Slimming World Food Range!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think things like some SW healthy extra's items to purchase at the supermarket like bread etc would perhaps be useful, but I don't like the idea of ready meals etc.

with the amount of free foods available to us it is so quick to put something together, even in a short space of time and ready meals are not encouraging a healthy way of eating.

I already think things like bachelors savoury rices etc which are free are bad enough, when you look at what is in them and the nutritional value.

I must be in a debating mood also.......:p - but then I am pregnant so I am allowed to be moody. ;)

People don't always want to stand and make a meal from scratch though, see no harm in having healthy pre prepared meals once in a while, everything is fine in moderation. Also one does not always want an omelette or a baked potato with beans. People may say make loads of meals in advance and freeze them, but that's not an option for everyone, some people may only have a tiny freezer. Personally, I like the idea of sometimes being able to have options. I've been on SW for 3 weeks and am kind of getting sick of the sight of my chopping board now.

My consultant said the new 'chocolate deluxe' ones are going to be £1.95 for a pack of 4.

She did also say she didn't think they were anything special. She said the chocolate orange one was more chocolatey!

My C said the exact opposite, she said they are really good for the choccie fix, shes bringing some in, in a few weeks for us to try :)

But you can buy a Birds Eye Pasta Amatriciana (or something like that), a frozen ready meal which is free on SW.
It's about knowing what's available.......

Really no need for SW ready meals.

I LOVE cooking (which I suppose is pretty obvious), there is no way I would get any satisfaction out of bunging a ready meal in the microwave or oven. I like to see the lovely foods I can come up with, not to mention that because I am using all fresh ingredients (as encouraged by the SW plan) my 4 year old can eat pretty much everything I do without me having to worry about added preservatives etc. Plus freshly prepared food tastes so much better.

Also, him seeing and helping me make nutritious and healthy meals is important to me. As I think it will encourage a healthier eating lifestyle when he gets older.

What kind of message would I be sending to him, if I put a ready meal in the microwave or oven and then dished it up to him. It is just not something I am comfortable doing.

Which is probably why I am so against the idea of it. It doesn't encourage healthy eating.

Last edited:
I thought the part of the point of SW was getting back in touch with food.

I don't think that SW ready meals are a good idea - and surely if you can afford to buy ready meals, you can afford to buy the bags of pre-chopped veg or salad? stir fried veg (fresh or frozen) and some noodles/tinned potatoes take 5 minutes, add some herbs or spices, chicken breast or quorn and bobs yer uncle

I think that a range in Boots/tesco/sainsburys for example .. grab and go sandwiches or something with syn/plan values on would be very helpful but i COMPLETELY agree that microwave ready-meals would go against all the principles of SW.

The focus on healthy choices was the reason I chose to come back to SW after a few years of battling with faddy diets LOL

I think things like some SW healthy extra's items to purchase at the supermarket like bread etc would perhaps be useful

That's a great idea - it would be lovely to be able to buy SW wholemeal pitta breads that qualified to be a HEB for example.

I'm not a ready meal fan and think it goes against us re educating our eating habits, if i want a quick meal i will stick to stir fry !!!

I agree with those that have said a grab-n-go option would be good for picking up something for lunch when caught out. Ready made sandwiches are difficult because most don't use the wholemeal bread so they use too many syns.

Ready meals are OK once in a while, but there already plenty of options for something quick for dinner, either in another brand of ready meal, or a bag of ready cut veg and a packet of prawns - dinner in 3 or 4 minutes from start to finish!

What some people are not taking into account is that everyone has a different lifestyle, some people may have other issues to contend with. I suffer badly with depression for example, and some day just getting out of bed for me is a task and a half, never mind then having to stand about cooking. SW pre prepared meals which state if it's red or green how many syns it contains, if it's suitable for us vegetarians etc would make life easier. Plus, we don't all have children and also I very much doubt the odd pre prepared meal here or there (not every day!!) is going to ruin a child or make someone a bad parent. It's no different than letting them get a happy meal or giving them a soda.

I personally think denying children completely certain foods will have an adverse effect later in life. As when they get old enough to make their own choices, most will rebel against the grain of what they've been taught. Before I started at school I'd never had chips/fries, never seen a hamburger. I was an active child with a Mother who ensured I ate well, and yet I still ended up with foodie issues.

What I'm saying is we're all different, we all at some point have to make our own choices, you can't say "oh no that's a terrible idea" just because you may enjoy cooking every meal every day from scratch.

So yes, pre prepared meals, snacks etc with the SW values all there in black and white may be a God send for some. And if you are so against the idea of SW doing this, nobody will be forcing you to buy the products.

When I say i would like a ready meal it's because sometimes (OFSTED week + PARENTS evening) I cannot arrive home at 9:15 after being in school all day (from 7) and start to cook, even a stir fry. I can eat at school, where there is a microwave and to be honest I really don't enjoy eating pasta n' sauce or mugshots and last week was sick to death of baked spuds, cous cous and fricking baked beans! It would have been amazing to be able to pick up something (without needing access to syns online to check tescos syn free stuff- I shop in asda- and without having to worry about what I could eat and how much I should eat). I wouldn't use it every day but in that sort of occasion when there really is sod all else I wanted or could make I would have loved it!

I don't really eat ready meals but I can see they would maybe be handy if you got totally caught out and really didn't have a clue what you wanted or if you didn't fancy a spud and beans (which BTW is a combination that makes my stomach churn ;) )

What some people are not taking into account is that everyone has a different lifestyle, some people may have other issues to contend with. I suffer badly with depression for example, and some day just getting out of bed for me is a task and a half, never mind then having to stand about cooking. SW pre prepared meals which state if it's red or green how many syns it contains, if it's suitable for us vegetarians etc would make life easier. Plus, we don't all have children and also I very much doubt the odd pre prepared meal here or there (not every day!!) is going to ruin a child or make someone a bad parent. It's no different than letting them get a happy meal or giving them a soda.

I personally think denying children completely certain foods will have an adverse effect later in life. As when they get old enough to make their own choices, most will rebel against the grain of what they've been taught. Before I started at school I'd never had chips/fries, never seen a hamburger. I was an active child with a Mother who ensured I ate well, and yet I still ended up with foodie issues.

What I'm saying is we're all different, we all at some point have to make our own choices, you can't say "oh no that's a terrible idea" just because you may enjoy cooking every meal every day from scratch.

So yes, pre prepared meals, snacks etc with the SW values all there in black and white may be a God send for some. And if you are so against the idea of SW doing this, nobody will be forcing you to buy the products.

Sorry but I totally disagree with this, children can still have things like pizza, burgers and fries etc, infact anyone can but made in a much healthier way. I don't believe limiting them from having ready meals is going to have an adverse effect on their lives. Getting them involved with helping to cook meals from fresh ingredients encourages healthy eating and also encourages them to try things that they wouldn't otherwise try. You skip that entire process by serving them up a ready meal. I am not saying an occasional convenient meal is wrong, but everyone should be encouraged to cook from fresh products and know exactly what ingredients they are putting in their mouths. Supplying ready meals will just stop some people from doing that altogether, not everyone of course, but unfortunately some will and where is the healthiness in that? It goes totally against what the SW plan is about.

I hold my hands up and say I was one of those people who ate far too much of the convenience rubbish in the past, and it was that which was the main cause of my weight gain. Since doing SW however my attitude of food has completely changed not just for me but my entire family.

My son still has all the usual treats. I just choose to make most of them myself with him so I know exactly what he is eating. My son gets great enjoyment out of baking cookies and preparing meals etc with me. Choosing to not serve my son ready meals is not going to have an adverse affect on his life, what utter nonsense.

If my son asks for something in particular I don't deprive him and say oh no you can't have that. He can have pretty much anything he chooses. But there is no need to serve him up a ready meal and I can't see him ever wanting or asking for one to be honest. His first choice when wanting a snack is usually fresh fruit. He loves all kinds of fruit.

I also love the fact that my son can identify so many different ingredients. He is not going to learn that by eating a ready meal.

In all honesty though, SW making ready/convenience meals or not, isn't going to make much difference to me as I will be sticking to my fresh produce, as I wouldnt be 46lbs lighter and feeling the healthiest I have in years without the SW plan and the concept behind it. However I CAN say when I don't like the idea of something and think it is a bad idea, but it certainly doesnt mean that I expect everyone to agree and feel the same. It is my personal view on the subject. :)

I have never for one minute since starting SW, ever felt like I was on a diet. It is what I love so much about the plan.

Last edited:
I'm with you britmum!

If we look at the same situation with cleaning and personal hygiene, we don't think it's acceptable to have a baby-wipe wash every day, even though it achieves the same. People are taught to take care of themselves, take time to clean every day and wash their hair etc, and yet we are dismissive of taking the same care when it comes to what we eat. Unfortunately we are the unhealthiest generation to date, diet wise, and that is simply because people have substituted real food for processed junk food, and during this process, have lost sights of what a healthy balanced meal is.

Processed food, ready meals, junk food etc all have their place on occaision, but we need to re-adress the balance between normal, home prepared meals and what we can just pierce the film and pop in the microwave.

I do think that making SW meals available would make it easier for people to follow the plan, but teaches nothing about healthy eating as a way of life.

Before convenience food was around obesity was hardly an issue, now it's an epidemic - I don't think that's a coincidence.

Agree with you guys. I guess it's easy for me to say as I have literally not eaten one ready meal since the day I started uni at 19 but I just think if you plan properly you don't need them.

I have never been unfortunate enough to have experienced an Ofsted week (yet!) but I always take my leftovers from the night before, a sarnie or a cous cous salad into school with me and find this dead easy.

I absolutely adore cooking and this is because my parents got me involved in the cooking at such an early age (I was baking fresh bread with my dad at the age of 6. I used to make breakfast in bed for my parents when I was too short to even reach the cupboards- I would have to climb onto the work surface) I don't think foodie issues come from happy memories of cooking as a child! My foodie issues came from my mum trying to control what I ate so as long as you have the right balance (which britmum it sounds like you do) there's no problem.

Then again each to their own as i know a lot of people do love their ready meals- for me I don't see why I'd waste all that money on boring bland meals I could have made myself at a fraction of the price!

I'm sorry, but some people I think are just trying to turn this thread unnecessarily argumentative and not bothering to take on board that people have different needs at different times.

I also think comparing having the odd pre prepared meal that is SW stamp of approval, designed and made by them for their clients to not ever bathing is really far fetched. Since when was every once in a while wanting something you can grab on the go on the same level as having no regard for your personal hygiene!!!

Don't forget also your child is still very young, when older they will form their own choices and opinions that you wont be able to dictate. I agree that teaching children to be healthy is good, that's just basic common sense. But also trying to compare those of us who may want to take advantage of SW's idea to sell pre prepared, no fuss options to those who wish to use them on occasion to a dirty, slob who doesn't wash is frankly insulting and ridiculous and frankly I thought when I joined this forum that people wouldn't be judgmental, when in actual fact is seems some people like to think they can look down their nose as someone who wants to do things a bit differently but still with the same ultimate goal in mind.

I reckon this sort of attitude towards people and wanting to deny others something just because you yourself wouldn't want to use it is a bit harsh. It's like me as a vegetarian saying all the people who do red days are rubbish because they eat all that dead animal flesh, bringing your children up to eat all that chemically modified meat....

We could all judge and question something about someone else's lifestyle if we for some reason felt it our place to.

Crikey some people act so Holier than thou. I don't care who's pregnant either, I'm not being patronized by anybody.

Wow I think i missed something. But back on thread if sw did nice rm(like the steam fresh ones lol), then when i cant be arsed or when i'm busy thats fair enough. As for kids, why we bringing them into it, its us loosing weight, not our children, by changing our eating habits and becoming healthier yes we are setting a good example. My son has a mix of the healthy and the not so healthy(not so healthy in moderation) though when he gets older and goes off with his friends, i cant be looking over his shoulder can i now.

PERSONALLY, I wouldn't mind if SW made the odd ready meal... *stands silently waiting for a sharp intake of breath*... ;)

Usually, I make my meals from scratch but occasionally use pre-processed food as either a time saver or because they give me something that I can't achieve any other way..

eg. Tonight I made 'Cheats Tarragon Chicken' using a tin of Tesco Light Choices Chicken in White Sauce because a) I only had one chicken breast in and needed it to serve 2, b) it makes a really nice creamy sauce (it has REAL CREAM in it!!!) for only 1 syn (for the whole thing)... I know that I could have TRIED to make the same sauce with Quark but whenever I've tried using it, I always have bad results (besides, the tin keeps in the kitchen for ages, whereas I either don't have any Quark in, or it's gone off!!!)

However, I served it with plenty of veggies to keep me feeling virtuous!!!

Occasionally, if I'm coming home later than my husband, he'll offer to cook... and bless him he tries... but sometimes it would be easier to just 'prick and ping', rather than have him cooking!!!!

Also, as I usually do red days (and have to make meals for two), I sometimes feel guilty about my husband not really eating any rice or pasta (he does it to 'keep me company and not be a bother!!' - I told you he was wonderful!! :D ) and a 'ready meal' that we could both eat would be handy (I'm really greedy when it comes to carbs, but they don't suit me and I have no impulse/portion control when it comes to green/EE days)

However, I don't see them becoming a daily thing.... probably more of a once a week or occasional treat... I quite like cooking from scratch... probably because I'm a control freak, rather than for any health reasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back