So far to go-- it's getting me down

Hey, don't give up, just think how much better you feel doing something than you did when you weren't on your way there..and being even a little way down the line is MUCH better than being back at week one.

If it helps I have a similar amount to you to lose (from your stats) but I have even further to go..and having just been out for a wonderful Valentines meal with my lovely hubs (scallops, steak, panacotta and 2 mojitos - worth every mouthful for the food and the company) I have no doubt put myself even further back...BUT tomorrow is another day, and if we take it just one day at a time we will get there..may take a while but we are one day closer to it every day.

So chin up, and lets encourage each other :D

Hi Frankied,

I completely agree with all the other posters (and what you've done). Break it down into smaller goals and celebrate those. That will help to keep you motivated. Don't think about the total amount for now, just think of getting to your next goal and all those NSV's. Concentrate on planning your food and making SW your plan for life. Then before you know it, you will have lost a bit (whatever that may be, 0.5 stone, 1 stone, 2 stone) and be feeling fantastic.

When I started, I just concentrated on trying to do the plan and before I knew it, I'd lost 2 stone in 2 months. And then after that, it just continued. It's only recently that I've started to think about my goal weight and how much further I have to go and it's still quite a way from now.

So good luck, well done for tackling this and big hugs.

Gail x

I totally voice everyone's comments and breaking your Target down Is easier. When I lost my weight the first time (I'm pregnant so weight loss on hold) I never focused on my overall Target. I knew what weight I wanted to be but I just focused on losing a weekly target of 1lb. I knew my target weight and date but that wasn't my focus.

You can do it...weight loss is a marathon not a sprint lol well that's what I keep telling myself ha-ha

Good luck

There are lots of us on here with lots to loose, and also plenty of people who have already done it. We have to stay positive - we can do it, one day at a time until eventually all those 1 days and 1lbs add up to significant losses!
Keep planning, keep posting on here and I think most importantly, for me anyway, is keep on keeping on - we will make mistakes, we will fall off the wagon, there will be times when we choose to come off plan for a special event but as long as we get back on again each time in the end we WILL get there!!

I have nearly 7 stone to lose. I agree it becomes overwhelming if you look at the full figure, I am breaking it down to lose 5lbs a month which means in a year I should have lost 60lbs. It seems to make it much more achievable for me.

hi there, i have 6 stone to loose to get to a comfortable weight for me, i will probably set a new target then, i have lost 19lbs already and have gone down a dress size. i felt like yu and one tip i got was to take body measurements, the scales do not always reflect the inches lost, its good to have when weightloss is maintained or smaller than expected, keep going, your mini goals are very achievable. get the tape measure out! xxxx

i had about 7st to lose when i started and i am almost 3st down at the minute. I had gains over christmas and holidays, but came straight back. i enjoy times with my family and meals out, on those occasions i stick to plan as much as possible, but try not to worry too much .As lots of people have said, my weight did not go on overnight ( about 10yrs actually) so i am happy for it to take time to come off, i am convinced it will stay off that way.
Good luck with your journey.

I started with at least 8 stones to lose... I'm 1 year, 166 days into my SW life and 5 stones 2 lbs lighter...

Yes it did seem daunting at the start (and sometimes still is!) but I sat down near the beginning and worked out what date it would take me to get to target if I lost 1 lb per week... THAT WAS NOT PLEASANT!! However, I took a step back and looked at the bigger picture... For each year I took to lose it had taken me over 13 years of eating badly.. a ratio of 13:1 didn't seem so bad!! Remember, some weeks you'll lose more than the 1 lb, but this offsets the weeks of either a STS or a gain.

There are MANY other targets to use as a motivator...

Every time you cross into the next stone, eg. going from 15st 4lbs to 15st.
Keep a food diary and mark off what day you are up to (I have a 'cinema night' every 100 days)
Dress sizes
The first complement (by someone who doesn't know that you are doing SW)
When you've lost 2 stone (1/4 of the way there!!!)
When you've lost 4 stone (1/2 of the way there!!!)
When you've lost 4 stone 1/2 lb (LESS to lose than you have already done!!!)

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I'm trying really hard and stuck to it almost 99% and have lost weight but feel so down that I have 8 stone still to loose it feels so far to go that right now I can't see myself ever reaching the end. It's going to take years. It's making me feel low and really disheartened. sorry just needed to rant:cry:

Glad to see you have taken the advice and broken down the amount into achievable goals. Just wanted to let you know it is do-able and it might not take years I've lost 8 stone in less than 18 months yes its been hard work but it can be done and I never dreamed I would do it! Good luck with your journey :)

Just take one day at a time.

I started a year ago in May, wanted to loose 6 stone. So far I've lost 3 stone so I'm half way there - I'm taking it nice a slow though and enjoying the odd meal out or treats along the way. I'm on a bit of a break at the mo but I've maintained since December and the meals I cook are SW friendly and pretty low syn. We're going on hols next week but I'm going to re-start properly the following week with a target of loosing the other 2 or 3 stone.
I think at the end of the day if you're determined to do it, you will. No matter how long it takes! Along the way I've felt disheartened and thought about doing the total food replacement diets but at the end of the day I do slimming world as it means I can eat normally and it does work. I'm already 3 stone lighter and 3/4 clothes sizes smaller to proove that :)

When people notice your weight loss - that's really good incentive to keep going. As is fitting into a size smaller trousers!

Last edited:
I just wanted to say .... U CAN DO IT XXXX

hey there - just wanted to say it can be done. I am 4 stone down - approx 3 to go. I am taking my weight loss now at 1lb a week.

I hope that by setting simple, realistic goals i dont put undue pressure on myself.

I could have lost weight quicker, but i end up going the 'scenic' route as i have a busy social life, and want to have a life still - because i know when i get to target i am still going to be out and about too! I have lost on average just under 1lb a week.....so its slow, but i have gone down in dress sizes and i am close to an 'overweight' BMI and no longer Obese, or SuperObese!

I love this eating plan and its the only one i have done that i can see myself continuing with afterwards!

good luck - you can do it - xxxx

I did exactly what you think of as impossible- I (and many others) are absolute living proof that this is really possible

I lost 8 stone and have maintained my target for 6 months

Yes it took me 2 years, but I had to get through those 2 years anyway- imagine if I had given up? I shudder at the thought!! I would be bigger now than when I had started, rather than finally content and happy with my size for the first time ever in my life.

Honestly, mate- giving up is so much easier but if you give up you accept a life only half lived- break it down into small goals and celebrate every single one

Good luck

p.s. Lonestitcher- wanted to rep you but have to spread it around- excellent post, girlio xxxx

Back