Spicy butternut squash soup

Angelie

I thought I would post this recipe up as its absolutely lovely low calorie and low fat!

Dice 1 medium onion, 1 carrot, 2-3 cloves of garlic.
Add two teaspoons of olive oil to a large pan and cook the onion, carrot and garlic for ten minutes (medium heat) until soft.

Roughly chop 1 butternut squash and add to the pan. Add vegetable or chicken stock enough to cover the veg and simmer for 30 minutes. I like to use bouillion mix as it gives a nice flavour. Season the soup and add chilli flakes or fresh chillies according to personal taste (add to pan at the same time as the stock).

After 30 mins the squash should be soft, add to food blender. Its really nice and filling no need to add cream due to the texture of the squash.

For variation you could add sweet potato.

that sounds really nice ill have to give it a go, im making today a carrot, parsnip, potato, butternutsquash and leek soup so i can freeze small quantities

And syn for cream, but I used elmlea single cream in a soup the other day. Only 1 syn per tablespoon!

I have butternut squash in the garden but it's no where near ready yet :cry:

Making this today - no oil or cream. Smells good on the hob.
Is there an easier way to peel bloomin' butternut squash? I used a veg peeler, but the skin is really slippy and hard and kept jamming my peeler.

Back