.. SLOW COOKER RECIPES ..

Got this in me slow cooker right now .....

Ham & Lentil soup

190g dried lentils
250g chopped carrots & swede
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
180g gammon cubed
2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
400ml chicken oxo
250ml water
4 dessertspoons passata

bung it all in yer slow cooker and cook on low for 11 hours or high for 6 hours ......

Ile tell u if its nice laters when i eat with some yummy bread ;)

What kind of gammon did you use? Is it just one chicken oxo cube made up with 400ml water? Do you point stock cubes? ( sorry for all the questions)
It sounds yummy, think ill make that tomorrow my whole family would like that xx

What kind of gammon did you use? Is it just one chicken oxo cube made up with 400ml water? Do you point stock cubes? ( sorry for all the questions)
It sounds yummy, think ill make that tomorrow my whole family would like that xx

Well, ive just used one of those round ones you would normally have with a meal .... (mines tesco value for £1) and i used 2 oxo ... i think as your splitting your soup you wouldnt have to point oxo .... im sure its somethin like 2 cubes for 1pp (anyone know the points?)

xxxx ps, ask away xx

Yeah you can use that too .... the original recipe said ham but im on simply filling so ive used the gammon, so its entirely up to you what kind of ham/pork ... etc you use :D:D

To check in .... The soup was deliiiiiish, I had 2 bowls tonight..... My fella loved it too :) xxxxxx

Got this in me slow cooker right now .....

Ham & Lentil soup

190g dried lentils
250g chopped carrots & swede
1 chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
180g gammon cubed
2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
400ml chicken oxo
250ml water
4 dessertspoons passata

bung it all in yer slow cooker and cook on low for 11 hours or high for 6 hours ......

Ile tell u if its nice laters when i eat with some yummy bread ;)

that sounds gorgeous!! thanks.

I've got a chilli in the slow cooker for tonight - turkey mince again because it's lower points (I add marmite and beef stock to make it meatier)but tbh I don't think you can tell much difference anyway)

I managed to hunt down some of the schwartz slow cooker mixes this weekend and i'm excited for sausage and bean casserole this week!

This cold weather is awful but it's a great excuse for some yummy comfort food :)

Chicken stew for tea tonight ..... Made using a recipe I posted at the beginning nooooommmmmmm xxxxxx

Sarah1989 said:
I've got a chilli in the slow cooker for tonight - turkey mince again because it's lower points (I add marmite and beef stock to make it meatier)but tbh I don't think you can tell much difference anyway)

I managed to hunt down some of the schwartz slow cooker mixes this weekend and i'm excited for sausage and bean casserole this week!

This cold weather is awful but it's a great excuse for some yummy comfort food :)

Thats a cracking idea ... Never thought of using marmite xxxxxx

Ive had the chicken curry and chicken provencal slow cooker packet mixes from schwartz and they both are totally yummy and roughly about 4 pp for the whole packet - can highly recommend them

cyprusbride said:
Hi Claire. Going to make ham and lentil soup. Is it 250g of carrot and 250g of turnip or 250g made up of a mixture?

Thanks x

I got a bag of mixed carrot and swede from asda for 50 p xxxxxxx

Just thought I'd chip in.. The packets of slow cooker mixes were half price in tesco last Wk when I went in there. Also my mum makes a delish porridge. She puts in some sweetener, apple, raisins and cinnamon! Or mixed berries (you can use the frozen ones). Cook overnight and it's all ready when she gets up for work

Gemmaloulou said:
Just thought I'd chip in.. The packets of slow cooker mixes were half price in tesco last Wk when I went in there. Also my mum makes a delish porridge. She puts in some sweetener, apple, raisins and cinnamon! Or mixed berries (you can use the frozen ones). Cook overnight and it's all ready when she gets up for work

Love the porridge idea =) xxxxx

Hi All, I've got a slow cooker collecting dust in the cupboard and have decided to get it out inspired by this thread. Just a couple of questions:

1) do you always have to brown off mince / cook onions before you put in slow cooker? If so can you do this night before and throw it in with all the other stuff?

2) are slow cookers safe? I'm a bit weary having an electric item switched on all day whilst I'm out of the house.

3) Id have to switch slower cooker on at 8am and if I want tea at 6pm this would mean its cooking for 10 hours which is too long for some recipes. Does anyone use an electric timer to switch the slower cooker on/off?

Hi All, I've got a slow cooker collecting dust in the cupboard and have decided to get it out inspired by this thread. Just a couple of questions:

1) do you always have to brown off mince / cook onions before you put in slow cooker? If so can you do this night before and throw it in with all the other stuff?

i sometimes do this, but sometimes i throw it in raw. The way its cooked kills of bacteria. its totally up to you.

2) are slow cookers safe? I'm a bit weary having an electric item switched on all day whilst I'm out of the house.

I just think that if they werent safe, they wouldnt be produced ... i wouldnt worry, its such a low heat its on (think its about 170 degrees )

3) Id have to switch slower cooker on at 8am and if I want tea at 6pm this would mean its cooking for 10 hours which is too long for some recipes. Does anyone use an electric timer to switch the slower cooker on/off?

I leave it this long .... you can cook stuff for up to 11 hours on the 'low' setting, itll be fine. plus you dont want it turn off at a certain point as the time its off is wen bacteria could possibly grow

Hope this helps :D

Ive just bought some lean pork mince ... any suggestions for a yummy slow cooked meal ? ;)

Back