Splenda's Diary

Splenda

Gold Member
OK, here goes - my diary of daily food and doings with all aspects of low GI living.

Today started out a bit shaky...the problem was yesterday - I had way too much to eat and it wasn't the best of choices. This morning, even though I was still full and my stomach was really not happy I had some of said leftover Bombay mix (which has been binned). I went on an 8 mile walk today so made up for it ;)

Today's choices aren't going to be perfect but it's a start.

handful bombay mix
b- 2 slices burgen bread, flora light, coffee
sn- coffee, splash milk, slice malt loaf
l- 3 oatcakes, low fat hummous, apple slices, pineapple spear
sn- 5 brazil nuts
d- not sure yet - lean meat, veggies

I made a nice chickpea curry and some healthy Bolognese last night so have a few meals in the fridge to help me along this week. I find if I am prepared then it makes it so much easier to stay on track :)

Last edited:
Good luck for your Gi journey.
Today does not look too bad. It is a good plan to have a couple of meals in the fridge. I find, a late evening home can leave it too easy to eat the wrong foods. I'll also make sure I have a portion or two of spicy bean stew or lentil curry in the fridge. Then it just takes a few minutes to heat it up.
Good luck for tomorrow.

Thanks IM
I won't say what I ended up having for my tea last night but it was ordered in :rolleyes: Nevermind as today is a new day and I am on track ;)

Today's plan:
b- 50g porridge (made with half skimmed milk and half water), tbsp raisins, splenda, cinnamon
sn- coffee with splash skimmed milk, small slice malt loaf
l- wrap (with low fat hummous, shredded carrot and rocket), low fat vanilla yogurt, apple slices, tea with splash skimmed milk
sn- small banana (before exercise class)
d- spaghetti bolognese (made with ex lean mince, veggies and portion of whole wheat spaghetti), slice burgen bread with flora light, salad w/balsamic vinegar

I also drink a lot of water throughout the day. 2-3 litres and perhaps a bit more depending on how much exercise I do but I just listen to my body!

I'll be back later to catch up.

Last edited:
Just a thought but have you a little too much high carbs in your menu. There is malt loaf, pasta, burgen bread and wrap. Maybe your portions are very tiny and , if so, you are probably fine.
See how you go but if you are not getting the losses you want you may need to look at your menus.
Have a good day tomorrow.

Cheers for that Irish Molly, all advice much appreciated. I agree, today was carb heavy - some days when I do a lot of activity I up them as I can get quite hungry after it. I do need to watch them though...

How are you getting on today?

x

Last edited:
Was a bit bold tonight. I had a sandwich made on White bread which then triggered a longing for more carbs. Soooooo I had to have an aero bar!!! Then I had a kit Kat! I stopped after that. Snacking can be my downfall so I have to watch it.

White bread always does that to me also and pretzels, which I love, just to name a few... I'm a snacky person and do love my treats but how do you find that happy balance, sometimes when I start, I can't stop...

Today's plan:

b- omelette (1 egg and 1 white, mushrooms, 10g cheese), slice burgen, orange, flora light, coffee with splash milk
l- tuna, borlotti beans, tomato, bit of light salad cream, low fat yogurt with strawberries
sn- grapes, black tea (edited to say: just had a few grapes and then before the gym, I had a 3 oatcakes w/soft cheese and a slice of malt bread - I was starving and didn't want to eat my tea until I got home - still within my cals for the day)
d- lean pork roast, steamed broccoli, baby sweetcorn, cauliflower, bulgur wheat
sn- chai tea with splash skim milk (didn't have this)

Does anyone record their calories also? I know you don't really need to if you stick to the guidelines but I find it helps me keep my portion sizes down (another downfall of mine, large portions! ;)) and I do try to stick around 1400-1500 calories a day so I log my food on myfitnesspal also.

Last edited:
I found keeping an eye on overall cals helped to get portions under control too. I used myfitnesspal a lot initially for that. Although be careful that you don't start banking cals for treats!! I sometimes slumped on main meals to keep cals for treats and this then left me feeling hungry.
Now, I stick to the GL principles and am very careful on portions. I check cals more for information iykwim!
Ikwym about treats in general. Sometimes I will feel more peckish and feel I want something. I try to reach for the water bottle first and may go do something else rather than eat. Evenings on front if the TV are the worst time for me. But, when you think about it, so much if it us just habit!!! For example:
Meet friend for coffee = coffee plus cake
Meet for lunch= eat most carb laden dish on menu
TV= tea and biscuits or sandwich
None of the above has to be like that. We need to view food as fuel. We don't stop at a petrol station every time we pass one, we only stop when the needle is at empty!!
Easier said than done but it is this type if thing we need to think about IMO.
Lots of luck for today.

I know exactly what you mean IM! It really is all about habits and making changes to adjust those habits. I also see food as fuel now as I usually do a lot of activity and I need to fuel my body correctly, it's just finding the right mix. It is hard work but it can be done. A lot of trial and error....

I used to save a lot of cals for treats but like you found that I was just left hungry and that usually lead to a binge of more treats. it can be a vicious circle. Did you get on alright today and manage to stay away from the evil white bread? ;)

I got a cookbook today called Good Housekeeping Easy to Make, Low GI. Some nice looking recipes in there, I can't wait to try some out. It's always nice to have some new ideas.

Today was a bit of a pick n mix day (I like to call them). I need to get a shop in so picked a lot of stuff I had sitting ready in the fridge for today.

b- porridge with raisins, coffee with splash milk
sn- sm bit cottage cheese with tomato, sm slice malt bread
l- hummous, carrot and cucumber sticks, 3 oatcakes with soft cheese, orange
sn- 2 boiled eggs, banana (just now before exercise class)
su- leftover lean pork, steamed veggies

I know a lot of folk swear by porridge in the morning but does anyone find that porridge just doesn't fill them up?

I've been eating around 50g (before cooking with milk & water) and have tried it with numerous things - fruit, yogurt, dried fruit, nuts, peanut butter, etc and it only keeps me full for about 2 hours if I am lucky.

The only thing that seems to keep me full from morning until lunch are eggs and a slice of toast! :)

Last edited:
Oh I got that Good Housekeeping book too. Some lovely recipes in it. The granola is lovely but I make it with a little less oil.
I find porridge the most filling brekkie for me. Go with whatever breakfast fills you best.
I did not have any bread at all today. Porridge for brekkie, rye crackers and quorn beef slices with salad for lunch and bean stew fir dinner. Dessert was yoghurt and blueberries. Snacks were an apple, two trail mix bars and a small chocolate bar!!! Full up and done for the day, I hope.

biggirl86, I loove brown sugar on porridge...I sometimes sprinkle it on when the porridge is hot and it makes this nice syrupy bit on the top...yum!

Glad your day was on track IM! Can I ask what kind of trail mix bars you have?

Does anyone have the Quaker Oat Bars for snacks?

I've picked a few recipes to try from the book - the granola being one of them. Beef Tomatoes with Bulgur, Healthy Burgers and the Sesame Beef ones look lovely. There are more but I would be here all day listing them :D

Be back later to post menu.

I get the Nature Valley chewy trail mix berry bars. Best of all are the Nakd range of bars as there is no added sugars in these at all.
Remember, a lot of the so called healthy bars have a lot of hidden sugars in them so it is often better to just have a small kit Kat or treat size choc bar to satisfy your craving. GL recommends using 75% or higher chocolate and having just a few squares. It does help as it is very rich and you just would not want any more. I sometimes grate a little of it over some yoghurt and fruit! Yum!

Thanks for the trail bar tip!

Or should I say trail mix bar tip!

I got some at Tesco earlier tonight and they are ace!! I've never noticed those ones as always see the other Nature Valley bars (the crunchy ones) and I don't like them.

Food for today:
Was starving this morning as was at exercise class last night and then was not able to eat my tea as something came up unexpectedly.

b- 2 boiled eggs, 2 slices burgen, coffee
sn- 3 oatcakes, soft cheese, highlights hot choc
lu- chickpea curry, bit of rice
sn- trail mix bar, coffee
d- chicken tikka skewers, salad
sn- graze chilli rice cakes (not low gi at all but tasty ;))

Last edited:
Today was the first day I felt satisfied, I feel this is the right way to eat for me. I'm focusing less on what I shouldn't have and more on what I can actually have, if that makes sense, and I don't feel deprived.

I also made homemade granola from the recipe book I mentioned and it is fab, it also kept me full until well over noon, I'm very pleased.

b- granola, low fat vanilla yogurt, strawberries, coffee x2
sn- cottage cheese
lu- spag bol, 2 pieces chocolate
sn- sm banana (before exercise)
d- chickpea curry, bit of rice
sn- 3 oatcakes, soft cheese

Great to hear you are getting on well on GL. When is your weigh in? Dead excited to know how you get on!

I've not really set out a weigh in day IM but did weigh myself yesterday and I was down a pound :D Quite pleased as I am a very slow loser.

In past I found I was weighing myself every day which really shouldn't be the only indicator in being healthy - there are other things I like to focus on - how my clothes fit, my measurements, how fit I am. My clothes are also feeling better which is a very good feeling!

This coming week I have so much on - a hotel stay, a wedding, lots of visiting, eating and drinking :eek: So I may not weigh myself until the week after. I hope to just stay the same this coming week and I'll be taking a few supplies (trail bars, oat cakes,etc) with me so I won't be swayed by other unhealthy options ;) Then again, it's up to me what I choose to eat so I'll make the best choices possible.

Saying that my food yesterday was great but today has been a bit dodgy :rolleyes: and I have had a few treats - which is fine but my body isn't too happy about it. So line drawn and the rest of my meals today shall be better chosen!!

I've got a big pot of lentil, ham and veg soup on the hob for tea later, yum.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday!

Sounds like you are being very realistic and viewing this as a long term plan. I think that's a great viewpoint as you won't be tempted to give up. Measurements, clothes fitting and how you feel are all good indicators. I think a weekly weigh in day will also be good. For me, the scales going down or up won't matter but do give me a realistic reference point.
Good luck for the coming week.

Your food sounds yum!!!

True IM, the scale is a good indicator but there have been times where I was letting it rule my overall progress, which is v annoying, when I know full well I had a good week and the scale said otherwise... Now that I only have half a stone to get rid of, I don't want to become too obsessed with weighing myself but I know I still need it to stay on track. Maybe every second week...would be better.
Have a good week as well! :)

Thanks shrinkingannie, how are you getting on?

My day today wasn't bad food wise, felt full all day and didn't eat all my fruit I'd packed.

b- homemade granola, soya milk, coffee
sn- 3 chocs (someone brought in - ooops!)
lu- oatcakes and soft cheese (I had lovely lentil soup I made but it had gone off!! bleugh), apple slices, sm pot hummous with carrots
sn- trail mix bar and raisins before exercise class
d- tikka turkey skewers, salad

Last edited:
Back