Somalia

fillymum

synful soul
This is not meant to be a political thread so please no one make it one. It is just how I feel about all those poor souls.

On the BBC news this morning I saw a spokesman from Save the Children, who are doing such sterling work there.

It was heartbreaking and I think it is one time when I believe in overseas aid. I know most of Europe is in crisis but these people are barely existing.

Because the drought situation is so bad their livestock have died so not only do they have no water they have no food either.

These people didn't have a good lifestyle to start with ,now it is insupportable.

I think DH and I will be doing without something non essential for a while so that we can try and help a little.

I can not get the image of those little, starving children out of my head.

Thanks for this post Sue. It came as a timely reminder that for the past week I've been meaning to send a contribution to DEC but senior moments kept getting in the way! Will do. Now. :) x

Thanks Woodmouse.

I was beginning to think I was the only person who cared more about these starving people than about a bug in a piece of fruit................oh what they would give for a piece of fruit.....bug or otherwise !!

I do not mean to offend anyone as it is much more fun to be light hearted and I love the bug thread so don't bite my head off.( there might be a bug in there lol )

I must have missed the bug thread. Can't begin to tell you how upset this is making me. On a good day in this part if africa things are tough by anyones standards, but all the moment its just terrible. I can't watch it anymore its so upsetting. I am not a maternal person in the slightest, but when i went to Kenya i would have happily flown a plane load of kids home with me & looked after every single one of them. There's something very wrong with watching a 5 year old carrying litres of water for miles & not being able to help for your 'own safety' or a kid not going to school because their parents can't find £40 for the year ( in that case a few of us chipped in to pay her fees but its still not the point.

I must have missed the bug thread. Can't begin to tell you how upset this is making me. On a good day in this part if africa things are tough by anyones standards, but all the moment its just terrible. I can't watch it anymore its so upsetting. I am not a maternal person in the slightest, but when i went to Kenya i would have happily flown a plane load of kids home with me & looked after every single one of them. There's something very wrong with watching a 5 year old carrying litres of water for miles & not being able to help for your 'own safety' or a kid not going to school because their parents can't find £40 for the year ( in that case a few of us chipped in to pay her fees but its still not the point.

It is shocking.

I think we all have to much.

It is appauling that some people have so much and yet others dont even have the basics. I cannot imagine as a mum not being able to provide my children with food and water. Sometimes i worry that i am not giving my boys enough (treats, presents etc) but this puts it all into prospective doesnt it.

I totally agree with you Fillymum. It is heartbreaking to watch and even worse to not be able to physically help.

We travelled to Somalia a few years ago and took supplies for some of the schools with us. They were so grateful for a couple of sheets of paper and a pencil, while children in this part of the world are upset if they don't get the latest computer game!

I don't have children, but as a woman I find it hard to imagine not being able to care for your family.

I have to tell you something that might make you smile.
My dad is from South Africa. He was classified as 'Coloured' as he had a white father and a black mother. He was born in 1930 and was 'sent' to England in the early 60's due to political views.

Anyway he told me that when he was younger they used to have gang fights with the Somalian children. Nothing like the knife fights here. And it was in the 70's when he was in a pub talking to a Somalian man, and low and behold they used to fight each other as children.
Small world !!!

"I do not mean to offend anyone as it is much more fun to be light hearted and I love the bug thread so don't bite my head off.( there might be a bug in there lol )"

I don't think anyone will be offended - in my case I was glad to be reminded to send a contribution, and your later post reminded me that everyone who comes to this site has had their own problems and difficulties, or else we wouldn't be here, and sometimes being caught up for a moment with the lighter side can only be beneficial as we show our support for one another..... a question of balance.....

what is the bug post?

The one about insects in fruit etc.

Made me smile because as I said in that thread, there is nothing wrong with a witchetty grub

I have to tell you something that might make you smile.
My dad is from South Africa. He was classified as 'Coloured' as he had a white father and a black mother. He was born in 1930 and was 'sent' to England in the early 60's due to political views.

Anyway he told me that when he was younger they used to have gang fights with the Somalian children. Nothing like the knife fights here. And it was in the 70's when he was in a pub talking to a Somalian man, and low and behold they used to fight each other as children.
Small world !!!

Gosh, My Dad is from South African too and was classified 'coloured' because he was abandoned on a hillside and couldn't verify his lineage. He was brought up in an orphanage and left the country by stowing away on a fishing boat, he was found outside of SA waters and then went into the merchant navy, lying about his age.

I also work with a Somali and he is wary of telling people what country he is from.

The scenes of those children haunt me.

Thanks Woodmouse.

I was beginning to think I was the only person who cared more about these starving people than about a bug in a piece of fruit................oh what they would give for a piece of fruit.....bug or otherwise !!

I do not mean to offend anyone as it is much more fun to be light hearted and I love the bug thread so don't bite my head off.( there might be a bug in there lol )

Trust me, that's one empty vessel for sure!:cool:

Yes, well most of the world is living in positive luxury compared to some. I always thought there was little we culd do about it, but having wached some programmes about Live Aid recently, it just shows what CAN be done.

Gosh, My Dad is from South African too and was classified 'coloured' because he was abandoned on a hillside and couldn't verify his lineage. He was brought up in an orphanage and left the country by stowing away on a fishing boat, he was found outside of SA waters and then went into the merchant navy, lying about his age.

I also work with a Somali and he is wary of telling people what country he is from.

The scenes of those children haunt me.
I find that fascinating your pa must have a fund of stories,...........what stories we could all tell.
My lovely Paul is from Rhodesia, refuses to call it Zimbabwe, and we have lots of friends their who often live in fear of their lives.

I want to try and organise a fund raiser, something that is not here at the house that is such hard work, the last one we did was for orphaned children here in our area, and we had 400 folks here. That was one major undertaking with most of the work falling on my shoulders. We had stalls of every kind, a French style street cafe round the pool area, an auction, a parade of stallions, mares and foals and a dog training exhibition ( not my naughty lot)

Tomorrow I am going to speak to the guy who owns the antique centre and see if we can utilise the restaurant and bar area and put on a function with dinner, dancing, live music, karaoke and an auction to raise a good amount of dosh for Save the Children particularly for Somalia and surrounding countries.

After all I have the hours between midnight and 6 in the morning free lol !!!

I find that fascinating your pa must have a fund of stories,...........what stories we could all tell.
My lovely Paul is from Rhodesia, refuses to call it Zimbabwe, and we have lots of friends their who often live in fear of their lives.

I want to try and organise a fund raiser, something that is not here at the house that is such hard work, the last one we did was for orphaned children here in our area, and we had 400 folks here. That was one major undertaking with most of the work falling on my shoulders. We had stalls of every kind, a French style street cafe round the pool area, an auction, a parade of stallions, mares and foals and a dog training exhibition ( not my naughty lot)

Tomorrow I am going to speak to the guy who owns the antique centre and see if we can utilise the restaurant and bar area and put on a function with dinner, dancing, live music, karaoke and an auction to raise a good amount of dosh for Save the Children particularly for Somalia and surrounding countries.

After all I have the hours between midnight and 6 in the morning free lol !!!

Well done Sue! Not sure what I could do to help from so far away but if there is anything you can think of, please let me know :)

Well done Sue! Not sure what I could do to help from so far away but if there is anything you can think of, please let me know :)

Thanks.

Just knowing I have your moral support is drive enough to spur me on.

I am seeing Pepe, the owner next week for a proper in depth chat. Only problem with him is that he is very money motivated and he will want something out of it.

I think if I promise him loads of radio and newspaper publicity he might go for it.

I am going to ask * The Blues Brothers* if they will do a spot that night.......they are so good......just like the real thing and , said with modesty * they like me a lot * blushes !!!

Will do my best........charm personified lol !!!

Are you of to RWAS. Cobs on Thursday.

The daughter of my mentor is judging the Welsh lead rein etc.... Margie Edwards...........say hi to her for me.

Yes, we're going up on Thursday and hoping that the weather is nice. They've apparently spent a lot of money on a new draining system in the main ring after the mess that was caused by the rain last year - lets hope it works!

Back