slow exercise?

yes i should change my doc really, just scared that the new doc would be just as bad with the allergy discusiion.

did u have ur food allergies diagnosed by doc?

thanks im gonna pick up some calcium and fish oil tabelets tomorrow

Yes, medically tested; my doctor isn't the best, but her student assistants really pull through for patients. It was pretty easy to see there was something really wrong. I can eat tuna from the can and some fish (I was given a list of "safe" fish), but I don't really like fish so it wasn't a big deal for me to cut it out of my diet. I can't imagine having to cut out dairy, too much there to say goodbye to ... and caffeine? Oh my gosh, theres an addiction and a half! I am so sorry you have to fight with your food allergies :(

hi i have around 5 or 6 stone to lose and im finding it quite difficult to exercise. though a lot of it is due to me rather lounging on the sofa watching big brother lol, its also cus i have asthma and also joint problems. my knees sometimes dislocate and im prone to a knee problem called bakers cyst.

the asthma is controllable but i can be regular with exercise for a few days, i have a mini trampoline and a lateral thigh trainer. i usually use one or the other every day, but if my knees are playing up im unable to use. i usaully take a slow to medium walk for 40 mins -an hour every day.

swimming is difficult as my knees loosen in the water and often dislocate whilst im swimming so i have given that up.

is dancing around with the kids or to some music a form of exercise? on the days my knees playing up will this still burn calories.

i have read online that unless u are moving fast and swaeating that u wont be losign weight.

but i think that as long as im not sitting still on my bum it all counts.

also wat other forms of low impact exercise have users used to help them lose weight,
thanks

I've worked in this sort of area for 6 years.

You don't need to be moving as fast or sweating as much as you think to be losing weight.

If you can walk, then carry on walking.

Basically, you need to be slightly out of breath, but not VERY out of breath. The way to test this is to do the talk test. You should be able to say your address out loud, and you should be a bit out of breath on the 3 last letters of your postcode. You also need to keep going for at least 30 minutes, longer if you can.

But, if you can't walk that fast because of your knees, then it doesn't really matter. You will still be getting gradually stronger, and your body will eventually allow you to do it.

You asked about dancing around with the kids. As long as you can keep going, continuously, for at least 30 minutes, without a break, and you are getting out of breath, it doesn't matter what you do. Your body doesn't know the difference. Your brain DOES know the difference though, so you would be better off finding something you enjoy and will be doing more regularly.

Yes, medically tested; my doctor isn't the best, but her student assistants really pull through for patients. It was pretty easy to see there was something really wrong. I can eat tuna from the can and some fish (I was given a list of "safe" fish), but I don't really like fish so it wasn't a big deal for me to cut it out of my diet. I can't imagine having to cut out dairy, too much there to say goodbye to ... and caffeine? Oh my gosh, theres an addiction and a half! I am so sorry you have to fight with your food allergies :(

im fine with the other foods mostof the time its just the dairy. i crave it constantly and i resist it easily when im happy and in a good mood. cus im feeling good i dont want to eat it as i know it will make me ill.
but when im depressed or stressed its like i dont care and eat it anyway.

i really have to stop, i really dont know how.

maybe a big weight gain on the scales this week will give me the push i need.

I've worked in this sort of area for 6 years.

You don't need to be moving as fast or sweating as much as you think to be losing weight.

If you can walk, then carry on walking.

Basically, you need to be slightly out of breath, but not VERY out of breath. The way to test this is to do the talk test. You should be able to say your address out loud, and you should be a bit out of breath on the 3 last letters of your postcode. You also need to keep going for at least 30 minutes, longer if you can.

But, if you can't walk that fast because of your knees, then it doesn't really matter. You will still be getting gradually stronger, and your body will eventually allow you to do it.

You asked about dancing around with the kids. As long as you can keep going, continuously, for at least 30 minutes, without a break, and you are getting out of breath, it doesn't matter what you do. Your body doesn't know the difference. Your brain DOES know the difference though, so you would be better off finding something you enjoy and will be doing more regularly.

good advice thank u, i think i will stick to the walking with the pedometer.

so even if i do 10000 steps as slow walking, broken up throughout the day ill still lose? or is that 10000 in one walk?

throughout the day is fine
and i would say get a basic pilates dvd as very little breath needed. I have mobility issues and believe it or not yoga actually causes me pain!!! but pilates is focusing on the core and is not about all the bendiness and stretching so works for me. I would advise you to get referred back to a physio or pay to see one as they can advise you on the correct sort of exercises your body can manage. I know i cant manage 10,000 steps in one go as my body will not allow it and just isnt worth it when theres so much you can do. In relation to saggy skin etc - the slower you lose the weight the less likely you will have this problem and remeber to moisturise as much as possible to avoid this.
hope you find some form of exercise u feel comfy with
x

Spread through the day is fine, because any movement (walking slow, dancing, even rolling) is better than no movement at all - and we all start somewhere.

I started with walking my dog in the park (slow pace) and now I have begun walking faster (3mph or so) when I go to work (which, believe it or not, makes me short of breath). I am also taking the stairs (on days when my knees aren't aching, anyway ;) ) rather than using the lift. All of it adds up and you will see changes; especially if you are working on both the food and exercise in combination :)

throughout the day is fine
and i would say get a basic pilates dvd as very little breath needed. I have mobility issues and believe it or not yoga actually causes me pain!!! but pilates is focusing on the core and is not about all the bendiness and stretching so works for me. I would advise you to get referred back to a physio or pay to see one as they can advise you on the correct sort of exercises your body can manage. I know i cant manage 10,000 steps in one go as my body will not allow it and just isnt worth it when theres so much you can do. In relation to saggy skin etc - the slower you lose the weight the less likely you will have this problem and remeber to moisturise as much as possible to avoid this.
hope you find some form of exercise u feel comfy with
x

thank u, yes i think i will see ifi can get referred back to the psyhisio. prob good idea.
managing somewhere between 7000 and 8ooo steps a day.
my pedometer quite good if u walk a certain speed for over 10 mins it counts seperate aerobic steps as long as u keep on walking without to long of a break.

cost £20 though

Spread through the day is fine, because any movement (walking slow, dancing, even rolling) is better than no movement at all - and we all start somewhere.

I started with walking my dog in the park (slow pace) and now I have begun walking faster (3mph or so) when I go to work (which, believe it or not, makes me short of breath). I am also taking the stairs (on days when my knees aren't aching, anyway ;) ) rather than using the lift. All of it adds up and you will see changes; especially if you are working on both the food and exercise in combination :)

thank u, i get confused about the mph business. my pedometer is measured in km.

for instance i took a slow to medium walk this morning and did 30 mins of aerobic walking of 3000 steps. and did 7000 slow walking. over all i walked 2.97km.

what the hell is that in miles lol

I would guess so, it's a pretty slow pace.

Powerball! I got given one as a gift recently and I know it's a bit of a gimmic but they are so much fun.

You hold it in your hand and the gyroscope (is that what it's called) spins faster as you rotate your wrist. It's so addictive seeing how fast/long you can keep it going for.

~ Lisa :)

ok wow, does it really help u lose weight though?

if youre managing 7000 steps then thats great as i know too well how limited the back can make us at times. Dont give up
hugs
x

if youre managing 7000 steps then thats great as i know too well how limited the back can make us at times. Dont give up
hugs
x

i managed over 8000 the other day, im waiting for a nice day so i can go for a long walk.

tell me if i walk 20000 steps in one day instead of two does it have the same effect?

or does it have to be 10000 every single day? its a hell of a lot to be doin every day.

Back