Slimming with disabled kids

BB2013

So prior to baby I used to run regular didn't have a sweet tooth and was in great shape.
Now...not so much!
During pregnancy I got a sweet tooth which hasn't left and a very colicky refluxy baby started to just grab and go and started putting the weight on.
At 4 months old we found out about my daughters disability and now at least 1 or 2 times a month I have some kind of hospital appointment. Plus the extra care during the other days.
I live with my dh but he works a lot. I also work 3 days a week.
I want to be happier, healthier and start looking after myself again. I'm hoping there is some other slimmers on here in a similar situation that understand the extra level of hectic and stress having a disabled child brings and how they have been able to overcome this!
Thanks

Maybe start off focusing on managing your stress better. I assume stress is making you crash and want all sorts of food? Maybe also not buy all that junk food. It's a start, but take it one day at a time. You got this!

So prior to baby I used to run regular didn't have a sweet tooth and was in great shape.
Now...not so much!
During pregnancy I got a sweet tooth which hasn't left and a very colicky refluxy baby started to just grab and go and started putting the weight on.
At 4 months old we found out about my daughters disability and now at least 1 or 2 times a month I have some kind of hospital appointment. Plus the extra care during the other days.
I live with my dh but he works a lot. I also work 3 days a week.
I want to be happier, healthier and start looking after myself again. I'm hoping there is some other slimmers on here in a similar situation that understand the extra level of hectic and stress having a disabled child brings and how they have been able to overcome this!
Thanks

Hi, I'm not sure if you're still lurking the forum but I just thought I'd post to say I know the hectic you are talking about and do sympathise. I haven't got any disabled children but we do have some extra challenges we have to deal with everyday, I have 3 children, 2 of which have multiple food allergies, and 1 of which has a sensory disorder with autistic traits, I'm still fighting to get him accessed, I've got 2 more appointments this week actually. But theres not usually a month that will go by without having a hospital appointment or 2 and repeated prescriptions to pick up (they have a lot of medical needs) and my husband works alot so it is mostly me who will sort it out. I've been struggling with how to fit in time for me to exercise/relax/eat healthy. I'm fitting it in best I can, and thats my advice to you, just do your best and know that is good enough, and right now your best maybe just doing the basics and getting through a day.

After going through quite a low point I decided I had to lighten up on trying to constantly lose weight, I'm breastfeeding my youngest and from what I've read I think my body just wants to retain a bit to cover us incase food becomes low (yeh right lol) so I'm focusing on little changes such as not having takeaways at all as I think that has a big affect on my losses or lack of at the moment. Now its getting warmer I will be taking the children out walking for my exercise rather than trying to fit it in at home, so its little changes that will add up. Rather than putting yourself through anything drastic that is just going to put more pressure on you just think of some small changes, just off the top of my head... reduce your sugar in your tea gradually if you have it, eat an extra piece of fruit if you don't eat much, take a multivitamin etc.. Hope you got off to a good start :)

I'm glad you understand thanks so much for replying. It's just the emotional and mental drain of it all....you totally come last in the chain of importance!
Thanks for the tips much appreciated. Can't wait for the nicer weather to try to get out a bit.
Unfortunately it's the wine that gets me! Xx

I'm glad you understand thanks so much for replying. It's just the emotional and mental drain of it all....you totally come last in the chain of importance!
Thanks for the tips much appreciated. Can't wait for the nicer weather to try to get out a bit.
Unfortunately it's the wine that gets me! Xx

Chocolate is my wine.. I agree it is a massive emotional and mental drain, and we have no choice but to put them first and take that strain as it is our job, but it doesn't make it any easier and I'm sure you're the same when I say, you talk to friends in search of some mental support and unless you are in a similar situation other people just can't understand the strain it causes. The sun does the world of good can't wait! x

Back