Soft fruit vs Hard fruit

Ally89

Gold Member
I find it impossible to eat soft fruit, I hate it, for me to be able to eat it it has to be rock hard (apart from bananas but even when those are too ripe i can't eat them), pears, peaches, plums anything like that they have to be firm to the touch, if they are soft they physically make me gag (i'm the same with potato, the texture makes me gag).

Does anyone else prefer there fruit firm or do you like them nice and squichy (ick)?

EDIT:
Editted to avoid people getting confuzzled by my over active imagination.

Last edited:
What??? That's the first I heard of having to eat soft fruit!! :confused:

Just something i read when i joined online. I'll see if i can find it, it said something about the fruit being soft. I'll see if i can find it.

I can't find it now, i've literally read it once when i signed up online and it said something about not eating fruit when it was hard cos its not as ripe. Conveniently doesn't say it anywhere else from what i can see.

Last edited:
Yeah, beginning to think i imagined reading it when i signed up.

Yep, been a member off and on for years but never heard this before. I wouldn't worry about it - just enjoy your fruit :)

I am editting my first post, so people don't get confused. I think my imagination is playing tricks on me.

SW can be a bit prescriptive on many things - but if they are going to tell you you can't eat fruit til its ripe I am gonna give up!

I can eat fruits that are supposed to be soft fine (like raspberries, strawberries etc) but prefer Nectarines, plums, pears to be hard. I prefer nanas when they are almost still green too.

I can eat fruits that are supposed to be soft fine (like raspberries, strawberries etc) but prefer Nectarines, plums, pears to be hard. I prefer nanas when they are almost still green too.

Thats how i like mine too.

I am like that with some fruits, others I don't mind. Cant eat soft peppers or tomatos though bleurgh :/ Have to be really crisp. Same with apples, don't like those yellow ones that don't have a bite to them.

I'm a bit funny with this, fruit has to be just perfect for me to be able to eat it. Apples have to be crisp, not wrinkly or starting to go soft. Bananas are ok green but I prefer them when they're just about to turn, but if there's any brown bits on them I can't deal with that. Mango needs to be soggy, nothing worse than a mango that has the texture of raw turnip! Can't eat plums, pears or anything like that unless they're just about to turn, need to be juicy and soft, but not brown! I quite like a satsuma that's dried up a bit, when the peel has started to come away from the fruit. Can't be doing with fruit that gives you a citrus shower as you peel/eat them.

I'm just a bit weird with fruit full stop. The thought of biting into over ripe fruit makes me feel ill - as a result, I struggle to eat it. Love raspberries and pineapple, can cope with melon and satsumas (but not clementines!) and like a nice slice of lemon or lime in a G&T but thats about it.

Do eat loads of veg though to make up for my freaky fruit behaviour.

I can't do with bruises either. I actually eat round bruises or cut them out.

Ally89 said:
I can't do with bruises either. I actually eat round bruises or cut them out.

I thought that was just me! Except if a Banaba has ANY bruising the whole thing goes in the bin!!

I dont like bananas with black on the skin, cant eat pears any way they come, love strawberries, raspberries,very ripe melon,crunchy red grapes, dont like the squishy,kiwi have to be underipe, allergic to fresh pineapple,peaches have to be very ripe as plums also. Apples have to be red and crisp and sweet with the peel cut off!! And you thought you were odd ha ha!!!

My apples have to be crisp and absolutely no bruises or I can't eat it. Pears have to be rock hard, any bit of squishiness sets my teeth on edge. Mango has to be lovely and ripe, really juicy. I eat over ripe bananas but prefer them just yellow with a big of green on them. Everything else I'll pretty much eat as is. Thought I was the only one who was funny about fruit, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I found where I read that the fruit shouldn't be hard. It was on the '"Getting Started" Menu' page on the SW website, under the 'Handy Hints'

'Fresh fruit and veg are vital to health. We recommend that you eat at least five portions each day - it shouldn't be hard; fresh and frozen fruit is Free! Fill your fruit bowl. Choose your favourite fruit each day – we’ve made suggestions but if you’d prefer another fruit, feel free to make a swap!'

Knew I wasn't going totally insane haha

Back