SO scared to gain weight. What effect will treating myself have on my weight?

CJS93

I've been trying so so hard over the past months using exercise and a calorie controlled diet to get down to a weight that I am happy with and I can say that I am nearly there. I am happy to stay as I am or to lose a few more pounds and am more than happy to keep up the exercise and calorie control but I need a treat sometimes! I'm fed up of hardly ever feeling full, although I make sure I eat tasty foods occasionally it would be nice to go out for a meal and not worry about having three courses, or to have a take away with my friends. Will ONE one off binge make me gain weight straight away? I'm actually so scared to step on the scales and see that I've gained after I've worked so so hard. My family and friends are getting fed up of my excuses and refusal to do all the things we used to like going out for meals. I've just got a new job and am moving house so would like to celebrate, but am SO worried of the effects it will have. PLEASE help!!

Hey CJ firstly massive well done on your weightloss. I know what you mean about feeling scared after working so hard for so long and this is the most important time to ease into maintenance and not start a yo yo of gaining and losing. It is SO easy to fall into that trap but you have identified the danger and are planning your strategy so you will be fine!

The things I would suggest are:
1. increase your exercise levels, this will help you maintain, tighten up your body and improve your mood and motivation.

2. only step on the scales on the 1st of each month (might be a bit scary if you are a serial weigher, but I honestly think that this will build your confidence and stop obession over any fluctuation.) So many people fall into the binge starve cycle because of seeing a gain after a tasty meal or treat and it totally ruins any enjoyment you should have got from eating the meal in the first place.

3. relax and enjoy yourself! You have worked really hard and are obviously proud of what you have achieved. Your body is now a healthy weight. You deserve to live a full and enjoyable life, you have educated yourself as to food and can now make sensible decisions. Everything in moderation. You can go out for meals, sometimes you will consciously choose the healthier options, sometimes you will pick something high fat/calorie- enjoy whichever you choose and then just carry on with your routine as normal. If you know you are having a big meal out with friends and family just adjust your other meals with a light breakfast and lunch :) You can do it !!! :D

have you thought about having a treat day or a treat meal? you've lost the weight and that's amazing, maintenance tends to be the hard work lol. you will be allowed more cals if u are maintaining so u could have say a Saturday night off to eat whatever u want. as long as u watch the rest of the week and maintain exercise levels it shouldn't affect you too much.xxx

Back