slow exercise?

jarael

hi i have around 5 or 6 stone to lose and im finding it quite difficult to exercise. though a lot of it is due to me rather lounging on the sofa watching big brother lol, its also cus i have asthma and also joint problems. my knees sometimes dislocate and im prone to a knee problem called bakers cyst.

the asthma is controllable but i can be regular with exercise for a few days, i have a mini trampoline and a lateral thigh trainer. i usually use one or the other every day, but if my knees are playing up im unable to use. i usaully take a slow to medium walk for 40 mins -an hour every day.

swimming is difficult as my knees loosen in the water and often dislocate whilst im swimming so i have given that up.

is dancing around with the kids or to some music a form of exercise? on the days my knees playing up will this still burn calories.

i have read online that unless u are moving fast and swaeating that u wont be losign weight.

but i think that as long as im not sitting still on my bum it all counts.

also wat other forms of low impact exercise have users used to help them lose weight,
thanks

i usaully take a slow to medium walk for 40 mins -an hour every day.

Thats still really good :D
Umm I Do Excerise Ball Things.. But I Have A Treadmil So I Work On That..(when i can be bothered lol)
But I Only do bout 30 mins.. depending how i feel.
Oh and skipping is a good one too.
I have also brought an AB King.. and your meant to do that 3 mins a day. AND I can feel abs underneath my flab.. lol

as long as you can do 10,000 steps in a day thats good going!!!

you dont need to be sweating....you only need to raise your heart rate for 20 mins a day....that can be brisk walking/dancin with the kids or jumpin on the cat as long as your not on your backside lol you can run around like this >>>:bliss:

lol

Thats still really good :D
Umm I Do Excerise Ball Things.. But I Have A Treadmil So I Work On That..(when i can be bothered lol)
But I Only do bout 30 mins.. depending how i feel.
Oh and skipping is a good one too.
I have also brought an AB King.. and your meant to do that 3 mins a day. AND I can feel abs underneath my flab.. lol

id love an ab machine but im terrible for buying fitness dvds and gadgets and only spending ten mins on them then losing them somewhere in the house lol.

i have a skipping rope but knees play up :(

as long as you can do 10,000 steps in a day thats good going!!!

you dont need to be sweating....you only need to raise your heart rate for 20 mins a day....that can be brisk walking/dancin with the kids or jumpin on the cat as long as your not on your backside lol you can run around like this >>>:bliss:

lol

hehe nice one, glad i dont have to be breaking my neck lol, i like the smily lol but id rather be moving like:break_diet: lol

Any movement more than your usual movement could be classed as exercise so don't worry that you're not doing 'formal' exercise. As you lose more weight it will get easier. I've lost 2 1/2 stone without doing any proper exercise. I have arthritis in my feet and a dodgy back but I'm hoping to start swimming if I can get the confidence up to be seen in a swimming costume!

Any movement more than your usual movement could be classed as exercise so don't worry that you're not doing 'formal' exercise. As you lose more weight it will get easier. I've lost 2 1/2 stone without doing any proper exercise. I have arthritis in my feet and a dodgy back but I'm hoping to start swimming if I can get the confidence up to be seen in a swimming costume!

thanks, its good to know i can do slow exercise and still lose weight. but honestly, if i dont do proper aerobic exercise, will i end up with saggy skin? i got 5 or 6 stones to lose.

I say this to everyone, but how about cycling?

I walk the dog for 1 1/2 to 2 miles a day but that is usually the total of 2 walks. I vary the speed when I am bored. Because I am big I always sweat a lot however slow.

I say this to everyone, but how about cycling?

im traffic phobic lol and also single mum to two girls aged 8 and 4, neither can ride lol.

i did have a exercise bike and it wasnt too good on my kneees, my lateral thigh trainer is great when i can be bothered to get on it lol

I walk the dog for 1 1/2 to 2 miles a day but that is usually the total of 2 walks. I vary the speed when I am bored. Because I am big I always sweat a lot however slow.

sweatin is a big problem for me too, i have to change clothes like 3 times a day. doc says it cus im so overweight but surely it cant just be that.

i only have to walk for ten mins at a slow pace and im dripping everywhere.

i know if i didnt sweat so much id walk a lot faster or maybe do spurts of gentle joggin with the kids but ill end up looking like a drowned rat at the end of it lol.
wat dog do u have? my dad used to have a collie cross with lurchur, lovely dog but would sulk unless he was out walking and chasing sheep lol

I got a puppy 3 months ago and I take him for walks, nothing brisk or fast (I also suffer knee dislocations despite having corrective surgery on both) and I don't break a sweat - but I have lost 5lbs. I hadn't changed anything about my diet whatsoever, either; well, until now, I am wanting to see more weight drop off ;). Movement counts, it all adds up.

I got a puppy 3 months ago and I take him for walks, nothing brisk or fast (I also suffer knee dislocations despite having corrective surgery on both) and I don't break a sweat - but I have lost 5lbs. I hadn't changed anything about my diet whatsoever, either; well, until now, I am wanting to see more weight drop off ;). Movement counts, it all adds up.

nice one, id love a puppy but cant afford, sorry to here about u knees, did they say whats wrong with them?
basically my exercise regim depends on how my knees are actin on the day. sometimes they fine and other times i feel like something gonna pop out of place when i move them its like i can feel them moving about when im walking. slow walking is ok on them though glad to hear i can still lose weight that way

nice one, id love a puppy but cant afford, sorry to here about u knees, did they say whats wrong with them?
basically my exercise regim depends on how my knees are actin on the day. sometimes they fine and other times i feel like something gonna pop out of place when i move them its like i can feel them moving about when im walking. slow walking is ok on them though glad to hear i can still lose weight that way

My knees were passed down to me, both my mother and my father suffer from knee dislocations, my grandfather on my father’s side and his brother also suffer knee problems. It’s genes, but I doubt that being overweight as long as I have been overweight has improved my chances of not suffering dislocations.

I feel for you, I really do. It is horrible to just know that today your knee is going to hinder you. Does your knee seem to hurt/ache more when it is colder? According to food focus, at my weight/height (211lbs/5’9”) I burn 74 calories per 30 minutes of walking slowly. It sounds on the high side to me, but well, I like to have a rough number to work with :)

Best of luck!

Last edited:
My knees were passed down to me, both my mother and my father suffer from knee dislocations, my grandfather on my father’s side and his brother also suffer knee problems. It’s genes, but I doubt that being overweight as long as I have been overweight has improved my chances of not suffering dislocations.

I feel for you, I really do. It is horrible to just know that today your knee is going to hinder you. Does your knee seem to hurt/ache more when it is colder? According to food focus, at my weight/height (211lbs/5’9”) I burn 74 calories per 30 minutes of walking slowly. It sounds on the high side to me, but well, I like to have a rough number to work with :)

Best of luck!

i have noticed a change when colder wether but most days they are fine until i bend it in such a way it doesnt like, then i have to move them quickly before the bone pops out.

first started to happen when i was 15, i just lifted my leg up on the pe bench at school and out it popped. never know pain like it.

how people can put the bone back in place ill never know, i dotn cope with pain well lol.

the next time it happened was walking upstairs at home, noone was in so i was stuck in the same postion for 3 hrs until my step dad came home. quite funny looking back on it now.

all he did was bang it hard back into place, docs reckon that could have damaged it.

i also had something called bakers cyst, have u heard of it?

something about fluid building up behind the knee then bursting causing immense pain.

for me this was worse then dislocations.

is there any vitamins or creams etc u take that makes things better?

Have you talked to your doctor about having surgery to correct your knee problems? It sounds a lot like what I went through (the knee just deciding its time to slip out - when you are walking or whatever) for years. I think that it is bad that your dad banged the knee hard to drive it back into place - the best way of fixing it that I know of is to simply align your leg so that it's straight, have someone holding your ancle steady and to gently straighten your leg and it just slides back into place. It hurts during, but after it feels so much better than being dislocated. I haven't had a dislocation now in quite a while, thankfully, though I still have a lot of joint pain.

I am not sure what bakers cyst is, you may want to try googling it if you want information on it. As far as I know, fluid building in the knee can only be drained off by a doctor. For vitamins I would say just make sure you are getting enough calcium and take a multivitamin every day. Joint pain is actually made worse by vitamin deficiency according to what I have read.

hi the bakers cyst is fluid behind the knee and apparently it bursts for watever reason.

im finding it hard with calcuim as newly dairy allergic.

used to be a big cheese, yoghurt and milk person. so still adjusting.

last time i went to docs about my knee they sent me to pshyiopherapist, lol exuse my spelling.

they then wanted me to get my knee into a position so it would dislocate so he could see what was happening.

probably might have helped but i refused and left and never went back again.

i dunno about anyone else but im not prave enough to put myself in pain on purpose lol.

i have not had a dislocation since i was 16 and i just avoid bending the knee too much, no bending down on my knees etc.

sometimes i can feel it about to go and i have to quickly move. both knees are dodgy.

i think if it gets worse ill go back to the doctors

Are you able to take a calcium suppliment? I am big on suppliments as I want to make absolutely certain that I have my arse covered. I am a dairy fan, especially cheese (such a naughty pleasure). Sorry you are allergic, did that just develop or is it something you just recently found out about?

I can understand not wanting to have your knee popped out just to see what is going on, that sounds rather painful. I can't imagine a doctor actually telling you to dislocate your knees, yeouch. I would cry, I am sure.

never thought about calcium supplements, il lgive it a go.

well i have been ill for years now and finding it hardto lose weight.

suffered from bad asthma, itching, bowel problems, bloating, nasuea, light headedness,
food cravings, slight rashes, migraines, bad dizziness,low mood etc, loads more symptoms but ill be here all day lol
was suffering from all that almost everyday.

docs kept telling me it was either cus i was too overweight, panic attacks or irritable bowel syndrome.

i knew if defo wasnt panic attacks so took the fybogel he prescribed for the ibs, but it didnt help.

then my symptoms started getting a little worse. i would go up up a dress sizes every evening with bloating in my stomach, and the scales would say i was up to 9 pounds heavier then i had been that morning.

developed slight itchy ness of the tongue and throat and a lot of sore throats.and flu like symptoms that would be there one day and completely gone the next.

docs kept saying it was the flu or tonsilitos.

then a mate told me she thought i was allergic to something i was eating so i asked doc for allergy test but he would nto do one. refused literally to refer me to anyone and told me i just needed to lose weight.

even the asthma nurse thought my worsening asthma might be down to what i was eating.

so in the end a good friend of mines paid for a test for me. its vega method test which docs dont approve of cus its like a alternative method therapy and apparebtly not 100 per cent accurate.

well the test found me to be allergic to dairy, lactose intolerant, pineapple and coke, didnt know wat but i have boiled it down to caffiene.

i went back to the docs with this info and he almost laughed in my face and would not take it seriously, i then looked up on the web about this vega testin and does not have a good reputation.

but since giving up the stuff on that list i am symptom free of even the asthma unless i relapse and it it, then symptoms return, so i knw the test was accurate for me.

then a month or two after the test i started feeling ill again, same symptoms as before after eating some dairy free cakes.

i got home and reread to make sure there was nno milk in them and there wasnt.

a few days ago i was very ill and had to go to hospital with my asthma. i had an hr before ate some almonds.

i experimented withmyself which i knew was dangerous but the docs were not gonna help. i ate almonds every few days and was ill every time, once my tongue started to swell so i booked in for a allergy retest didnt mention anything to her about new symptoms as i wanted to see how accurate this test was.

i told heri wanted to know if maybe i would be able to tolerate any dairy now i had been avoiding it.

there on the test, almonds came up as strongly allergic.

so for me i know the test is accurate.

and i have been fine now as long as i avoid the stuff.

oh my god sorry for goin on and on and on and on. u asked a simple question and i have given u half a life story, sorry lol.

I had a similar reaction (swelling of the tongue and break outs on my skin) with regards to shell fish and some other types of fish. I don't eat fish anymore so I started taking fish oil along with my calcium and multivitamin. I just want to make sure I am getting enough of everything. With all your food allergies it might be wise for you to research which multivitamin would be best to suppliment your eating habbits. I know it's healthier to get everything through your food, but with the amount of food you are allergic to, I can imagine it would be very tough to do so.

Is there any way you could switch doctors? That one doesn't sound like they have a very good bedside manner and your doctor should always listen to your symptoms and try to help you.

Last edited:
Back