Slimming World and PCOS?

Nadia

Hi All!

I have seen a few posts from those who have PCOS but thought I would start a new updated thread.

I am about 10 stone overweight and have lost a considerable amount before on LL which was great considering I have PCOS. Have tried to get back on track but found it really difficult without conventional food. Now I'm back to the heaviest I've ever been :cry:

I have been thinking about committing to SW and wondered how everyone found the losses with PCOS?

Are there any other big losers out there that have PCOS and on SW?

Hi Nadia,

I'm new to Minimins but not entirely new to SW. I also have quite severe PCOS & have struggled a lot with weight in the past. I managed to lose 3 1/2 stone on SW about 18 months ago & I'm now trying to get some more off. I've found that then & now that the weight loss has been a steady 1.5-2lbs a week :)

SW works well with PCOS as it helps balance your insulin levels which in turn will balance everything else - plus you stay full & you can eat carbs! (I'm a carb fan as most PCOS ladies seem to be!)

I've tried WW and found it high in sugar - which isn't a good thing for us PCOS ladies, I've also tried cal counting & it was too easy to cheat myself!! I am a true an of SW.

Weight loss has made a huge difference to my symptoms & I'm sure no matter how you do it you'll notice that too!

Good luck on your journey & feel free to contact me if you want :)

Charli XxX

Hi,

I lost seven stone years ago on the old mix2max plan which is similar to extra easy. I found with the PCOS I couldnt lose on green with all the carbs but was fine on extra easy. I started at the beginning of the yr but faffed about and started properly on Aug 4th and have lost almost 3 stone now in those 13 weeks. The PCOS is hugely improved and I would really recomend it.

Hi,
I have pcos I first did slimming world about 2 years ago and lost 3 1/2 stone on extra easy, left my group and now I've put nearly 2 stone on in a year and half :( back on slimming world and I've lost half a stone in 3 weeks :)
I found all my symptoms improved when I lost weight, think it depends on what treatment your on as well! I've recently started getting laser treatment and it's really helped not just with my symptoms but with my confidence to which makes it easier to stay on plan!
I can't recommend slimming world enough it really works for me when I'm on plan and is better than any other diet I've tried ( I've tried a lot lol)
Good luck with your journey
Xx

Thank you so much for your replies. It is reassuring to hear your positive thoughts and hearing your losses on SW.

I lost 6 stone on LL but then became complacent as I hadn't had any conventional food for 5 months - not a crumb passed my lips!! I loved the quick weight loss but then missing food I went berserk and it all went back on plus more :break_diet:

I must admit I was a bit worried that the losses would be slower on SW and with nearly 10 stone to lose it's quite daunting. I was thinking of doing mainly ExtraEasy days with maybe 1 green day and 1 red day.

Do any of you do just ExtraEasy?

I'm new to SW, have PCOS and it's fairly severe, but I've lost 9lb in 4 weeks on mostly Green days, so I'm hoping to continue this way and for it to reduce the effect of pcos in my life

I stick to mainly green days & I've been losing a steady 1-1.5 lbs steadily, if you stick with it you'll be fine :) (When I behave, which I haven't lately!)

One of my friends (with very, very mild PCOS) lost 12 stone last year, she did a mix of red/green & stuck like glue to 10 syns a day and lost 2-3 lbs a week. And hasn't put anything back on!

Losses can depend on the person etc :) a dodgy week is nothing to worry about.

XxX

Hi

I have PCOS too, i have done SW in the past but my head has never really been in the game..... I have now been doing slimming world for 10 weeks and i have lost over 30lb.... I started on green days, about 2 weeks and got very bored.... My partner and i moved over to red day...... For someone like myself who always said i could live without meat but not pasta/rice etc i thought i wouldnt last.......well let me tell you, i dont miss pasta, potatoes or rice and that type of food, i eat less on red days, i dont feel tried on red days, i can always find food on menus that i can eat without worrying..... I still have 2 HEX b's a day so that takes care of my bread and hi-fi/alpen bars. My partner is alot happier with the meals i give him and he has lost lots of weight too..... For me this has worked and i am now pushing for my 2.5st award and i am in the 17st brackets which i cant remember that last time i was in here! woohoo :)

Good luck and keep us updated. xx

Glad to hear that I'm not alone with PCOS and Slimming World....i'm not actually weighing myself at the moment just trusting the plan, as far as I can see Slimming World is all healthy food that has low GI ratings, which is what i've been told us PCOS girls should be eating.

Good luck Nadia, love to hear how you get on :) xx

I'll tell you now, its a struggle with PCOS on slimming world, well for me anyway, my PCOS symptoms are constantly fighting against my weight loss but I'm determined not to give in as its because of the PCOS I am losing weight to start with and I'm only comfortable with dietting on SW. Good look, there is a fair bit of info in the PCOS section but its not very active, i pop in there every so often.

I have pcos and I joined slimming world in jan I've lost nearly 2 stone and I've stuck to extra easy but lately weight loss has become slow so I'm on my first red day and I'm finding it ok I'm craving the carbs of cous cous and pasta which is what I would normally have for lunch but I defo think this will boast weight loss for me good luck x

nothing tastes as good as being slim feels

Hi Nadia,

I'm new to Minimins but not entirely new to SW. I also have quite severe PCOS & have struggled a lot with weight in the past. I managed to lose 3 1/2 stone on SW about 18 months ago & I'm now trying to get some more off. I've found that then & now that the weight loss has been a steady 1.5-2lbs a week :)

SW works well with PCOS as it helps balance your insulin levels which in turn will balance everything else - plus you stay full & you can eat carbs! (I'm a carb fan as most PCOS ladies seem to be!)

I've tried WW and found it high in sugar - which isn't a good thing for us PCOS ladies, I've also tried cal counting & it was too easy to cheat myself!! I am a true an of SW.

Weight loss has made a huge difference to my symptoms & I'm sure no matter how you do it you'll notice that too!

Good luck on your journey & feel free to contact me if you want :)

Charli XxX

Hi How did you find sticking to it, I believe you probably need to be very organised with this? I am around 6 stone overweight and really want to start planning my future with babies so come to a head with it all and really want to start SW?

Ness

Hi

I have PCOS too, i have done SW in the past but my head has never really been in the game..... I have now been doing slimming world for 10 weeks and i have lost over 30lb.... I started on green days, about 2 weeks and got very bored.... My partner and i moved over to red day...... For someone like myself who always said i could live without meat but not pasta/rice etc i thought i wouldnt last.......well let me tell you, i dont miss pasta, potatoes or rice and that type of food, i eat less on red days, i dont feel tried on red days, i can always find food on menus that i can eat without worrying..... I still have 2 HEX b's a day so that takes care of my bread and hi-fi/alpen bars. My partner is alot happier with the meals i give him and he has lost lots of weight too..... For me this has worked and i am now pushing for my 2.5st award and i am in the 17st brackets which i cant remember that last time i was in here! woohoo :)

Good luck and keep us updated. xx

Hi So you found the red and green books easier did you? I was trying the extra easy and got confused and probs ate to much haha nice to know.

Ness

I have pcos (quite severe) and I'm on my second week of slimming world and have lost 7lb extra easy plan

Think PCOS should be a sticky really, I bet there are plenty here struggling with it :)

It does seem a good plan as it does limit your refined sugar and alcohol a lot which play havoc with the hormones. The 1/3 superfree rule also keeps carbs under control (I stick to this like glue, even at breakfast, unless eating out) and the rule about only solid fruit being Free is good for blood sugar too.

I've done 4 weeks and lost 6lb total. That's not sticking to it 100% on all days though I'm trying hard to be very good this week to speed it up a little. I would really like to lose another 8.5lb by Christmas, and I'm hoping that by then I might start to see changes in my acne which is currently really getting me down.

I do get a bit paranoid every week that up to now it was just a fluke and I won't have lost anything at all despite being reasonably good, given that I've tried and failed so many times before to lose weight. I suppose that might calm down once I get more used to the tension of weigh-in and feel I've lost a decent amount.

Hey ladies. I have had PCOS for 2 years now. It's taken 10 months but finally lost the weight I wanted to. The PCOS made it very hard. 8 week long cycles meant I'd go 2 weeks losing no weight or gaining annoying 1/2lbs...persevere!! That's all I can say. I'm now on Metformin which made me regular back to 32 day cycles again, still have one week every month where I lose nothing despite the effort....but you can still succeed with weight loss!

I have PCOS and my losses have been really good. I do struggle and have to work hard to lose when its a star week as I really bloat and retain a lot of water but I always somehow have managed to pull it back and have better losses the week after. Everyone is different though, its such a complex thing. I folllow the red plan and maybe once or twice a week I do one day on Extra Easy but generally I follow red mainly. My first week I did EE and only lost 1.5 lbs but as soon as I switched to red days that all changed and for the first few months I was losing really fast. Strange how our bodies work. I will never figure mine out lol The main key is sticking to plan 100% and exercise certainly helps. I do a lot of walking now, where as before just going to the local shop was a struggle. As the months have gone on my monthly's have got so much easier to live with too so that can only be a good thing. Good luck :)

Back