Spelling - It's lose not loose!

Saw this quality post on FB last night... seriously that must have taken longer to type like this than properly

I am so sorry tae have missed ye. If ur having a wee night opt n I havenae missed gie me a shout I'll be there. Cannae believe it u were the last of the team. Wot we going to do now? Well I will miss ya hunners n i wish u all the best for the future. Good luck yer a good yin!!!!! Xxx

Technically you don't even date the paper - it's already printed on it, and you don't write your name on exam papers, just a candidate number!!!!!

Saw this quality post on FB last night... seriously that must have taken longer to type like this than properly

I am so sorry tae have missed ye. If ur having a wee night opt n I havenae missed gie me a shout I'll be there. Cannae believe it u were the last of the team. Wot we going to do now? Well I will miss ya hunners n i wish u all the best for the future. Good luck yer a good yin!!!!! Xxx

When I was travelling I read the book 'Glue' which was written exactly like that status. I was caught in the middle of nowhere in a power cut, in monsoon rains, so perservered with the book, only it had been that long since i'd spoken to or heard anyone with a scottish accent, I read the whole thing in my head in a scouse accent!!!

That's written in a local dialect, it's not badly spelled or wrongly written. It probably came more naturally to the poster to write it that way than it would have to write it in the Queen's English (tm).

I can understand that others would have problems reading it and understanding it, but it is aimed at someone in particular, and they probably understood it perfectly well.

Look, I try to write carefully, most of us do. Some of us are not as literate as others, or cannot type as well, or suffer dyslexia, but they are still human beings with feelings who would probably be quite upset by this criticism, and at some level, snobbery, which is effectively what this boils down to.

No one person is better than someone else because they find it harder to spell or make themselves clear. It is a shame that people cannot just live and let live. If it is clear and understandable, why is it so important to pick holes in it?

I feel I need to clarify again that this thread was not started to pick holes in people or insult anyone. I was merely saying something which I personally found irritating, and showed an easy way to remember the spelling. At no point was this intended to cause offence to anyone.

I know not everyone is perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, however I feel this thread has been twisted from a simple light hearted comment, to make it appear as if people are deliberately causing offence to those who have learning difficulties or trouble spelling.

I cannot stress enough that this is not the case.

Personally I find it sad that people aren't entitled to have a discussion about the English Language without being accused of snobbery or picking holes in others.

I use Google Chrome which has a spell check built in, it underlines in red any words I spell wrong. I was surprised, thinking I was good at English, at how many simple words I spelt wrong. My spelling is much better now as a result of the little red underline. :D

Actually, Steve, I think you only need one or the other, not both.
Both would get you into the higher grades.
Yes, you're correct. I was thinking of a distinction of course.

Can I just point out at this time that as I get older (aha- senior moments) I have a devil of a job with the spelling of there, their and they're lol. I assume after many years of trying to avoid that particular pitfall, I seem to fall into it all the time!

Apologies to English teachers everywhere.

I think the crux of this thread is not a slur against our dyslexic friends, not a go at our foreign friends and immigrants, and not a pop at typo-merchants (guilty m'lord).

It is as I see it just plain laziness, or the dreaded text speak. Am I the only one to reply to text-speak texts with please repeat in English?

Must try to be more tolerant:p

I had a look at the posters page and ALL her posts are like that, how anyone can be bothered reading that I dont know lol

Oh and Im Glasgow born and bred.

I must admit Ive deleted a few 'friends' from FB purely because of their posts :eek: (mostly being in text speak)
Where as I just had to delete Facebook!

Absolute dross!

No one person is better than someone else because they find it harder to spell or make themselves clear. It is a shame that people cannot just live and let live. If it is clear and understandable, why is it so important to pick holes in it?

Very much agree. Surely it's the content that's important?

Emily

I'm another spelling and grammar stickler.

I teach Functional Skills (Key Skills, as was) to 16+ year olds, and can say hand on heart that for the vast majority, their bad spelling is down to laziness. How can I know this for sure? Because time after time (yes, I know I shouldn't start sentences with a conjunction...) I'll be marking work with my learners, I'll point at a lower case 'I' and they'll say 'yeah I know, I just can't be bothered to put capitals'. Same with spellings 'yeah I know it's spelt wrong, I couldn't be bothered to ask'. I even had one learner tell me that she 'couldn't be bothered to use full stops' - she used commas instead. I'm still baffled by the logic.

I had this very conversation about poor writing skills with another tutor today - kids coming through school at the moment are told that spelling and grammar aren't important, as long as the message can be understood - which I agree with to an extent. However, if kids are told throughout school that 'spelling and grammar don't matter', where's their incentive to learn?

I'm the first to admit that I've never struggled with spelling, so I'm in no position to understand the struggle that some people do go through. There are several people on my course with dyslexia and other various learning difficulties though, and the one thing they have in common is that every single one of them is so quick to try and pick up on little hints and tricks that might help them, coming up with coping strategies and being desperately keen to improve - I'm no expert, but I think this is the attitude which should be encouraged, rather than 'spelling doesn't matter as long as people understand you'.

To try an analogy... it's like people who struggle with times tables. You could say 'it's ok that you can't do it, in real life you can use a calculator', focussing on the negative 'can't do'. Or, you can acknowledge the difficulty, reassure that there's always a calculator as a back-up, but encourage them and assure them that it's ok to use your fingers, to write out lists of numbers, or whatever other techniques can help you 'get it'.

To come back to topic rather than waffling on.. that's what this thread is, no? Picks up a common misspelled word, and identifies a strategy that can be used to aid memory for those who struggle.

Why can I write reams on things like this on here, but am completely stumped when it comes to essays?!

My current big pet hate, however -

Peoplee whoo writee likee thiss forr noo apparentt reasonn.

All over my Facebook!!

My current big pet hate, however -

Peoplee whoo writee likee thiss forr noo apparentt reasonn.

All over my Facebook!!

Why, oh why do they do this?
I really don't get it. Not one bit. I've asked my daughter and her friends and got a blank look!

At work it annoys me when I see mistakes in spelling and/or grammar. It just seems so unprofessional!!

When I'm chatting to someone on FB or Minimins I couldn't give a sh!t!! I don't want to have to double check everything I write and feel like it's being judged.

As long as there's a certain level of grammar (so that I don't have to spend an age trying to decipher the meaning) then I'm happy. There's nothing worse than no punctuation marks as it can take a few read throughs to get the gyst :sigh:

xxx

There are a lot of mistakes on posts but I wouldn't want to make people worry about it and stop posting as a result.

I agree on this one even though I do think it is infuriating to see simple mistakes..... but hey life is to short to stuff mushrooms !!

I detest test speak in posts and have to stop myself editing them when I see my real bug bear - tomoz

Now this is my pet hate !!! I loathe it. Most of the time I do not understand initial talk and just choose not to participate if it is really beyond me.

Mine is 2 and ru and ur ... grr!!!

Yes !!!
^^ Fair point, there are, but as we have already said, not everyone is the same.

We all have our little niggles and for some of us it's spelling and grammar and text speak!! Oh and I also don't like misuse of apostrophes.....

I think I am guilty of this sometimes and often use to and too incorrectly.

I don't care so much in the forum as it is an informal environment, but we get some howlers at work. People asking for work and not being arsed to use a spell checker.

I agree, not that important here but to use a spellchecker is so easy.

Thankyou he managed a high 2:2 , he was also running a business and a website to provide for our 3 children. I was also studying for a degree in History and working, it was a stressful 3 years but worth all the hard work.:D

That is an amazing achievement as has already been said for anyone let alone someone dyslexic.

My DH is seriously dyslexic and when I first met him just the joy of reading a book defeated him as he saw things differently to the way they were written. We persevered for a year and more and now he enjoys reading albeit slower than most and often has to ask what a word is as he sees it back to front. This certainly does not make him any less intelligent than anyone else in fact he is multi-talented and his porcelain restoration work has to be seen to be believed.

I know we have several dyslexic and at least one autistic person using the forum and I would hate to see anyone stop posting just because of the occasional spelling mistake.

when I write on here or on any other forum or on my facebook for me it is like chatting with friends and not writing a piece of material I expect to be red penned. I am reasonably bright, I know how to spell and I ensure I do in all my professional work but I'll be dammed if I'm going to worry about my spelling or grammar when I am chatting sociably. My opinin is if you don't like how I type don't read it and if you feel the need to delete me on Facebook because of it then who cares you can't have been that great a friend anyway. :rolleyes:

when I write on here or on any other forum or on my facebook for me it is like chatting with friends and not writing a piece of material I expect to be red penned. I am reasonably bright, I know how to spell and I ensure I do in all my professional work but I'll be dammed if I'm going to worry about my spelling or grammar when I am chatting sociably. My opinin is if you don't like how I type don't read it and if you feel the need to delete me on Facebook because of it then who cares you can't have been that great a friend anyway. :rolleyes:

Well said

xx

Yum stuffed with quark, garlic and bacon and grilled :D

I can read and i do a lot.but i can,t spell(Dyslexic).i would really love to join in the talking to you lot more. :(

I can read and i do a lot.but i can,t spell(Dyslexic).i would really love to join in the talking to you lot more. :(

Chat to me whenever you like hun...My brother is dyslexic and whilst I admit it makes me roar laughing sometimes what he writes compared to what he is meant to write it doesn't bother me in the least ;)

Back