Puddings St Clements Chocolate Crunch

Pootler

Makes 8 portions. (5.5 syns per slice, or 3.5 syns and 1/2 a HexB)

INGREDIENTS

4 eggs, separated
170 g fromage frais or quark
juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
juice and grated rind of 1 orange
5 sheets gelatine (or about 2 sachets)
pinch of salt
10 tablespoons sweetener
112 g Bran Flakes, crunched into crumbs
100 g dark chocolate

METHOD

• Line the bottom of a spingform cake tin with greaseproof paper.
  • Melt chocolate. Add bran flakes. Mix. Press into bottom of cake tin and chill until set.
  • Cook yolks, rinds, juice and sweetener in a bowl over a pan of boiling water, whisking, constantly until you have a thick, frothy custard.
  • Put gelatine in small bowl with about 5 tablespoons water. Microwave for a few seconds, remove and stir. Repeat until gelatine is dissolved.
  • Mix gelatine solution into custard.
  • Put in fridge to cool for about an hour.
  • When cool, gently mix in fromage frais.
  • Whisk egg whites and salt until they form peaks. Gently fold into custard and fromage frais mixture.
  • Spoon over base. Chill for 2 hours.

looks yummy...

only trouble is I don't trust the eggs here enough to have raw whites..

You could probably make it without the egg whites actually. All they do is give it a light, fluffy texture like mousse. Believe me, the mixture is yummy enough without the egg whites... it nearly didn't make it onto the chocolate base when I made it!

Last edited:
This sounds like something we used to have for school dinners, a chocolate cornflake base with orange blancmange on top. Was oddly yummy!

Ha! That's EXACTLY what I was trying to recreate! I have craved that pudding ever since I left school at 18 and I'm so glad I figured out how to make it. :)))

I wonder if that recipe for firm set mullerlight mousse stuff would work? Using an orange muller and orange jelly for the topping?

I'm sure that would work. Any recipe for a citrus mousse would, probably.

I think next time I make it I'll make the base thinner, maybe even half the amounts. It was pretty thick, and cost a lot of syns this way. Hubby said he needed a chisel to eat it the first time we had it. It softened up a bit later though.

A word of warning in case there is anyone as dim as me!

I thought I'd try adapting this and making using the muller light + sugar free jelly option (went for rasberry flavour jelly, vanilla and choc sprinkles yoghurt and blended with some frozen raspberries)

It might have worked - if my springform cake tin had been water tight - it wasn't! Jelly/yoghurt mix everywhere!

Might try again, but this time either line the cake tin with foil to make it water tight, or maybe try using a silicone cake tin - once its set I'm guessing you can peel off the rubbery cake tin.

mandy296 said:

I thought I'd try adapting this and making using the muller light + sugar free jelly option (went for rasberry flavour jelly, vanilla and choc sprinkles yoghurt and blended with some frozen raspberries)

It might have worked - if my springform cake tin had been water tight - it wasn't! Jelly/yoghurt mix everywhere!

Might try again, but this time either line the cake tin with foil to make it water tight, or maybe try using a silicone cake tin - once its set I'm guessing you can peel off the rubbery cake tin.

The way I did it, the mousse was already set when I put it on the base so it didn't leak. But a leakproof tin might help. ;-)

Thanks for the tip - sounds exactly like something i would do!

This sounds yummy:) I think I will have to have a go at making this. x

Back