South Africa and Atkins?

IslandBreeze

Castaway
Hi
I will be going to Cape Town at the end of April for a keyhole operation (it's the nearest big hospital to my little island). We've decided to combine the trip with our annual leave so we'll be staying in the Western Cape for a bit, then maybe going to Kruger National Park and then to Mauritius before returning to Cape Town to catch the ship home.
I'm trying to plan ahead diet-wise and thinking I can stay on Atkins for the whole holiday. I know the ship serves lots of lovely protein and I'm assuming SA serves tons of meat and hopefully fish (LOVE fish) and that I can have lots of fish in Mauritius. But am I assuming correctly? I've never been there - does anyone know?
Also, do they have lots of lovely puddings etc that will tempt me? I tend to like Brit/ European style sweet things. Not much tempted by American puds and never ever have pudding in a Chinese or Indian restaurant. Am I likely to find South African puddings etc tempting? Forewarned is forearmed and all that!
Thanks.

I lived in Durban for 4 months on an IT Project IB. I was on Atkins then and had no problems.

The SA diet tends to consist mainly of meat, hun, but of course it depends where you go as to how the menus will differ.

In a 5* hotel, for example, you will be offered a wide range of foods, including the lovely puddings - it's a very cosmopolitan country in lots of ways. Off the beaten track, it's meat and carbs - bunny chows etc.

You will have a fantastic time! I'm so jealous! I adore SA!

Morning IB. I don't know about the cuisine but just wanted to say that I am green with envy!!!!

I went to Uganda a number of years back and love Africa. Would love to go back.

The only african country I've been to is Tunisia, used to go there loads for work. But that's not really "Africa" is it, so this will be a fascinating experience for me.

I've spent most of my life in South Africa and Zimbabwe. You will have absolutely no problems what so ever with low carbing.

Jim I lived in Pietermaritzburg and we spent every other weekend in Durban :) :)

I loved Durban Tracy, I was always sad that I never managed to get out into the countryside whilst I was there.

Thats a shame Jim, but when you're working, its hard to find the time.

You look so amazing in your 'after' shot!

Especially contract work Tracy.

Thanks for the compliment love. I posted a load on the success thread near the top.

You know I don't recall any fish dishes. loads of BBQ stuff and things made with maize but no fish. I could be wrong there and I was only there for 3 months IB. I do remember there were some lovely curries for some reason and I used to go to a cape Dutch restaurant a lot.

Boerewors is very nice- its kinda spicy though. Droe wors is actually like a dried sausage, its quite chewy (its gets your mouth really juicy though) but its a great snack. Biltong is a 'salted' dried piece of meat (usually the best cuts) its abit like american jerky but 100 times nicer. Its fantastic stuff! South Africans love there droe wors(translated dry sausage) and biltong. South Africans have alot of 'braais' which is the africaans word for barbeque, so if you see 'braaivleis' on the menu -its usually meat thats been cooked on a barbeque. Most meat is cooked 'naked' without fancy marinades.

Sadly I know many more South African desserts than meat dishes, so stay away from Koeksusters and vetkoek LOL!

You'll get loads of fresh fish, and if you're willing to try all sorts of game ie impala, gemsbok etc etc.

Back