Somersets worst cook meal/recipe ideas!

vickidyers

Silver Member
I have seen quite a few threads on here from newbies that are struggling in the first few weeks as I did.
I am probably one of the worst cooks in the world (hence my weight gain as I always used to eat out). But now having got to grips with food optimising I'm improving slightly.

I'm not one of these people who can cope with recipes such as *adding a touch of tarragon or making a jus*!! So here goes the start of my basic meal ideas for people like me who can't cook unless it comes out of a packet with very basic instructions!

My shopping has just been delivered, I have taken a photo of some of the delights I will be attempting not to burn/cremate/wreck this week. Notice how cheap I am and always go for the 3 for £10 or 2 for £5. I like to bargin shop! My first plan is to do toad in the hole tonight - watch this space for news/photos!!

feel free to comment - i'm always keen to improve x

Attachments

• 100_1020.jpg
    100_1020.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Toad in the hole - Original syn values given

100g of batter mix (I used sainsburys at 12 syns)
1 egg
200ml of water
8 x low syn sausages (I used sainburys reduced fat pork ones at 2 syns each)
1 tablespoon of oil (6 syns)

put 1 tablespoon oil in a suitable dish in an oven on 220 degrees.

whilst oil is geting hot, whisk batter mix, 1 egg and 200ml of water until fully mixed, smooth and 'airy' (i.e bubbles in mixture)

Take the hot oil out of the oven, put the sausages in the dish and pour over the batter mix. Shove it all back in the oven and cook for 30mins.

Done!

proud of the results it was yummy, I served it with runner beans and carrots.

Total = 34 syns,
serves 4 so equals 8.5 per serving and delicious!

Attachments

• 100_1023.jpg
    100_1023.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 2,202
  • 100_1024.jpg
    100_1024.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 100_1022.jpg
    100_1022.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
Looks soooo delicious!

Next time try the weight watchers sausages, pack of 8, i got mine in sainsburys, (the ones with the new pro points on), each sausage is 60calories. Totally synfree on red days :) making it even fewer syns for you!

We use the reduced fat cumberland sausage from sainsbury's only 0.5 syn each!

Looks soooo delicious!

Next time try the weight watchers sausages, pack of 8, i got mine in sainsburys, (the ones with the new pro points on), each sausage is 60calories. Totally synfree on red days :) making it even fewer syns for you!

Sorry, this is not correct - Weight Watchers sausages are not free. They are 1/2 or 1 syn depending which you get:

Premium Pork Sausages, 8 pack, chilled, 50g each ½
Premium Thick Pork Sausages, 6 pack, chilled, 67g each 1
Reduced Fat Cumberland Sausages, 8 pack, chilled, 50g each ½

What a great thread to start Viki! :winner: ....might just get hubby to start reading this thread so he can cook for me instead! :D

Roast Chicken - Original syn values given

chuck the chicken in the oven on about 190 for about 1hour 30 (it was a small chicken)

I served with:
carrots, cauliflower and sprouts (syn free)
Aunt Bessie yorshire pudding (3 syns)
Aunt Bessie pork stuffing ball (3 syns)
Colmans chedder cheese sauce (8 syns for whole packet - serves 4)

I didn't have the roast spuds as I'm on a red day - they were for the OH! Yum meal for 8 syns :D

Attachments

• 100_1025.jpg
    100_1025.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 255
  • 100_1026.jpg
    100_1026.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 216
OOmmmNNnooommmmmm Yummy yummy!
So excited about the cheese sauce! Looks like you get loads for 2syns! Gotta find me some of that! Mmmm cauliflower cheese :)

OOmmmNNnooommmmmm Yummy yummy!
So excited about the cheese sauce! Looks like you get loads for 2syns! Gotta find me some of that! Mmmm cauliflower cheese :)

lol!! I'm living off colmans cheese sauce at the moment - really perks up the veg (I'm not a huge fan of gravy).
It's great for pouring over cauliflower and lobbed in the oven for a great cauliflower cheese (need to use milk from your HEXA allowance - I use skimmed) x

Had this yesterday, Diet Coke boiled bacon, with egg, chips & beans............

EggChipsBeansSmall.jpg

Back