Slightly confused about ketosis!

Dohnuts

Hi,

I'm planning on starting a keto diet in the next few days but I'm a little confused about what I can and can't have in my diet.
I know everybody is different, but I'm a little confused about whether I can have small amounts of skimmed milk in my diet. It only contains 5g of carbs in every 100ml, but I read on another forum that the lactose would kick me out of ketosis...but then cheese is allowed which also contains lactose. :confused:
Does anyone have any advice or experience with including milk and cheese in their keto diet?

And i'm also curious about black coffee...again, lot's of mixed comments about caffeine preventing ketosis.
Any help would be appreciated :)

Dohnuts xx

Ketosis can work... but have you tried losing weight the conventional way yet i.e. eat less, do more? If not I'd suggest you try that before starting a keto diet or similar honestly.

I have tried many times before doing the conventional 'just eat healthier things and exercise 30 mins 5 times a week'. But after a few weeks of absolutely nothing happening I've always given up, so I thought I might try a new approach.

Hi dohnuts - milk has lactose which contains sugar/carbs while aged hard cheese doesnt so is lower carb. Therefore usually recommended to avoid milk - frankly the carbs wont necessarily be a problem if just a splash but if you like plenty (and it can add up during the day) then i would recommend unsweetened soya milk.

More importantly even though cheese and cream are low carb they unfortunately stall many people (not all) so worth watching the amounts and adjusting if it seems to give a problem.

If you want more advice on low carb then feel free to come over to the atkins part of the site - all low carbers welcome.

Thanks Kat1e :)

I have tried many times before doing the conventional 'just eat healthier things and exercise 30 mins 5 times a week'. But after a few weeks of absolutely nothing happening I've always given up, so I thought I might try a new approach.

It's physically impossible NOT to lose weight if you diet properly. You don't even need to exercise if your diet is in check. If you aren't losing weight, you simply decrease your calorie intake. It might be hard, but that's life I'm afraid.

I would urge you first to lose weight the conventional way. It honestly isn't as hard as you think.

It's physically impossible NOT to lose weight if you diet properly. You don't even need to exercise if your diet is in check. If you aren't losing weight, you simply decrease your calorie intake. It might be hard, but that's life I'm afraid.

I would urge you first to lose weight the conventional way. It honestly isn't as hard as you think.

I would echo this. If your calorie intake is less than your calories used, your body will be using up your fat stores to make up the shortfall. Good luck :)

Got to say that is true to a degree however having been on a calorie controlled diet I can tell you the theory behind creating a calorie deficit sounds great however if like me your body is a very efficient machine then the deficit effect only lasts a very small time. And so I then have to try other alternatives or change things.

Back