Sooo...does Atkins really work??

As far as I know, the Atkins diet is heart-healthy due to the decrease in total chol, LDL-c, TG's, HbA1c, fasting glucose & blood pressure and the increase in HDL-c. I've been on it for 11 years and I'm still doing fine. Nige x

Hi Nige

When you say you've been on Atkins for 11 years does that mean you use it as a general way of eating? I assume you don't mean you have been using it as a way of losing weight for 11 years?

What do you do - do you follow a particular phase of the plan?

well thats not very nice, im not talking through my backside at all!!!, my cdc said that the atkins had been banned because of something to do with the muscles of the heart, thats why i was suprised to see a thread on it.
you've really upset me now, you dont even know me so how can you say things like that:whoopass::cry:

I think she was talking about your cdc, not you!

well thats not very nice, im not talking through my backside at all!!!, my cdc said that the atkins had been banned because of something to do with the muscles of the heart, thats why i was suprised to see a thread on it.
you've really upset me now, you dont even know me so how can you say things like that:whoopass::cry:

SHE MENT YOUR CDC NOT YOU (oops sorry caps lol) its very easy to see that it was meant at your cdc not you .

You cant ban a diet like this ,Iv done it and it does work

It really works the same as a ketosis diet and you dont have to eat high fat on it! ,Im just about to start it myself as i did it a few years ago and you do lose and its great for maintaining .I have the type of body (i have pcos ) that does not respond to carbs very well so anything protein based is good for me. But i like being in ketosis when im losing and until my cdc comes back off holiday im going to give atkins a go and re evaluate in a few weeks time about my progress and decide if atkins or cds is the way to go :)

Your CDC is either having a laugh, trying to scare you or trying to be clever and failing miserably.

Exactly. Actually if you do not consume enough protein and fat the body does begin to consume muscles and also brain function is reduced. But that is the same for ANY diet.

Thats why anorexics die of heart failure. This is why low intake of healthy fats such as oily fish leads to inability to concentrate and mood swings in children and adults.

People can starve to death on an all carb diet too. You need to apply knowledge AND common sense to any eating plan.

Last edited:
If you don't follow Atkins' advice to the letter then you are not doing Atkins, you are doing some other plan. Personally I wouldn't do it; low carb+high protein+low fat = protein ('rabbit') starvation ie Kimkins and look at the damage she did. My advice for Atkins eaters particularly in induction is to make sure that your fat intake always exceeds your protein intake.

The Rapid Fat Loss Hand Book is not kim kims. I suggest you give it a read, if followed correctly and to the letter, it's a fantasic way of dropping bodyfat FAST, whilst maintaining your LBM. People have seen fantastic results following it, as with all of Lyle McDonald's books.

I'd recommend it over any other diet, in terms of dropping body fat quickly, but it's really tough on you mentally so if you're prone to binge eating when you get hungry it's probably not a good idea. Also, as it's not a permanent diet like some are, you need to have a plan of how you'll need to eat once you get off the diet, but Lyle has a couple of chapters dedicated to that in the book.

I'd recommend the book though, it's a great read. Lyle McDonald really knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Hmm, well.

1. I've been on Atkins since early 2002.
2. I had my blood and liver and Kidney tests prior to starting Atkins Induction. The results were awful!
3. After 6 months on Induction my tests results were good, very good in fact. The Dr could not believe my Cholesterol levels had gone way down whilst I was eating so much fat.
4. I have lost nearly 12 stone, and maintained it.
5. I am a new man, I go everywhere and do everything, prior to Atkins I was becoming housebound.
6. My blood boils whenever I hear some one say Atkins can't be good for you.

Look at the photo's people! and tell me I'm unhealthy and going to die.

Go Jim!!

I used to be on the Atkins is evil band wagon. Up until earlier this year in fact! But I hve done a lot of research into why the balance has to be as it is and I totally understand it. If you cut the carbs and the fat, you end up losing lean muscle tissue. Our body burns carbs first. Burns fats if carbs are not present. But will only burn protein as a serious last resort. So, your lean muscle tissue breaks down instead. Seriously not good!

I am following Dr Charles Clark....But really have been following Atkins. I have read both books cover to cover.

Low carb makes me eat less, gives me more energy, makes me lose weight at a nice pace and has stopped me carving things I lived for. Plus, I no longer get tummy aches or bloating. I love it! Plus, I have lost so many inches off my waist in a short amount of time!! Couldnt be happier!!

Spot on Sophs.

I don't think there will ever be mass acceptance of Atkins. Just a few converts at a time will do it lol

I agree Sophs, mind you I also think it doesn't suit everybody.

Thats true...One size certainly doesnt fit all!

Yes Sophs, Atkins was perfect for me, but that doesn't mean it will be for everyone does it love.

Nah....certainly not. Plus different diets fit at different times. At age 19 Slimming World fit my life perfectly. It never has fit so well since. Now, low carb fits great. It didn't when I tried it a few years back.

I guess what I really meant before was about acceptance from people that Atkins works and people do not die doing it. Like the same acceptance calories counting and low fat diets get. Not for all to follow it...Just to accept it is another way.

I agree to each it's own. Atkins and a low carb diet and watching my calories have worked the best for me. after getting to my goal weight calorie counting and watching my carbs will be the way that I go. I know this will be a lifetime change and it should be a way of eating that I can live with. Watching my carbs and calories in vs calories out(calorie counting) is something I can live with..

Ah yes, what is it about Atkins that gets everyone going? I stopped telling people I was on Atkins after a bit, just said I wasn't eating bread and potato's. :sigh:

I say I have cut down on my carbs. Saves the drama lol...I don't feel i need to start wars over my choice of diet as an adult lol

I know, it's so silly isn't it love.

LOL sophs and jim. It really is like a war. A good friend of mines is constantly telling me I'm eating unhealthy and etc... I hate I told him I was doing atkins...Now I just tell people I'm watching what i eat and cutting back on processed foods and carbs..

:wave_cry::eek:We are like a secret community, shunned by society!!! Oh, no!! We are lepers!!!:wave_cry::8855::8855:

Back