Slow progress

Hi folks
I started on xenical on the 3rd of May and so far have only lost 12 pounds, I know that is nearly a stone but i suppose i was thinking that xenical was some miracle pill and i would suddenly be a size 12 overnight!!!! I have been sticking to a low fat diet and doing an hour on the wii (ea active) 5 times a week. I had a hysterectomy in Dec and my gall bladder out in March and am now on HRT, dont know if this is affecting my weight loss or not. Am I unrealistic for thinkin that my weight loss should be a bit quicker than this? Tips on what peeps are eating would be most appreciated.
Jen

Ive had a very slow start too, bit disappointed, ive been good diet wise and i excercise 4 times a week. Since April ive lost 7lb which in reality i could do myself without the pills.....any help anyone?

I'm not entirely sure what the tabs would do in regards to your weights so I can't comment on that... with your exercise do you do the same thing each time.. maybe its time to step it up or change what you do. Get a different Wii game...
Just a suggestion..

Have a look through the diaries.. there are some good food ones about.. and some very inspiring piccies... (yes piink I'm talking about you...)

Keep posting.
Maybe you could post your food diary and people can comment on what's there.

Good Luck

Cant give up the carbs

Thanks for your replies folks. Re the wii games, have just been doing the wii ea active for 1 month, just completed the 30 day challenge, i have the fitness coach, wii fit, wii fit plus and have just got the ea active (more workouts). Have found the ea active to be the most challenging and it really makes me sweat, can also burn about 180 cals in half an hour which is good compared to the wii fit plus. My diet is consisting of oats for breakfast, usually a chicken or ham salad at lunch and pasta with a home made tomato sauce for supper. I dont know if i should be ditching the carbs altogether but i find that sooooo hard to do. Also hate sundays cause im not at work and am just sitting here thinking about food!!! Know this isnt a nice topic either but i seem to be really constipated. I had heard so much horror stories about xen and how people had to carry incontinence pads about with them and it seems to be having the opposite effect with me!! God I sound like a right moan, still sitting here in my jammies trying to get my ass in gear to do the wii!!

Hello :)
Just popping in to say welcome!
Constipation can be a big problem for a lot of people, especially when they first start taking Xenical, but it doesn't mean that you're doing anthing wrong.
Try to drink LOTS of water, I usually try to have 1-2 litres of squash each day along with tea, coffee and the occasional can of pop, and that seems to keep me regular! I also eat at least one piece of fruit each day and plenty of veg in the evenings, either with a Weight Watchers-type meal, or in a stir-fry.
You might need to take a mild laxative just to get things moving again, and then see how you go on ;)

As far as your diet is concerned, it looks pretty good to me, but it's difficult to say, without seeing the exact quanities and types of foods you're having over the course of a few days. Do you look at anything else other than fat content to control your diet? If not, have you thought about tracking your calories for a few days to see if you're having too many? MyFitnessPal is a good website that will work out exactly how many calories you need each day to lose weight according to your weight/height.
I'd never advise cutting out carbs (I would find this impossible myself) but it's easy to go overboard with things like potatoes and pasta unless you're weighing and measuring properly (I'm not suggesting this is the case with you, it's just something to consider).
Obviously, while you're taking Xenical, fat content is the main thing to keep an eye on, but it's easy to over compensate and end up having too many calories from sugar, or carbs....and then there's alcohol (not a problem on Xenical, but it can sabbotage your weight loss big-style).
Sorry, I know you've probably already thought of these things, but I know how disheartening it can be to put so much effort in and not see the results you're looking for.
Assuming you've got it sussed diet-wise, it could just be that you're one of these people who happens to lose weight at a slower pace (maybe due to medication or just bad luck). I'm sure Purple_Kathryn won't mind me saying that she's one of these types of people. She loses roughly a pound or so every week, but she's consistent, and because of this she's lost over 5 stone!
At the end of the day we will all get there if we don't give up, it just takes a little longer for some than others!

Have a good day, and keep us updated on your progress.
A x

Last edited:
Hi Alex
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply its much appreciated. Glad you advised not to cut out carbs too much, its bad enough having to give up my beloved cheese!!!! Yeah i have been calculating my cals and im only taking in about 1200 per day so think it is that im just a slow loser. Found it much easier to lose weight when I was younger (ive been a yo yo dieter all my life) so im thinking that the HRT must be having something to do with it but its stopping the hot flushes so needs must!! Have my Gp on the 23rd so will see what she says. Re the constipation when I had my hysterectomy in Dec they also had to remobiise my bowel, I had extreme endometriosis and I have to take two Fybogel a day but am still constipated. Good advise about the water though, im addicted to diet pepsi and can easily drink 6 cans per day so I will try and substitute that for squash and see if that helps. Im so glad I found this forum, yours and others weight loss diaries are truly inspiring and I am finding that they are keeping me motivated, well I havent had a snack today so thats got to be good!!!
Thanks again for the advice Alex
Jen x

Food diary

Ok think I have been quite good today
B - Oats with skimmed milk
L - half a ww pizza with salad
T - chicken stir fry
Did an hour on the wii and as I still need my late night snack think I will have a solero.
Been really quite bored today so surprised I havent been picking as when Im bored I usually just eat crap. Have pals coming round Weds night and we are having a chinese take away, I would usually have a chicken chow mein, does anyone know if this will be ok with the xen or are there any xen friendly options Could just give the pill a miss but really dont want to start going down that road.
Jen

Think ive had a good day again today
B - oats and skimmed milk
L - beans on toast (2)
T - chicken tortilla and salad
Solero for a snack and half an hour on the wii, also drinking the water so will see if that helps to improve my weight loss. Have been asked to go and manage another home as from tomorrow as their manager is off sick so a bit apprehensive about that as dont know anyone there so just hope the stress dosent = me picking at food. Hope you all had a great (and good) weekend
Jen x

im not sure on the takeaway.... maybe ask them not to cook it with oil, and see what happens.
if i know ive got something coming up i will stop it the day before (as it does stay in your system so just skipping a pill may not work) and then resume it the night after.

i hope that you are going ok....
and i also hope you see some better results... ive been a slowish (not all the time with some 3.5lbs and 4lbs losses) but on a whole its more slower than i wanted. and ive come to terms with that...

i hope that the new home hasnt resulted into naughty picking!

Hi Kes
Thanks for the reply, really shouldnt even be having a chinese tomorrow but you cant put your life on hold for a diet. Yeah been really a bit down about the slow weight loss but I suppose at least its coming off so that is the main thing. Took my own sandwich to the new home and made sure I had breakfast before I went so no - no picking! Today I had
B = oats and skimmed milk
L = ham sandwich and a peach
T = ham with a boiled egg and lots of salad
I do like salad but enjoy a hot meal for t as I think im eating something proper but getting fed up of eating the same thing all the time, any nice recipes would be appreciated folks.
J x

Jeezo, just realised im on this site for hours, i love watching the aussie biggest loser and now im watching something about fat pets!!! Im obsessed with food and thats my problem, just seen a trailer for the American biggest loser starting on Monday, I need to get a life!

my husband watched last years biggest loser, and we are just wiating for this years to air over here. (as an aussie im all up for watching aussie shows..)
so dont think you are sad!

as for recipies, there is a thread ive started.. (you may need to go a few pages into the xenical thread) its called Krystle (well mostly her hubby,s recipies)
its got some great ones in there, and im going to add and update it soon.. (ive got 2 weeks off work coming up so i should have the time to do it.)

Thanks for that Kes, im loving the biggest loser I would love the opportunity to go and do that, just not on camera! Well was good today till the girls came round with the take away and Ihad chips and curry sauce, didnt take the pill tho so havent **** myself yet but do have a pretty dodgy belly so it might happen yet!!!! Will only serve me right and has probably scuppered my chances of losing 2lbs this week for my 1st stone (unless I do **** myself!!!!) Thanks for guiding me to the recipes, hope your well
Jen x

Update

Well have had a quite good weekend, have been tracking my food intake and exercise on my fitness pal which says I am not taking in enough calories, think this is due to burning off between 200 and 400 on the wii. Have upped my fluid intake (thanks for that tip Alex) and lost 2.5lbs this week which has been more than the previous weeks to long may this continue. Due to go back to my GP on the 23rd and think she may be dissapointed that ive only lost a stone so far, hope she dosent take me off the tablets. Although I dont think they are making a huge difference to my weight loss I think psychologically they are keepin me on the straight and narrow.
Glad that Spain won the world cup, my folks stay in Spain so have an allegiance to them. Thats another thing I am going over there on the 30th for 3 weeks and although I am not worried about my diet as that will be easy to stick to I am worried about the exercise, dont think putting the wii in my case will do much for my baggage allowance!! Will just have to swim every day.
Cant wait for Americas biggest loser to start tomorrow, still watching the Aussie one, cant beleive that Cosi was voted out, just hope he wins this weeks challenge so he can get back in. Good to see the Commando putting in an appearance again, wish he was putting me through my paces!!!
Hope you have all had a good weekend
J x:p

Went food shopping with my mate yesterday and she was putting all this nice fattening stuff in the trolley( even tho she admits she is unhappy with her weight) and I was getting grumpier and grumpier as we went round, picking up every packet of somthing nice that I thought might be reasonably ok but wasnt. Then I got to the chocolate isle and stood looking at a packet of galaxy counters for what must have been a full 5 minutes!! But I resisted ...... so my question is, does anyone allow themselves a treat now and then? I know that there are treats we can have like soleros etc but sometimes only will do chocolate (and I dont mean a curly wurly).

B oats and skimmed milk
L m and s potato wedges and chilli
T m and s count on us pizza with salad
S curly wurly

Jen x

Back