Smothered Chicken - Speed Food Galore

I had this tonight and put 4 chicken fillets in so I can freeze it. Left the veggies chunky. The only thing is I found the sauce a bit tangy. I'm not a lover of tom sauces anyway. Has anyone any ideas how to overcome the tanginess?

katies said:
I had this tonight and put 4 chicken fillets in so I can freeze it. Left the veggies chunky. The only thing is I found the sauce a bit tangy. I'm not a lover of tom sauces anyway. Has anyone any ideas how to overcome the tanginess?

I would suggest a touch of sweetener or an oxo cube maybe? I know a lot of people add sweetener to tomato based dishes to take away the tang, I haven't so can't confirm it. Maybe try it with a small amount first and see how it tastes? Xx

Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing! Def gonna try this tonight! :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I made this yesterday, mostly blended (with a little less pepper as I don't like it) and it kept the chicken nice and moist and was nice where it had thickened a little bit on top of the chicken, but most of it was quite watery and wasted once chicken was transferred to the plate. It was nice, but not sure it was worth the effort of chopping and blending! Haha.

Going to try using some of the same sauce in a pasta dish today though. We'll see how that goes.

This has got to be one my favourite recipes I've got from this brilliant website!

Just starting back to slimming world after 6 months off plan..Going to try this tonight with some egg fried rice!
Something yummy to set me back on track!

skinnymrstobe said:
This is one of my fave recipes that i created to get loads of speed food into my meals! It goes down really well in our house!!

Serves 2

Syn Free or 1.75 Syns per serving when Discovery Fajita Mix is used

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breasts (SPEED)
1 x 500ml Carton Passata (SPEED)
1 x Red Pepper (SPEED)
1 x Green Pepper (SPEED)
1 x Onion (SPEED)
Handful of Mushrooms (SPEED)
Paprika or Discovery Fajita Mix 30g (3.5 Syns)
Fresh Chillies (optional) (SPEED)

Method

[*]Preheat oven to 190 deg
[*]Chop the Onions, Peppers, Mushrooms and Chillies and put into blender with the passata and blitz until smooth (blending is optional if you like a "chunky" sauce)
[*]Add your chosen seasoning (Paprika or fajita mix) and stir in well
[*]Put the chicken breasts into an ovenproof dish & poor the sauce over the chicken ensuring that the chicken is fully covered
[*]Place in the oven for 20 - 25 mins
[*]Serve (I suggest SW chips or wedges & a side salad)

Optional Extras

Try grilling rashers of bacon and adding them on top of the chicken breast covered with a HExA portion of cheese and returning to the oven until the cheese melts

ITS WORTH NOTING THAT ONE FAJITA MIX WOULD BE ENOUGH IF YOU WERE TO DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF CHICKEN AND SAUCE AS THEY ARE VERY FLAVOURFUL.

Omg this sounds soooooo tummy defo adding this to me list of trying thank u chick x x

This is one of my fave recipes that i created to get loads of speed food into my meals! It goes down really well in our house!!

Serves 2

Syn Free or 1.75 Syns per serving when Discovery Fajita Mix is used

Ingredients

2 Chicken Breasts (SPEED)
1 x 500ml Carton Passata (SPEED)
1 x Red Pepper (SPEED)
1 x Green Pepper (SPEED)
1 x Onion (SPEED)
Handful of Mushrooms (SPEED)
Paprika or Discovery Fajita Mix 30g (3.5 Syns)
Fresh Chillies (optional) (SPEED)

Method

1. Preheat oven to 190 deg
  2. Chop the Onions, Peppers, Mushrooms and Chillies and put into blender with the passata and blitz until smooth (blending is optional if you like a "chunky" sauce)
  3. Add your chosen seasoning (Paprika or fajita mix) and stir in well
  4. Put the chicken breasts into an ovenproof dish & poor the sauce over the chicken ensuring that the chicken is fully covered
  5. Place in the oven for 20 - 25 mins
  6. Serve (I suggest SW chips or wedges & a side salad)

Optional Extras

Try grilling rashers of bacon and adding them on top of the chicken breast covered with a HExA portion of cheese and returning to the oven until the cheese melts

ITS WORTH NOTING THAT ONE FAJITA MIX WOULD BE ENOUGH IF YOU WERE TO DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF CHICKEN AND SAUCE AS THEY ARE VERY FLAVOURFUL.

That's tea christened for this evening, made too much sauce, so the rest is now in the freezer for another day :D x

This sounds gorgeous :). If I make it with paprika rather than the discovery sauce do I still use 30g of paprika??

Back