Spanish Tapa: Spinach with Chickpeas

I'm living in Spain at the moment and I absolutely LOVE this tapa the way they make it down here in Seville. Only problem is I've just found out they put blended bread and oil to make the sauce taste soo yummy!! Even still, I made it without the above and it still tasted pretty good. Sorry I don't have the exact measurements!

Ingredients:

1 jar of chickpeas (already cooked)
1 bag of spinach (frozen or fresh)
spicy red pepper powder
sweet red pepper powder
dried capsicum seeds
cumin
salt
Frylight spray
Bread (white or brown, soft bread that can be blended is best - you only need a couple of slices)
White wine vinegar

Method:

1. cook spinach, and drain
2. chickpeas wash with water
3. on a frying pan use fry light and when hot add about 3 garlic cloves nicely chopped. A few seconds later add 1 or 2 capsicum seeds (depending on how spicy u want it-i added 2)
4. A few seconds later add cumin (a lot), spicy red pepper in powder (a lot) and sweet red pepper in powder (**** loads, at least one third of the little jar).....mix briefly and add sliced bread (from HEXB)...mix bread in the mixture but do all that fast because the spices burn very quickly.
5. blend the mixture with a machine adding white wine vinagar (quite a lot). If the texture is still too thick add hot water ...untill u get the desired texture.
6. put spinach, chickpeas and the mixture back in to the frying pan mixing and adding salt.
7.ready

Going to try to put a photo up of what it looked like....if I can figure out how to do that!!!

You can make this at varying spice levels too....if you like it hot just add more capsicum seeds!!

Let me know if you do try it out....:D

Back