Slow roasted Chinese beef

jerricebenton

Silver Member
JA047.jpg
a%3E

Slow roasted Chinese beef

Serves 2, 1.5 syns per portion on EE (and red if you omit the rice)

350g braising beef

5 spring onions, chopped

1 garlic clove, peeled & sliced

Half an inch of grated ginger

1 red chilli, sliced

1 tsp Chinese 5 spice

1 half star anise (optional)

1 tbsp brown sugar (2.5 syns)

2 tbsp rice wine vinegar

1 tbsp soy sauce

Heat the oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2. Put all the ingredients , making sure to reserve a little of the chilli and spring onion. Add 150ml water, stir well then put on a lid. Cook in the oven for 2-2 1/2 hours until the meat is meltingly tender. If you want the sauce a little thicker, scoop out the meat and boil hard for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the reserved chilli & spring onion on top to serve.

Serve with bok choi or greens and steamed rice.

Last edited:
I might try this tomorrow with pork.... Looks lovely :D

This is in my oven as we speak, 'cept with pork instead of beef and no spring onion as I didn't have any so used a normal onion.

This. Is. Lovely.

Having it just now with sticky boiled rice, and sweet and sour peppers. Beautiful.

Rice wine vinegar is free x Not sure hwo it will taste without the sugar, but its worth a go! If it still tastes great, be sure to let us know :)

the brown sugar will add a depth of sweetness that you wont get from sweetner/white sugar, its like slightly caramel in taste.

U could try it with sweetner though? It will make it sweet, just not as deep

I left it out, but have since bought some (only 99p on ebay, because none of my shops stock it!!) and I am going to make it again tomorrow :)

My Tesco didnt have any, I checked & checked!

I imagine it would be lovely done in the slow cooker!

We are having it again tonight, with noodles instead of rice.

My Tesco didnt have any, I checked & checked!

I imagine it would be lovely done in the slow cooker!

We are having it again tonight, with noodles instead of rice.

That's unusual. Schwartz sell it in one of their normal jars. Iwolnd not worry too much as Chinese 5 spice already has Star Anise in it.

Back