slow weight loss and exercise

Hey there. I am currently following slimming world at home and have lost just 3lb in 3 weeks. I know its steady loss, but I usually lose much more in the first few weeks. I am exercising, cardio [bike, cross trainer, treadmill) for over an hour every day. Could that be contributing to slow losses? I am following the plan carefully and having my third free / super free. Thanks for your advice! Michelle

hi michelle, i dont know much about it all but i started SW again 2 weeks ago and also started doing workout dvd (30 day shred by jillian michaels) 4 times per week. it prob doesnt sound a lot compared to what you are doing but i find it tough lol - in the 2 weeks i have did the workouts 8 times and lost 1lb which same as you is less than i normally would. Sat down and realised i hadnt been sticking to plan as much as i should have been though and becoming complacent so this week i am sticking to it 100% as well as doing the workouts to see if there is a difference. I dont feel any different at all for doing the workouts either. i said in a different post that i actually feel heavier/flabbier - hope we both see difference soon x

When i do lots of exercise my weight loss slows down (0.5lb a week ish) however I see a HUGE difference in my body / clothes

Maybe you could take some body measurement so you can see the good you are doing.
As for the weight loss, keep going and your weight loss will kick back in (its poss holding on to your food at moment to cover the extra energy your using which its not used to and if your new to exercise and you feel the burn in your muscles then it holds water while it heals them) but long term exercise will win out!

I never understand this as when you watch programmes like the biggest loser they do soooo much exercise and lose a stone in a week... this really confuses me as I too have slow losses when I exercise lots.

Please please please be happy for yourself - 3lb in 3 weeks is great (its not JUST 3lbs, its 3 whole big pounds !!!) and actually this is not really a slow loss in the bigger picture :)

I never understand this as when you watch programmes like the biggest loser they do soooo much exercise and lose a stone in a week... this really confuses me as I too have slow losses when I exercise lots.

Ah, but to be fair, on this series they arent loosing that well.

I found that the first couple of weeks when i started exercise my losses werent that great, but it soon evened out. This year I want to stop loosing and start toning as I'm more or less at target now

Ah, but to be fair, on this series they arent loosing that well.

I found that the first couple of weeks when i started exercise my losses werent that great, but it soon evened out. This year I want to stop loosing and start toning as I'm more or less at target now[/QUO

I find that the americans always lose way more than the uk series but i think Gillian and Bob work them harder than the UK trainers... i'd love a Gillian in my life lol x

I used exercise loads, cycled 10 miles a day 4 times a week and swam 60 lengths 2 - 3 time a week. I also had a very active job. I now live in Portugal and odn't exercise much but the weight loss is about the same. I remember watching a tv programme years ago which strangely said that exercise doesn't always help you lose weight. Whether it does or not it is good for you and makes you feel much better so keep it up ans stick to plan and you will lose weight.

The thing about exercise is that it has so may other benefits than just weight loss.

Yes, it does burn calories and it also makes you fitter, which in turn burns more calories when you aren't exercising. It has a different outcome for everyone (some slower losses, some quicker) but it will help to tone you up, lose inches and thus need smaller clothes! It also releases endorphins to make you feel good, improves your circulation (and so your skin and natural healthy glow), makes you feel more confident... what's not to like about that?!

Extreme exercise isn't really that good for you - I won't be getting into arguments about that - but regular cardiovascular exercise should do most people wonders in combination with a good diet like SW!

I have been on the plan for 3 weeks too and have only lost 2.5 pounds. I havent really exercised just usual stuff, walking, work..
im so disappointed too. Thats why im not going to class, i get so upset when i have worked so hard sticking to plan and having only 7 syns a day and most people are losing more in one week then i can lose in a month. But i will continue, may take longer but i will get there in the end. (i hope)

Dawnyo - don't be disappointed! There are people here who would love to have lost that much in 3 weeks...me included. You need to bear in mind that everyone is different. Those with more weight to lose often go more quickly. Exercise may affect results. Are you drinking water too? Eating 7 syns might not be enough - sometimes eating the full allowance of 15 per day actually helps the body to lose weight. It sounds odd but eating more can actually help!
Don't forget to measure your inches as well as your weight, because that's really motivating too.
Don't be upset...stick with it and it'll work x

Is it ever possible to tone up through exercise but not lose weight? Or will it always balance out at some point?

I don't like classes for the same reason as you Dawnyo. I find that I get very disheartened and feel a lot of pressure to lose each week when often I don't, even though I stick to plan. Keep at it from home and use the forum. 2.5 lbs off is great!!

Thankyou for all your replies. I feel so much better for exercising, just after 3 weeks I can feel my stamina increasing. I know I need to keep it all in perspective. I have around 5 stone to lose and have 6 months to get rid of as much as I can in time for my holidays. I think I just need to stop putting myself under pressure. I will measure myself too. Thanks again for the replies. Michelle

Hi

Stop putting yourself under pressure. Exercise is the way forward. I lost all my baby weight a few years ago with no exercise, got down to my prebaby weight and still couldn't fit into my normal clothes. Prebaby was spinning 5x a week. My weight was back to being the same but I was really unhappy with the shape of my body. This time round Im exercising and eating well (prob too well) and loosing half to 1lb a week, not being too strict with the diet. I just try to keep in mind this is a way of eating for life so the longer it takes for the weight to come off, the more likely it is to stay off.

Back