Smoked gammon steak & slow cooker

soak it first to get rid of the salt, then just pop it in there with a little water....no added fat required, leave it either all day or all night, no lid lifting! it will come out tender and yummy. the aroma will drive you crazy!

ooh sounds yummy!! do I need to boil it to get rid of salt, or just plonk it in some water for a while?!!
Sorry - I'm a newbie at this slow cooker stuff!!!

pre sw, i used to cover the joint with mustard and then pat brown sugar on it and roast it, comes out all sweet and caramelly yum yum yum!! xx

I do these loads. I put in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins to get rid of salt. Then rinse it well under the tap. Then in the slow cooker totally on its own. I do mine on high for about 3 1/2 hours (for a 750g one)

I make mine into broth afterwards and if I'm being really nice I let dh and the kids have some for sarnies!!!

do you need to put something at bottom of slow cooker or doesnt it matter? i read you need to put a upside down plate or halved onions to prop the gammon onto?

You don't have to add liquid but I always like to add something like veg or chicken stock for ease of mind if nothing else.

I also like to add some veg to the bottom as this is how I was taught to use the slow cooker, don't know if it is necessary or not though.

Back