Slimming World newbie - losing for the wedding day

Hey.... just joined this today and have started following your thread! I too have my wedding next year...mine is june and i have 1.5_2 stone to lose. Havent been great at sw lately despite bein a member since April. I keep hoping my attitude will change and i will focus and give it my all but im still waiting for that day ....

Hey.... just joined this today and have started following your thread! I too have my wedding next year...mine is june and i have 1.5_2 stone to lose. Havent been great at sw lately despite bein a member since April. I keep hoping my attitude will change and i will focus and give it my all but im still waiting for that day ....

Sometimes it is hard to get in the zone. I spent most of this year telling myself I would lose weight for the wedding but kept putting it off. Then I joined the local SW group and so far it is keeping me in the zone. Do you attend groups?

We can do this! We can help each other. Do you have your dress yet?

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the reply, would love to be able to help each other! Esp when we have the same goal and same time frame practically!

I bought my dress a couple of weeks ago, or atleast ordered it, and i was dissapointed with the bigger size I had to order, but I was advised by the shop owner that its best to keep it this size and take it in in 6 months when the dress arrives rather than order in a smaller size incase it doesnt fit! :O Do you have your dress?

As for group, i do stay for the image therapy, my problem so far is the whole i follow the plan about 60% of the time id say, i tend to take relaxed attitude when it suits me, which is happening a bit too often if im honest :( so im hoping this will be another way to keep me focused

Hey, thanks for the reply, would love to be able to help each other! Esp when we have the same goal and same time frame practically!

I bought my dress a couple of weeks ago, or atleast ordered it, and i was dissapointed with the bigger size I had to order, but I was advised by the shop owner that its best to keep it this size and take it in in 6 months when the dress arrives rather than order in a smaller size incase it doesnt fit! :O Do you have your dress?

As for group, i do stay for the image therapy, my problem so far is the whole i follow the plan about 60% of the time id say, i tend to take relaxed attitude when it suits me, which is happening a bit too often if im honest :( so im hoping this will be another way to keep me focused

I also bought my dress in september. It was also a bigger size - and 1 size bigger than what I am in high street, but the shop owner also reassured me that wedding dress sizes are always bigger than high street, and that they can take it in nearer the time as well. She said for every stone you lose, it is usually a dress size dropped. So I have used that as motivation. 2 stone would be amazing to lose, and 3 would be even better. I am currently a high street size 16.

It is hard to stick to everything 100%, however if you do it always means a loss I find. Hopefully the motivation for wedding day will boost us, especially when January comes round and the wedding seems a lot closer. Where are you getting married?

Had a small victory this morning. I weighed myself on the bathroom scales and I was under 13 stone and into the 12 stone bracket. 12 stone 13.6lbs to be precise.

Although I still have the weekend to go, and these scales are probably different to the ones at group, it did make me smile this morning. Especially as my home scales said 4 lbs heavier on Monday morning this week.

So the weekend wasn't too much of a disaster. On friday night I went out with friends to dinner and a concert, and I ate beforehand as the food was all fried and chips and burgers etc, and also didn't drink at all! Was well proud of myself.

Saturday I went round my friend's for a firework and drinks party, she made chilli con carne with jacket potatoes, I made my own quorn chilli to bring (I am veggie) and asked for a potato with no oil on. Food wise, I was really good, it was just the drink. I had a lot of vodka and diet lemonade, and a lovely hangover on Sunday to show for it.

I am hoping it hasn't effected things too badly for today's weigh in, just really want my half a stone certificate now!

Will update after weigh in tonight. Fingers crossed.

Another 1.5lbs down. Got my half stone award which is nice. I'm a bit annoyed it wasn't more but as I keep saying, if I do 1.5lbs every week I will have lost over a stone by xmas.

Target of 1.5lbs for next week too! Week ahead is looking clear but the weekend my sister is coming to stay. Will eat well and do my usual not drinking on Friday but drink on Saturday like I've done the last few weeks. I will also cook so will have control over my food. The old me would have drank both nights, eaten takeaways and junk food on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I'm pleased I'm breaking some old habits and still maintaining a social life....and still losing weight!

I've made a couple of recipes from the slimming world comfort food book I received when I joined, the smoked haddock kedgeree was amazing. I only eat fish, not meat so it is a bit limited. Anyone else cooked anything from the books and recommend anything?

Happy to share recipes.

This week feels like a slog.

I did 5.5 miles walking again last night, have eaten on plan all week with around 5 syns a day. Don't know whether it is the change in weather, but I feel so tired and low energy and need to feel inspired. Also I weighed myself this morning (Thursday) and doesn't look like I have lost weight this week. Eek. Note to self: ignore scales and stop weighing yourself before weigh in....

This weekend I have my sister and her new bf coming to stay. I am cooking fajitas tomorrow night, however doing slimming world friendly ones (mine will have quorn chicken) and no wraps for me, just the fillings, and no alcohol for me, despite my OH, and sister and bf drinking. I have done it the last 2 friday's so I can do it tomorrow.

The Saturday (as usual) will be tougher (day 2 with sister). I have planned to cook a slimming world fried breakfast, and then we are heading off for a walk and to Broadway market (it is a foodie market in London). I will have to again resist all the yummy food, including some of the best mac and cheese in the world. FML.

Then the evening we are going for dinner and drinks at local pubs (plural as it always ends in a pub crawl). I have already looked at the menu and there is a salmon and veg option which is good. I plan to have vodka again when we are at the pubs, but HELP - I am so bored of vodka and I can't waste syns on beer and wine. Any suggestions? Also, I always have the wonderful intentions of having 3/4 drinks but end up having ridic amounts....just can't seem to stop when I am around others that are drinking. I feel like I need an alarm when I have reached that tipping point or a big wet fish slap in the face...to just STOP.

Thanks Jenny.

I have weigh in tonight. Not feeling too confident as drank wine on saturday. Still managed to avoid eating anything bad but was so sick of vodka I had wine with my dinner and at the pub.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks Jenny.

I have weigh in tonight. Not feeling too confident as drank wine on saturday. Still managed to avoid eating anything bad but was so sick of vodka I had wine with my dinner and at the pub.

Fingers crossed!

fingers crossed you get a loss. we cant follow plan 100% of the time. I cant handle vodka anymore :(

good luck x x

I also bought my dress in september. It was also a bigger size - and 1 size bigger than what I am in high street, but the shop owner also reassured me that wedding dress sizes are always bigger than high street, and that they can take it in nearer the time as well. She said for every stone you lose, it is usually a dress size dropped. So I have used that as motivation. 2 stone would be amazing to lose, and 3 would be even better. I am currently a high street size 16.

It is hard to stick to everything 100%, however if you do it always means a loss I find. Hopefully the motivation for wedding day will boost us, especially when January comes round and the wedding seems a lot closer. Where are you getting married?

Hey.... sorry im so long in replying...been a busy and mostly off plan week for me

Hope you're doin well. You are so good at keeping honest and posting all. Im enjoyin reading ur updates!

My wedding is in Northern Ireland. Where is urs? Im really praying January kicks my butt into gear. Was down 1.5 last week but i reckon ive regained it and then some with my antics last week. Weigh in is Tuesday for me x

Another 1.5lbs down in weigh in today. 8.5lbs altogether in 4 weeks.

I have one more weekend ahead which may be difficult as it is my friend's birthday and we are going to the football and it is a big derby game, along with drinks and lunch after. (We are arsenal season ticket holders).

After this weekend I have 3 clear weekends where I have scheduled in long walks for my powerwalking Marathon training and will be staying off the booze.

The fact I have had 3 weekends of big social events and one more ahead and I have still lost 8.5lbs is actually making me happy. I would have normally have gained weight in this time and written it off as a "busy" period. If I can lose another 1.5lbs, it will be 10lbs in total in this "busy" period.

Bring it on!

Hey.... sorry im so long in replying...been a busy and mostly off plan week for me

Hope you're doin well. You are so good at keeping honest and posting all. Im enjoyin reading ur updates!

My wedding is in Northern Ireland. Where is urs? Im really praying January kicks my butt into gear. Was down 1.5 last week but i reckon ive regained it and then some with my antics last week. Weigh in is Tuesday for me x

Mine is in derbyshire, even though I live in London. My OH family are from there.

I have to be honest as I've lied to myself too much in the past about why I've put on weight haha. Glad it helps though.

There are 5 more "weigh ins" before Xmas so I'm sure you can get a good loss before then and be ahead of yourself before January even starts. :)

Last edited:
Was meant to do 5.5 mile walk home again last night. Walked 3 and jumped on the tube because I was effing starving. I get so hangry like a monster when like this, so wanted to save the fiancee the pain of my rage and rush the rest of the way home.

I keep wishing the weeks away at the moment, wishing it was nearly xmas and I was past my stone marker. I also keep working out when I can get to my interim targets of 12 stone and 11 stone, and thinking it ages away. Must just take each week as it comes and realise there will be ups and downs and just enjoy the journey.

I also ordered one of those blood test kits which you do at home and send off, and then they tell you your overall health results like cholesterol, liver function, B12 and folate etc I am interested to see how it is, and they give you tips on how to improve things, and then test it again in 6 months to see how healthy eating and exercise has improved things.

its so easy to wish the weeks away imaging what weight you'll be etc. I try not to do it anymore but its difficult when you want something so much. 12s will hopefully be a goal reached on Monday and then I guess just try and take each weigh in as it comes.

how long have you got left until your wedding? can you believe that I planned my wedding in 3 weeks. the day I got married, I'd only known my husband for 11 weeks. seems really crazy when I think about it. celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary in January :) x x

its so easy to wish the weeks away imaging what weight you'll be etc. I try not to do it anymore but its difficult when you want something so much. 12s will hopefully be a goal reached on Monday and then I guess just try and take each weigh in as it comes.

how long have you got left until your wedding? can you believe that I planned my wedding in 3 weeks. the day I got married, I'd only known my husband for 11 weeks. seems really crazy when I think about it. celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary in January :) x x

Thanks Jenny, you are right. One week at a time, it is a marathon not a sprint.

I have 9 months left, so plenty of time. I would like to be 11 stone by my wedding (so 2 stone to lose), and then carry on after for the extra stone. It would be great to be 11 stone by June time so that when I have my dress fitting then I will be what I want and then can maintain.

Wow - 11 weeks is crazy, feels like we have so much to do. I work in the wedding industry so luckily I am pretty organised, but hats off to you for doing it in 3 weeks and congrats on your 10 years. It shows marriage and wedding day is about marrying the love of your life rather than competing to have the most glamorous day! I'm looking forward to my honeymoon more weirdly haha, 2 weeks in the seychelles 2 days after we get married. Want to look good in a bikini then, rather than a beached whale!

Back