smear test!

thanks - feeling a bit better now. no-one ever talks about these things and when it happens you feel very alone, so thanks to everyone who's replied to this thread.

OH was cooking his dinner when i got in from work and when i told him he just hugged me. gonna go swimming in a bit with a friend and talk to her - she has had issues downstairs, so will probe her for info.

yeah, honeslty dont feel alone x i could do with talking about it too, so dont be quiet x i will be checking up on you x x hehe x take care luv x

hey - my friend had the same thing and she was fine too, bug hugs to you. Lous comment just made me realize Im going to have to have my first smear soon arent I!? Im 25 on Saturday x

Im dreading it too! aaagghh! x

Hey, I have no experience of this but didn't wanna read and run! So just to say fingers crossed that everything will be ok.

Makes me think I need to go for a smear - not had one for six years now. Not cos I've been avoiding it but was due one then got pregnant and / or breasting for the past 2 and half years! No excuses now tho.

Thinking of you. x

tee hee Vic!! Happy Birthday.... (I'm dreading it) x

I have had three or four smears now (my surgery starts at 20!!.) I can honestly say that they are really not that bad. They dont hurt and its quick (as long as you relax). Its just the indiginity of it all.

I find it very interesting that so many people say a smear is an awful thing. I avoided it til I was 25 as everyone kept saying how bad it was to have it done but when I went I wondered what all the fuss was about. It is a little weird to get your pants off for a strange lady but they are professionals and see it all the time. I didn't feel a thing and it was over with in seconds. It really wasn't a huge deal at all.

*threadjack over*

Karen, a friend of mine has had this and pretty much the same story as Victoria. Good luck for it x

don't worry bout em i just gone 25 and i have had a few louise you should have asked for one earlier though better tyo be safe than sorry my friend had cervical cancer at 24 v young and she has kids but you can never be too careful can you XXXXX and there not so bad, there not painful just a bit uncomfortable, good luck with your results i'm sure it's nothing to worry bout!

i've just had a letter from the hospital to say they've recieved the results from my recent smear test and i have borderline cell changes and i have to go for a colposcopy in a fortnight.

has anyone had one of these? i'm scared!!!:cry:

I will try to keep this reply short! I had a smear in July, received a colposcopy appointment in August before I even had my results - i was terrified! Went to see doc to ask what my results were and I had severe changes (the worst level of changes), I am quite an anxious person anyway but I thought my life was over! I couldn't stop crying about it and didn't want to tell anyone other than my bf who didn't really know what to say to me! Anyway I had the colposcopy and because I had the highest level of changes they treated it there and then - cut the cells out and sent them away for analysis. It was more embarrassing and uncomfortable than painful although it did hurt a bit. With yours being borderline they may just have a look and take a small biopsy to see the level of changes rather than remove it all, depends on the consultant at the time I think. Anyway I've gone on enough - my results came back as no c***er cells found with clear margins so they are pretty sure they got it all, check up in March. If you have any questions about the procedure just ask, it's all still clear in my mind!!! :eek: Please people go for your smears though they are not nice but could save your life! Mine 5 years ago was clear and this time highest level of changes! Essay over!

Will cross everything for you they are usually just over cautious so try not to worry too much xx

I find it very interesting that so many people say a smear is an awful thing. I avoided it til I was 25 as everyone kept saying how bad it was to have it done but when I went I wondered what all the fuss was about. It is a little weird to get your pants off for a strange lady but they are professionals and see it all the time. I didn't feel a thing and it was over with in seconds. It really wasn't a huge deal at all.

I think it depends on yourself and also the person carrying it out. I had dreadfully uncomfortable smears at my old doctor's where the nurse had a very cold manner and was quite heavy handed with the speculum and the swab - so much so that me and my friend nicknamed it having a scrape (vile I know, we were teenagers what can I say?). My new nurse however is very patient and doesn't just jack you up like a mechanic and wave the swab round like she's making candy floss, which makes all the difference and I don't dread going any more. If you're lucky enough to get a great nurse then it helps a lot.
Re the colposcopy, I really think they err on the side of caution with things like this. Best to get it checked even if it's nothing. Sure you'll be fine xx

thanks for all of your replies - i feel much better about it now :)

have to agree with you LittleBottle - it depends who's carrying out the smear. i've had them and not felt a thing and i had a few which were uncomfortable. although they weren't painful and they're over in a matter of seconds.

louise you should have asked for one earlier though better tyo be safe than sorry

you cant ask for them and just get one! I watched something on This Morning one day in half term and a woman had asked for one when she was 19 and they told her the age limit had been upped, then she asked again when she was early 20s only to be told it had been upped again. They said most places wont give you one early unless you can prove you are at a high risk x

you cant ask for them and just get one! I watched something on This Morning one day in half term and a woman had asked for one when she was 19 and they told her the age limit had been upped, then she asked again when she was early 20s only to be told it had been upped again. They said most places wont give you one early unless you can prove you are at a high risk x

you can get them at any age if you tell them that you've had a high number of sexual partners!

Back