smear test!

I had an abnormal smear result about 8 years ago and had to go for a colposcopy. That indicated a problem so I had to go back a few weeks later for another, and they did the treatment (called Leep?) laser something or other, they cut a cone shaped lump out of my cervix. It was very unpleasant, I had to go to the pub after and get drunk. I had to have smear tests every 6 months for a few years after, but everything's been fine since and it saved me having a hysterectomy.

Good luck, I hope yours shows no problems. Better to be safe than sorry though.

you cant ask for them and just get one! I watched something on This Morning one day in half term and a woman had asked for one when she was 19 and they told her the age limit had been upped, then she asked again when she was early 20s only to be told it had been upped again. They said most places wont give you one early unless you can prove you are at a high risk x
It depends on your health authority hon if your quite insistent they will, also if you go to the gum clinic and ask for one they will do it too, and when i went and got fitted for contraception you can ask for one. XX

They should have said that on This Morning really shouldnt they (I think the fleetingly mentioned Gun clinic) but never said if you were insistent you could, thanks xxx

that it silly?? do all places do that?? if i went to the docs for one would they turn me away?? cause i kind of want one just to be safe and im 20

when i was avoiding going for a smear years ago (when i didn't need to) they kept forwarding me leaflets and it stated about when and why i should have one done.....i didn't fall into any of their categories!

it probably depends on who you see. if you see a sympathetic health professional they will probably agree to do one.

that it silly?? do all places do that?? if i went to the docs for one would they turn me away?? cause i kind of want one just to be safe and im 20

I am sure your nurse at the surgery wouldn't turn you away. I had my first letter on my 20th birthday and at the time (10 years ago) this was standard so you should be fine. xx

Ok... My birthday is in December, my friends is in October.

She got called for a smear test at the age of 20 but I didn't. This is because they upped the age to 25 instead of 20.

This was in...... 2003. Hopefully this will end the confusion,I think it is now standard practise to start them at 25 (unless high risk etc). xxx

There was a story in the Telegraph a couple of weeks ago about a woman recently diagnosed with cervical cancer and given 2 years to live who was refused a test at 19 and had to wait until she was 25.
I don't think that they should refuse you if you're really concerned, there's evidence that girls should be tested as soon as they become sexually active (it's the papilloma virus that causes the cell changes). If you'd feel better getting tested then go see your doctor and request it, if they refuse then you can always question it or try your GUM - they're usually more accommodating. I had my first test at 18 and the minimum age was 20 then I think (12 years ago).

it's really wierd i have a doctor and where i go round the corner it's not a gum clinic it called contraception and sexual health! not all authorities have them when i asked they said no in reception and when i asked the nurse she said yeah.

Back