounts, and just accept that unless they allow Stevia (read up on it)in the UK, we will never have a really safe alternative xx

I am going to look stupid here, but seriously my brains not kicking in what does LF stand for??? xx

OMG just as I clicked send I got it :doh: :8855: xx

Lily42uk said:
I am going to look stupid here, but seriously my brains not kicking in what does LF stand for??? xx

OMG just as I clicked send I got it :doh: :8855: xx

I think it's low fat, Lily xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ok my menu for today was, not forgetting I had a really late start:

Mid morning (11.30ish):
Melon
Strawberries
Crumble Yoghurt 0.5 syns
Coffee 1.5 syns

Lunch:
Chunky Minestrone Soup
Peach