Spelling - It's lose not loose!

Hi Trudy and welcome don't worry no one is perfect, we would'nt be here if we were. x:D

Jenny - I hear what you are saying :) x

Me too !

I want a stuffed mushroom now! :cry:

Lol !!!

I can read and i do a lot.but i can,t spell(Dyslexic).i would really love to join in the talking to you lot more. :(

Well do then. Do not let it stop you.My DH has got over all his dyslexia hangups and happily uses Face book and several forums but uses a spell check to help himself.

Thank you.every one on here is so nice :).

We are so lovely LOL !!

My only bug bear is the difference between brought and bought.

My friend said "I brought a curry last night from the shop"..I'm thinking brought it where?

Brought is the following: past participle, past tense of bring (Verb)
Example: Come to a place with (someone or something): "she brought Luke home"; "Liz brought her a glass of water".

Bought is when you buy something.

But I agree that if we understand what you mean it doesn't matter. It takes me ages to read a text or face book update from my niece and she knows how to spell she just can't be bothered.

I would just like to say that there has been a distinct lack of punctuation in my posts recently - i know you have noticed ;):D

Not due to laziness but only because I spilt tea on the laptop and now a lot of the keys on the bottom row of the keyboard do not work so I need to copy and paste from another post - I often play "hunt the x"! :D

You have no idea how any times c v x and m alone turn up in posts so apostrophes commas and full stops are a step too far! :sigh:

I would just like to say that there has been a distinct lack of punctuation in my posts recently - i know you have noticed ;):D

Not due to laziness but only because I spilt tea on the laptop and now a lot of the keys on the bottom row of the keyboard do not work so I need to copy and paste from another post - I often play "hunt the x"! :D

You have no idea how any times c v x and m alone turn up in posts so apostrophes commas and full stops are a step too far! :sigh:

That must be so annoying for you. I have trouble with just the v and find it infuriating.

Could a new keyboard be the answer ?

I did this by accident in a thread the other day but I can't remember where! So if anyone finds it let me know :)

I realised after I posted but to be honest I didn't care enough to edit it at the time but if it makes you all squeamish I will change it.

The English language isn't a strong point for me sorry but if you want your foot bandadged then I'm your girl.

Xx

Lol !! Talk about putting things into perspective.

You can bandage my foot anytime Allie. After all I have a habit of " putting it in it " every now and again.

I see some bad spelling on t'interwebs and some appalling grammar, but then I suppose I'm not above reproach either. I'm usually too busy trying to type quickly that I lose punctuation, spelling at some point, more commonly transferring letters when in a hurry. Personally I can use some belters of big words and get quite wordy and loquacious when required (see what I did there?), but I most commonly mix up "did" and "done" when speaking. I'm almost 30 and still get it muddled.

However it's a big world out there and not everyone has had the same input from teachers, parents etc, so I do try not to judge too harshly.

It's only the internet not life! iyswim?

Life's too short to get bogged down, just do your best and do what's important and in my opinion that's all you can do :)

If I can spell deoxyribonucleic acid but I get stuck with the word gorgeous every time does it really matter? To me? No way!
Yes, but the difference is you're not a deoxyribonucleic person though Allie, but you are a gorgeous one:p

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread! Reading is had distracted me from having that 'empty' feeling which my head is telling me is hunger but I know it isn't because I had a pack not long ago!

I read all the exchanges. Someone mentioned that 9/10 on the forum where either not good speller or lazy. I certainly disagree. I am neither lazy nor a poor at spelling (and that's not because I am a lawyer either). The simple fact is that most of us are probably not typists (my typing skills are poor) and in addition we are all likely to be in a rush when posting. Time is a luxury I don't have, hence my grammar and spelling coupled with being terrible at typing fast means I don't get it right. However, I think debates on grammar, spelling and the 'correct' use of the English is extremely interesting and such debates surely help us from thinking about food! It certainly did me!

Natasha, I take my hat of to your husband! Any degree is hard enough without battling with dyslexia too!

Once again, really enjoyed the exchanges and opinions!

I am a stickler for grammar and punctuation in my job or if i'm reading publications, official documents and so on (English teacher mum). But to be honest, if there is the odd spelling mistake on here and people don't use the correct terms/tenses/apostrophes etc, I really don't care, I have my own worries :) So if you happen to not be the greatest speller in the world, I still love you :) xx

I had to search for this topic after reading on another forum:

"Please accept that you're on a British website where many posters care about English and its use."

The only problem I have with spelling errors is when it changes pronunciation. When I read I 'hear' the words in my head and loose in place of lose interrupts the flow.

My apologies to everyone who understands apostrophes; those always trip me up.

I am in the same poistion, it is so soul destroying when you have good material but you get marked down for grammer, I have to put hours of work into my degree.

I saw this and had to comment, my husband is Dyslexic and got ridiculed and told he would get no where at secondary school. However he completed a Law degree 3 years ago at the age of 33 followed by a Post graduate teaching course and now teaches law to A-level students. He has improved his spelling but it is not perfect, he makes silly errors as the one commented on. He also runs his own forum called penaltycharges it annoys me when people comment on his spelling after he has done so much to help others although it doesnt bother him at all anymore and i am very proud of him.:D Oh and both my sons are Dyslexic aswell, i can only hope they are as successful as my husband has been. There are more important things in life to worry about !

Just thought that I'd post this (off my most recent T-shirt acquisition!!)

deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers are in as lnog as the frist and lsat ltteers are in the rghit pclae.

fcuknig amzanig eh

I don't know if this will translate when typed but it certainly works on the T-shirt. Now I'm wondering if the font makes all the difference?...

All of these posts have been interesting to read. No-one is 'having a go', just discussing our own bug-bears. Everyone has different abilities and they are what make us all individuals (and fantastic!!!). However, the things that bug me, will always be the things that bug me...

P.S. Yes, I did have to look up how to spell acquisition!!

Last edited:
Back