Slow cooker - joint suggestions!

Maximus

Gold Member
RIght, something for the weekend required.

I have a couple of small joints to use up.

Not used my slow cooker so how best to try for first time I have a small 425g joint of silverside beef, and a larger 800g roast gammon joint (unsmoked).

Ideas for a first attempt - any recommendations of doing the diet coke thing? - if so, how much do I add?

What about vegetables? - stock etc? - I know the principals, but what about specifics - i.e. how much. Some people say just "throw it all in" but there surely has to be a little more to it than that?

I've tried googling, but just get more confused (too many options). Looking for straightforward, no-nonsense recipés and methods before it goes back in the cupboard with the sodastream and all other unused gadgets;)

Cheers

Steve

you definately need to do gammon and diet coke. i just chop the big layer of fat off the top, bung it in the slow cooker, fill up about 3/4 of the way up the side of the joint with the coke, turn it on and leave it for 8 hours or so. could not be easier!

Must try the diet coke gammon I have been meaning to do it for literally years!

Sorry I can't help with the beef joint maximus, I do know a whole chicken resting on 3 tin foil balls (6-8 hours on low) is amazing though!

Have fun :)

I did the roast beef - a girl at work recommended doing it solo, but I added carrots, leek, swede & mushrooms as it's a long time to wait. - I was amazed how the whole think cooked in the moisture of the beef and the vegetables own moisture so no need to add anything. - very tasty it was too!

I thought it was fantastic, but a little too soft for me. I like roast beef carved, this was more like pulled pork - very succulent!

Debating whether to do gammon on its own or with the diet coke. I think I'll just do it on its own - that's tomorrows evening meal sorted then!

Next up will be lamb and chicken then pork - cooking joints is one thing, but I need to get at the traditional dishes such as stews, soups, curries etc.

you definately need to do gammon and diet coke. i just chop the big layer of fat off the top, bung it in the slow cooker, fill up about 3/4 of the way up the side of the joint with the coke, turn it on and leave it for 8 hours or so. could not be easier!

Ok, silly question time.

What do you then do with said cooked joint? (eat it of course, but with what?)

Not a gammon lover! - it is ok in the carvery, but a joint of it wasn't my favourite. It might actually be better when cooled.

Fortunately, I had some slices of roast beef as a substitute:cool:

I did the spuds, & parsnips in the actifry this time rather than in the pot.

S

If the gammon joint is small then it's easier to cook in a saucepan, it will save on the coke! Cooking time=weigh it first and work on 20mins to the Pound + 20mins.
place joint in pan, or slow cooker and I cover it with diet coke, top up when the level goes down, lovely on sandwiches, salads, in a "big breakfast" etc......

Attachments

• Diet Bacon-3.JPG
    Diet Bacon-3.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 403
  • Diet Coke Bacon-1.JPG
    Diet Coke Bacon-1.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,474
  • Diet Coke Bacon-2.JPG
    Diet Coke Bacon-2.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 885
  • Finished bacon (Large).JPG
    Finished bacon (Large).JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 502
I did the gammon in cherry coke last week in the slow cooked and added some chinese 5 spice. It was gorgeous tasted like BBQ! x

In relation to the poster who had the issue with the beef when carving, I always bung my beef in the oven for 10 mins before carving it goes nice and crispy but you still have the wonderful tenderness given from the Slow Cooker.

I sit mine on Onions and carrots sliced length ways and add about a pint of stock.

This makes a wonderful gravy at the end when blizted.

I do this with Beef and Chicken personally when I do it with a whole chicken the stock is amazing and I really dont think it can be beaten for flavor

I do gammon in mine with nothing added then use it to make broth.

Am defo going to try beef on the vegetables with stock - sounds delish

Has anyone else tried their gammon in cherry coke (im guessing you can get a diet version?) I am dying to try cooking gammon in d.coke as my BFs gran make the bestttttttttt joint and want to try and surprise him. Are the joint expensive and can i just get them from tesco? xx

Has anyone else tried their gammon in cherry coke (im guessing you can get a diet version?) I am dying to try cooking gammon in d.coke as my BFs gran make the bestttttttttt joint and want to try and surprise him. Are the joint expensive and can i just get them from tesco? xx

you can get a small gammon for about £4 in Tesco :D I haven't tried it in coke but I am sure you can get diet cherry coke now :D

Justto bring this up to date a little, I couldn't get away with the gammon. I thought it would be fine done in the slow cooker - my workmates were ever so grateful and assure me it was perfect:cool: - just not for me.

Beef, lamb and chicken worked superbly well though. Still not tried the pork.

My joint experiments will now be curtailed in favour of stews & casseroles as filling winter warmers.

I do mine in cherry coke with a bit of chinese 5 spice - tastes amazing!

Back